“Great views, great apples,peaches” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Type: Farms, Outdoors
More attraction details
Owner description: Located next to Monticello and Michie Tavern, Carter Mountain Orchard is family-owned and operated. Our mountaintop location affords spectacular views of Charlottesville, the Piedmont, and the Blue Ridge Mountains. Open April through November, we offer Pick-Your-Own and pre-picked Peaches and Nectarines (June-August) and Pick Your Own and pre-picked Apples (mid-August through November). Our bakery serves fresh-baked pies and cookies, hand-dipped ice cream, and our famous Apple Cider Donuts! Apple Cider, Apple Butter, jams and jellies, local crafts, pumpkins, and gourmet food products available in our country store. Wine tasting and sales on site, and the Mountain Grille serves lunch. Our school tours are popular-call for reservations. Scouts, Youth Groups, Seniors welcome. Family friendly. Please see our website for more details
Charlottesville, Virginia
3 attraction reviews
“Great views, great apples,peaches”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

We always take out of town guests up to Carter Mountain Orchard when they visit. The view is great and it's just fun to walk around and taste/buy whatever fruit is in season. And it's free.

Visited September 2013

Charlottesville, Virginia
“Views and apples at Carter's Mountain”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Lovely views and delicious fruits! Make sure you get some of their famous Apple cider doughnuts. My favorite time to visit is in the fall when the leaves are at their peak. Fun for young and old alike!

mechanicsville, MD
44 attraction reviews
“pick your own or buy from the bins - good either way”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

We were too late in the day to bother picking our own, so bought quite a few varieties from the pre-picked bins (prices from the bins were about $1.29/lb) York, Pippins, Romes, etc. they also have a food stand to keep up your stamina for the day.

Visited November 2013
Houston, Texas
9 attraction reviews
“Loved Picking Our Own Apples”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

This was something I don't normally do and had a great time. We don't live anywhere near an orchard and I really enjoyed walking through the orchard looking for apples to pick and eat during our week of vacation.
It was very close to Monticello so we came here after touring the house.
I like Fuji apples and that was one of the varieties we were able to pick that day. They gave us a bag and we took the short walk to the trees. We walked back several rows because on the closest rows it was hard to find any apples down where I could reach them.
After picking apples we walked back to the gift shop and got some apple butter and some apple cider donuts which were really good. We also got some apple cider which I enjoyed. You pay by the pound for the apples. They also have apples available for purchase and if you choose those the charge is per apple rather than by how much they weigh.
When we got to our hotel room I washed all the apples with shampoo from the room and then they were ready to eat that week. Those were the juiciest apples I remember eating.
I think this would be a great family activity.

Richmond, Virginia
5 attraction reviews
“Loved it - Great Family Fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

We wanted to go see the changing leaves on the drive up to Charlottesville, but they hadn't starting changing much yet, so we decided to go Apple Picking instead. Found this place and it is great. Had a wonderful day enjoying the view, the delicious apples, the food and the atmosphere. Lovely overall day. Only thing I did not like was the narrow road up the mountain, good thing my husband was driving, cause I don't think I could have done it. You can pick as many apples as you like, you just pay for them by the pound (you can taste test them first) the Pink Lady Apples are to die for. We will be making this an annual event.