“Peri-Peri Chicken is outstanding” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Shebeen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #37 of 465 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: West Main St
Richmond, Virginia
“Peri-Peri Chicken is outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I've visited this restaurant twice now within the same weekend and it's without a doubt in my 'top 3' list for restaurants in Charlottesville. Peri-Peri Chicken is outstanding - not too spicy but enough to make it interesting. Mango chutney served alongside gives an interesting flavor. Highly recommend the mealie pap (buttery cheese grits) as one of your sides. Also highly recommend the Brigadier's Steak Pie and our daughter really enjoyed the fish n' chips. When I'm in C'ville, this restaurant is always at the top of my list.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Ruckersville, Virginia
“One of the best in Charlottesville”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I have visited this restaurant three times in the span of a month, or so. I saw a local TV spot and decided it looked interesting enough to try. I am glad we tried it. The Stellenbosch Sampler is so savory, I just obsesses about the intense flavor of the chicken satay; the Brinjal Fries are made up of eggplant and they are delicious-what a great idea. The Samosas in the sampler are equally tasty. I like a rich flavor profile and just about everything in the menu delivers. I do not normally like lamb because of the "gamey" taste; however, the Sosatie- a "cubed local Retreat Farm lamb...marinated for twenty four hours" is just amazing. I did not detect any of the weird flavor I tend to dislike when I try lamb.
The experience with the Sosatie led me to be daring and try the Shepherd's Pie made with lamb and not beef. it was equally amazing, but there is a hint of the taste I dislike, but overall a great choice. Today, I tried their special soups. One of the best baked potato soups-the potatoes were succulent and well cooked.
The ambiance is the casual yet elegant. I think you could dress-up, or down and it wouldn't matter, The staff is helpful and friendly. We have eaten at the restaurant and at the bar and they have been very positive experiences. I believe they are involved with charity in South Africa and it is something I love to see in a business.
Every time I visit, I am excited and the food is something to be excited about. It is the kind of food that makes me giddy and happy there are creative chefs that can prepare meals that are interesting and exciting.
I have been to Africa, never to South Africa, but the spices are bright and intense; the ingredients seem to be locally sourced as they are in Africa- a winning combination. I have also been to the UK and they seem to have a happy balance of styles between both.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
St. Petersburg, Florida
“It was good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Nothing spectacular. Presentation was good. Food was good. One of our party enjoyed it tremendously while the other 3 were so so with their entrees. Nothing to complain about. Nothing to rave about.

Visited August 2012
Waynesboro, VA
“Nice to try something differnent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Not your everyday food. It was very good and we would like to try again. If you like different tastes this is the place for you.

Visited October 2011
Palmyra, Virginia
“resturants”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Do not let the name fool you or the fact that is in a little corner of Vinegar Hill,,,I had the best Shepherds pie I have ever had in this resturant and have gone back for it again and again

Visited August 2012