“Outstanding food and service” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Shebeen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #35 of 464 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: West Main St
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Outstanding food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I came here with my wife and son and we were amazed at the dining experience. The menu is quite varied with a mix of South African dishes and things that are more easily recognized. The food was great and everyone enjoyed it very much. My wife got the salmon with mealie pap (delicious grits) and vegetables. My steak was perfectly cooked and my son really enjoyed his Durban chicken dish. The server was knowledgeable with our many questions about unfamiliar food and our meal came out quickly despite it being a busy Saturday night. We will definitely be coming back!

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

McLean, Virginia
“Eat at this restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

We were in Charlottesville for parents' weekend, so all of our favorite restaurants were booked between 5:45 and 8:45. So, we looked at Trip Advisor for recommendations, and found that a lot of our fellow TA'ers liked this place, and decided to give it a try. We got a table with our daughter for 7:00. All I can say is that the food was sensational. If you are in Charlottesville, don't miss it.
The ambiance is very good. They were pretty busy, so service was a little slow, but we were in no hurry, and all the food arrived at table piping hot, so no harm done. We tried the samosas and the fried onion rings for appetizers. The samosas were hot, crispy and flavorful. The onion rings were likewise crisp and not greasy and came with a somewhat spicy sauce. Delectable!
There are a number of tempting lamb dishes on the menu (along with many other dishes for those of you who don't care for lamb). I settled on the braised lamb shank (osso buco). It was delicious. My wife had the grilled salmon. It was the best salmon I ever had-perfectly seasoned and flavorful.
So, while a South African restaurant may seem unusual, don't be put off. You won't regret dining there!

Visited September 2013
Arlington, VA
“Better than average food, terrible service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

My husband took me here for my birthday and I was excited to try a new cuisine. He told them it was my birthday when he made the reservation, and when we arrived we were sat at a tiny, rickety table directly in front of the doors leading into the kitchen. And when I say rickety, I am not exaggerating. The table was so uneven our water glasses sloshed with every move. I was slightly irritated at this point but wanted to enjoy my birthday so my husband put a wad of paper under the uneven leg and we moved on. After sitting for over 5 minutes without a waiter in sight, I finally put in a drink order. It took 20 minutes from the time we walked in to get my glass of wine. To be fair, I don't think it was the waiters fault, the restaurant looked to be super short staffed. However, the hostess walked by us several times during this process without even a glance. She was completely indifferent and looked like she'd rather be anywhere else. The food was good, but not great. The decor was nice, reminded me of a pub. Oh yeah, and my birthday was never acknowledged. A simple 'thanks for choosing the shebeen for your birthday' would have gone far. Considering all these factors, I am confident in saying I will not be going back again.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Exotic Comfort Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The South African inspired dishes here are great, hearty comfort food with just enough exotic ness to satisfy your adventure cravings. The braised meats, vegetarian dishes, and samp & beans side are all particularly successful. I would steer you towards the more African-seeming items.

Visited December 2012
“My taste buds tingled with each bite!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Quietly tucked in to the corner of the shopping center is a relaxing, welcoming pub! The staff was super attentive and personable even at 10 pm in the evening. The atmosphere was a warm relaxing and worldly decorated. The portions for the price paid were excellent. My taste buds tingled with each bite. Forced myself to finish everything on my plate!

• Visited August 2013