“Check your bill” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Clifton Inn

You added Clifton Inn to your Saves list
Clifton Inn
1296 Clifton Inn Drive, Charlottesville, VA 22911   |
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Check your bill”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Some strong pros and cons here. I have dined here several times and THREE times the check has been wrong, in their favor. the last time was this past week by about $40.00. They charge by the number of courses you order and the last two times they have charged us for more courses than we ordered (or had). So, be aware. But the chef is very good and the food tends to be interesting and tasty. I have only stayed overnight once, and it was a very comfortable, pleasant room with nice bedding and sitting area, and we enjoyed the infinity pool. The service tends to be slow and rather uneven, though, and the grounds could stand some manicuring, so in some ways it is a bit overpriced and overhyped.

Room Tip: The Blue Ridge room has a very nice sitting area. However, it does share a wall with the dining roo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
___027, General Manager at Clifton Inn, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Thank you for being so positive about our Chef and his cuisine. We are all big fans here as well, so we are pleased that you appreciate. Also that you enjoyed the comfortable bedrooms and the other services and amenities that we offer such as the infinity pool.

We have reached out to the reviewer, but have not yet heard back and hope soon we will. We are utterly appalled that the wrong bill has been presented on three occasions. That is no way to run a restaurant and we know it. We have put in stringent steps to ensure that this inevitable human error never happens again by installing both manual and computer double checks and "safety nets."

We honestly do appreciate all feedback, it sounds like really old world weary cliché, but here we really do act on feedback.

Niall Reid

The Clifton Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Fairfax, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

So this was a very special weekend for me and I needed everything to go right. While the proposal prior to arriving didn't go exactly as planned (I hear they never do), the Clifton Inn was close to perfect. Its age and elegance were perfect, and even walking into the room after driving through Northern VA traffic on a friday evening to get there, it was nice coming into a warm and welcoming room. The music playing and the complementary wine were a great touch.

The only thing that keeps it from getting a perfect would have been if they had someone at the front to help unload the bags and valet the car. That would have put this place over the top. The views were simple but elegant, the rooms were dated (the place was built back in the 1700's) but restored and well maintained. The service was excellent as was the selection of the wine.

If it wasn't soo expensive we would probably frequent there more (price is probably another reason why it wasn't 5 across the board). We had breakfast there each morning and it was great, simple selection of standard choices but every tasty. Dinner was great as well very nice experience. It was in February so the fires going in the fire place during breakfast was a nice touch.

My Fiance couldn't stop saying good things about the place and would love to go back, after the wedding and some saving we probably will. Overall great experience no major complaints, a great starting overall.

Pros: Great ambiance, Landscape is beautiful, Rooms warm and inviting, Bathroom was great, Parting gifts were great, and Wine (we bought a bottle as well)

Cons: A little pricy but great value, no valet service (I am sure if asked they could have provided..but for a prefect score you don't have to ask for things)

Room Tip: Don't know what room we had but which ever one it was it was pretty big, I think the biggest one...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Barnegat, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

This historic inn is part of the French Relais & Chateaux system and is just beautiful. My niece was married on site and spent several days before and after the wedding there. The inn is so quaint and well appointed that I would not hesitate to stay here! The infinity pool on the grounds was beautiful as were the grounds themselves.
The rooms all had period furniture mixed with modern luxuries such as a surround sound system, flat screen televisions and beautiful walk-in glass showers with shower heads to cleanse us from all directions!
The meals, including the wedding reception meal, were delicious and well-prepared. The staff was attentive to every need of the bridal party and the guests.
The location is within 5 minutes of Monticello and the property is very quiet and wooded.
I would most certainly stay here if I were in the area again--absolutely loved it!

Room Tip: There are a coupole of 'out buildings'/cottages which may offer more solitude for those not...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

This is the 2nd year in a row that my husband and I have taken a weekend to spend at the Clfton to celebrate our anniversary. The staff is amazing. The honeymoon suite is spectacular, which we stayed in last year. This year we stayed in one of the suites facing the lake which was so beautiful, quiet and peaceful. The rooms are very much the essence of Charlottesville, bringing you back to the days of Thomas Jefferson. Each room come with complimentary Meidera wine which was the wine drank over special occasions during that era. Thomas Jefferson toasted the signing of the delcaration of independence with it and it is probably my favorite part of staying there. The only thing I would say is that the restaurant at the Clifton is overpriced and not as good as it should be for the money spent. Charlottesville is filled with amazing restaurants and there is so much to do there. Love, Love, Love the Clifton. Can't wait to go back next year.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

