“Not so great!” 2 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1803 Emmet Street N, Charlottesville, VA 22901   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #23 of 33 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“Not so great!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

The hotel was nicely situated near the University of Virginia where I had business. The staff was very friendly and check-in was easy. The room was comfortable. I had two problems! The first was the hot breakfast. The hot breakfast did not have any breakfast meat just eggs. One of the reasons I book this hotel was to avoid having to find a place to eat breakfast early in the morning. The second problem was the cleanliness of the hotel room. I was in a non-smoking room. I dropped my earpiece and it went down under the bed. When I got down to retrieve the earpiece I noticed a cigarette bud under the bed. So much for a smoke free room!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Sarah H, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn University, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Thank you for choosing us for your overnight accommodations while working at the University of Virginia. I am glad to hear you were comfortable during your stay.

I would like to apologize for the disappointments that occurred during your stay. Our complimentary breakfast buffet does include a breakfast meat each day. On the day of your stay, the offering was chipped beef which, while popular with most guests, may have been overlooked in the crockpot where we keep it hot. Thanks to your bringing this to our attention, we are considering a way to label the selection.

I do apologize that your room was not squeaky clean. Unfortunately, guests will occasionally decline to honor the no smoking status of their rooms and we try to catch that failure and to deep clean the rooms sufficiently that non-smoking guests are not negatively impacted. We obviously failed in that endeavor in the room you occupied. I have shared your feedback with our housekeeping department and we are reviewing our room inspection procedures.
I hope you will stay with us again soon so that we can have the opportunity to exceed your expectations!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Ashburn, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

Overall the hotel itself is nice. However we experienced a few problems from check in until check out. When we checked in all was fine, until we opened the door of our room to find a queen bed rather than the King room we had confirmation of. Luckily even though the hotel was sold out we were able to move one room over to a King bed. Wifi was very slow throughout our stay and would occassionally drop. While we didn't spend too much time in the room it was clean, the bed was comfortable and multiple pillows to choose from. The worst part about our stay would have to be the lack of wake up call on our last morning at the hotel. Seeing as you spring forward for Daylight Saving Time, we wanted to have a backup alarm in case our smartphones were dumb and didn't spring ahead. We spoke the the desk staff Saturday night said you all will spring forward, correct? Yes we were told. Fabulous we requested a 5:30am wake up call as we had to be a horse show at 6:15. 5:30 came and went and no wake up call. Luckily our own devices went off, but the one day a year you really want reassurance and it didn't happen. When we checked out we were not asked how our stay was, but did offer up we were dissapointed about the lack of call. Hopefully this was passed along to the manager. Also be on the lookout, checkout was super slow this morning and we forgot to request the safe charge be removed at checkout. Check your receipt before you leave!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Sarah H, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn University, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community. Feedback from our guests is very important to us and your input helps with our continuing efforts to provide excellent service and a great stay.

Please accept my apologies for the disappointments that occurred during your stay, especially for the lack of a wake up call. As you guessed, our phone system did not automatically adjust for daylight saving time as the clerk on duty assumed it would. We are truly sorry for the inconvenience this caused you and we are glad to hear your own back up alarms did the trick!

We sincerely hope that you will consider staying with us again the next time you visit Charlottesville so we can have the opportunity to exceed your expectations.
Washington Grove, MD
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

I was going to a hockey tournament with my son and booked the hotel. I was looking for a reasonably priced hotel with breakfast included and wi-fi! That's it! O and a couple of beds!

upon check in I was given a room that was already occupied by someone else. We went to the front desk and the nice clerk gave us another room but didn't explain what happened. Sometimes you want to know so you don't wonder if someone will walk in on me? How can this happen at a hotel? Either they know no one is there or not!

The wi fi did not work and was out from the time I checked in at 3:30 pm to 8:30 at night. Once it was fixed it was very slow. I mean slow! I stay at quite a few hotels and this one was sub-par.

