“A Date” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Downtown Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #36 of 464 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 2nd
Charlottesville
“A Date”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I took a date to dine at the Downtown Grille. I had heard great things and I assure you I was not disappointed. She and I both well and left feeling stuffed! The bartender was very nice while we waited for our table to be ready (a short 5 or so minutes, but she was nice enough to mention!). I will return.

Visited July 2012

Shenandoah National Park, Virginia
“Good experience but pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We enjoyed our dinner at the Downtown Grille located on the walking mall in downtown Charlottesville. You have the option of dining in or outside alongside the street, there are white cloth tablecloths on the tables and candles which makes for a lovely dining experience. Our waiter was professional and somewhat attentive, although he could have come by a little more often to check on our needs.

We were told that this was one of downtown Charlottesville's nicer restaurants and I have no doubt this is indeed correct. We had a New York strip steak which was tasty but VERY salty. I asked for it to be done medium-well and it arrived very overcooked - part of it was so tough, it took me quite some time to cut it with a steak knife. We also ordered some swordfish (or halibut - can't recall) concoction which we liked.

The downside was that everything was a l a carte, my 12-oz steak was $32, I believe, which I think was high. I ordered a side of asparagus which ended up enough for three people, and my baked potato was giant, but very tasty. We had only tap water, no other drinks and no dessert, and our bill was $106. I felt this was quite high, considering the quality of my steak. I would have sent it back but we didn't have the time to wait another half hour, so I didn't complain. All-in-all, this was a good dining experience.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Palmyra, Virginia
“dining out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

The service,food,wine,people are a welcome change from the ordinary.
The prices may seem a bit pricey to some,but you only get what you pay for.
One suggestion is to make a reservation,even if you are only 2 people

Visited August 2012
North Carolina
“great food and atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Great food choices. A steak house at heart but has many side dishes. Old world look inside with a young vibe outside. Great people watching and wonderful servers.

Visited August 2012
“Old Fashioned Chop House”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

Reliable, old fashioned chop house with nicely prepared predictable fare. Good service and an excellent wine list.