“Great food in Barracks, which is nice.” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #220 of 455 restaurants in Charlottesville
Charlottesville
“Great food in Barracks, which is nice.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2008

I read the review above, and I'm sort of astounded. I had the completely opposite experience. I've been there around three times since it opened, and ever since that first visit the owner has remembered me. That first visit I ate in the restaurant, and service was great. We weren't rushed. The only time the owner came by to interrupt us was to make sure that we were happy with the food and to see if we needed anything.
Since then, every visit he has welcomed us. I hear him on the phone and it sounds like he extends that same courtesy to everyone.
I don't doubt the person above, but don't let it turn you off this place. I can only imagine it was a bad day, because I have never had an experience like that at Aroma's.

71% Recommend
Virginia
“Go elsewhere”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2008

I loved this restaurant when it was at its previous location at the Natural Resources Drive in Charlottesville VA. I recently dined for lunch at its new location on Barracks Road and was extremely disappointed in the behavior of owner and staff and food preparation.

My friends and I were meeting for lunch at a designated time to enjoy a meal together.

A few of us arrived early and while we were waiting for the last person to show, we sat at a table to review the menu prior to ordering with the cashier. We were approached by the owner and told we could not hold the table as the restaurant was busy at lunchtime. The restaurant was empty at that time. We explained we were waiting for our friend to arrive and we would promptly place our order. (Our friend arrived on time)

While our friend was reviewing the menu, an employee approached us to remind us to order at front - no orders taken at table, except at dinner. We explained we knew that and was just reviewing the menu.

We placed our order and the food was brought to our table. But my Shawarma sandwich was mostly bread and short on meat - different from previous experiences. My friend's soup had a layer of oil on top. It was already a stressful environment, so it wasn't worth mentioning.

In the span of 35 minutes, employees came by our table three times and asked if they could clear our table. Each time - we still have food on our plates. It became uncomfortable.

But the worst was when the owner clapped his hands and announced to several tables that everyone who had finished must "go back to work". That was just plain rude behavior on part of the owner. There was not a line at the counter and there were empty tables. There were shoppers, travelers, students and people like us, enjoying a casual lunch.

Normal people respect a busy restaurant during the lunch hours and just want to eat and enjoy casual conversation and leave. We deserved that respect - not to have our lunch interrupted a total of six times.

So if the intent is to gain customers by shortening people's dining experience, that is pure greed. At the least, post a sign on the front door stating "30 minute" maximum seating time.

Go elsewhere.