“A favorite lunch spot” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Shebeen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #53 of 430 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Romantic, Doing business, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: West Main St
Harrisonburg, Virginia
“A favorite lunch spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

This is one of my favorite lunch spots in Ch'ville. We don't have to wait for a table, we can hear each other talk, and the music is terrific. The food is good too- we especially like the curried chicken salad, soups and fish and chips.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Greenville, South Carolina
“Great place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

This was recomended by staff at our hotel.....So very glad we took her advice....The menu was great I found lots I would like to have had....settled for rack of lamb** It was superb!! My husband had fish and chips...He said they were great...I didn't think they looked remarkable...but he is not as fussy as I am..Service was great... reason for not excellant rating ...very noisy place...that did make it fun but I really could have done with a quieter dinner...However I will definately go back when in one of our fav towns.......

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Seattle, Washington
“Yum!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We shared the calamari, samosas, and the lamb curry potjie between two people. Everything was great! The samosas especially reminded me of what I had in South Africa and were exactly what I was looking for. Yum!

Visited December 2012
Rocky Mount, North Carolina
“Yummm!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Really interesting food, well prepared. You have to try the False Bay Crispies! Even better when you can eat outside!

Visited December 2012
Virginia
“A single bump in the road but great recovery.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

It was my second visit in as many months. First was for lunch, I kept it simple with a nice hamburger.
Second visit was for dinner just this week. Weather was nasty and many locations in town closed early. Light crowd, but we all arrived at the same time and they only had one server on duty and she was rushed but did a good job.. I ordered the Peri-peri chicken, my dining mates ordered a fish-n-chips, shrimp k-bobs and a salad. Fish was a commercial product of good quality, salad was pronounced very good, shrimp was spicy and called very good and we all shared the mealie pap and loved it. We also shared an appetizer of veggie samosas with mango chutney that was tasty. My chicken was a bummer. Terribly overcooked the dark meat was barely edible and the white meat was toast. Side dishes of mixed veg and mashed spuds was steamy hot and very tasty. It happens, whatchagonnado? We were rushed for a concert, the server offered to bring another but we didn't have the time so the server adjusted the bill accordingly and we left happy.

• Visited December 2012