First off, I visited Clifton many years ago. It was a lovely country inn. Three years ago, we went to a wedding there which was stunningly beautiful. Needing a one night break, my husband and I went back and found Clifton to be even more beautiful. The grounds are impeccible.
Sunning ourselves by the elegant infinity pool, we were interupted by a nice young girl bearing a tray of iced tea and goodies at 4 pm. Tiny biscuits, fruit, lemon curd. The pool has the most decadent water proof "beds" you can float in and gaze at the sky.
Dinner was the best part. While other reviewers have complained about the tiny portions, think of this as modern "cuisine minceur." You can choose as many plates as you wish. Each bite was full of fresh flavor and a true gourmet experience. Tempura mushrooms, fresh cured charcuterie, cheeses, a creamy avocado soup as an amuse buche, beet salad, heirloom tomatoes the size of blueberries, tuna tartare, squash agnoloti to die for, a braised pork, and the most delicious grilled rib eye steak. Yes, this is no Olive Garden and the prices are actually quite reasonable. Our server Pam had worked at the Inn at Little Washington and she was so funny and great natured.
We stayed in the Lewis Meriweather room which was perfect; comfortable bed, cool and sweet smelling, fabulous shower and interesting antiques.
Breakfast was french brioche toast and the most tantalizing sausages.
This was indeed 24 hours of pampered bliss and yes it does come at a cost, but you're worth it.
No wonder this has earned the inclusion as a Relaix & Chateau property. Clifton exudes an old worldy but modern, European charm without the language barrier.
Service is outstanding. Clifton just keeps getting better year after year and with it's new young chef who grows his own herbs and vegetables the fare is attracting national attention.
I just wished I lived in Charlottesville so I could go more often. But turning out of the gravel circular driveway, hearing the soft bird calls and smelling the lavendar, we knew we'd be back.
Thank you to everyone for such a memorable stay.

Room Tip: They are all good.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

My fiancee and I stayed at Clifton Inn while considering it for our wedding. Everyone we encountered was so nice and helpful that I actually feel bad writing this review, but I think the current rating of this property is very misleading.

We stayed in the Honeymoon Suite which was very cute, but in need of some major updating. The shower and entire bathroom was so outdated and uncomfortable that we actually didn't want to shower during our stay. Additionally, the air conditioning unit in the room was so loud that it woke us up every time it turned on (which was about every hour throughout the night because it was a hot weekend). There were also several ants and various flying bugs in the room.

We did bring our dog and they do treat animals very well! We felt very comfortable traveling with her at this hotel.

Then there was dinner which was expensive and extremely average. The steak I ordered came out well done instead of meadium rare (they took it off the bill), my tuna had no taste and the portions were small.

The surprise was when we got our final bill. Over $1200 for one weekend when the room charge should have been $295 per night! There were lots of hidden charges and fees that we didn't know about upfront.

While people were so kind to us all weekend, I'd still rather spend my $1200 at a real 5 star hotel next time so my fiancee and I will not be returning to this property.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
___027, General Manager at Clifton Inn, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Hi Lauren,

First of all congratulations on your forthcoming marriage. That's good news, and we wish you and Rory all the best !

Lauren is right, we offer great service and the Honeymoon Cottage is very cute.

We do take guest feedback very seriously, it sounds like a cliché, but here it genuinely is not - we listen and we act. I get the angle from where Lauren is coming from, and we do have a lot of these minor alterations scheduled for in a overhaul at the end of the season in the Honeymoon Cottage. But we will be maintaining the charm and uniqueness of the property which was built in the 1700's.

Kind regards,

Niall Reid
Westminster, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

We recently stayed at the Clifton Inn.

The property is lovely, the Pool Outstanding, The grounds lovely, the restaurent and staff fantastic.

The room we stayed in, Peony was lovely and extremely spacious. They need to work on the bathroom in that unit as the sink is loose from the wall. Other than that is was wonderful.

The only bad was when we checked in and out. Their welcoming personal leaves a lot to be desired. We had reserved two rooms for two separate couples and when we checked in we were not allowed to put them onto the two separate names. Hence when we went to dinner the charges got confused. on the final tickets.

I still am not sure if the amount that was charges was corrected although they said that it was. I will check my card. The front staff was not able to correct the charges when we checked out but assured us would be done.

Kind of a funny way to run a business when the checkin and checkout people can not correct things and the people who do that are not available, and the lady didn't seem to want to be bothered.

Beautiful property all in all but front staff needs some customer service lessons.

Room Tip: The rooms were very spacious and comfy. They were clean and had nice amenities. I think that any r...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Clifton Inn? Share your experiences!