Breakfast was not good. The quality of the food was pretty bad and the food buffet was right on top of the tables where people were eating so it made for a very tight and uncomfortable experience. I am not one to complain about the buffet at hotels and in general am not picky about food but this just lacked.

Checkout: 1st I am used to getting a receipt under my door and just walking out. I had to go to the front desk to check out. And then I noticed a $1 charge which was cryptic but I found out it was for the safe I didn't even use. The desk clerk told me it was automatically added and she took it off. That's pretty petty to charge a $1 fee for the safe regardless of use.

Room Tip: 1st floor rooms are right on the parking lot with windows that do open!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Bedford, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Visited Charlottesville for the weekend with a friend. Comfort Inn on Emmett St. was a pleasant surprise. Older hotel but comfy beds, clean and quiet room, nice basic breakfast, and wonderful staff. Special recognition to Joyce and Laura for helping a lost guest get there (that includes patience since I had to call four times). All front desk staff were always willing to answer questions, get an extra blanket, yep give more directions, and hold onto a lost meaningful pillow of my friend. Next visit this will be where we stay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Sarah H, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn University, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Thank you for letting us know how much you and your friend enjoyed your recent stay at our property! Our entire team, especially Joyce and Laura, will be delighted to hear such positive feedback.
We set high standards for product, service and cleanliness and it is very gratifying to hear that we met those standards during your stay. On behalf of the entire Comfort Inn Charlottesville team, we are grateful to have had you stay with us and look forward to hosting you again on your next trip to Charlottesville.
Lancaster, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

After reading some reviews I was concerned about the cleanliness but I found it acceptable. Yes there were some stains on the carpet, and some minor repair issues in the bathroom (caulking issues, etc) - however I would stay there again. The bedding was clean and I think if they just steam cleaned the carpets this would have been a much higher rating. But if the customer doesn't report a spill the housekeepers may not always see what needs cleaned. The entire staff was very friendly and welcoming. The beds were very comfortable and they offered 2 pillow densities. Management was very accommodating to our group of 20 and it was greatly appreciated. Building is not visible from the road but just turn in at the sign and follow the drive back to the building. No issues with parking. I feel overall we got a great deal for what we paid and I would stay here again with no issue.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Sarah H, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn University, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your review of your recent stay. We always like to hear that a guest would return for another visit! We have shared your comments with our housekeeping and maintenance team on the few issues you noted. We have recently focused our efforts on ensuring that our housekeeping room inspection procedures are diligently followed and that all items needing refreshing such as the caulking you mentioned are immediately and consistently communicated appropriately. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to a future visit.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We stayed there in October 2013. The staff was nice, the location good. The room was Disgusting. I will update with photos. First thing you see is the carpet. Dark foot prints and black mold. We kept our shoes on and slept with socks in case we had to get up in the middle of the night. The carpet was not vacumed before we got there, it was easy to see left over dirt from the last? occupants. In the bathroom the electrical outlet was cracked nearly in half leaving the wiring exposed. The door handle was falling apart and again black mold in the tub. The mini fridge was plugged into a power strip that dangled above the floor another electrical nightmare, black mold in front of it. If it wasn't "the last room available" we would of left. I tried to contact Comfort Inn Customer Service but recieved "mail box full- undelieverable". Advice: Find another place to stay. I figured it was Comfort Inn, had to be nice. WRONG

Room Tip: Tip: Find another place to stay.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
It is never easy to hear that we have not met a guest's expectations and failed to meet our own internal high standards for guest satisfaction. Your comments have been taken very seriously and have been addressed with the staff at the hotel. Please know that we have recently brought in a new management team that is very committed to striving for excellence in service and product and that we have reallocated funds from other intended capital expenditure purposes to a preventive maintenance exercise that will ensure the condition of the hotel is where is needs to be. A percentage of rooms have already received new carpeting and this process will continue until all rooms have been newly carpeted. Our goal is that every guest experience is so positive that they not only continue to return but also encourage others to do the same. We are pleased with our recent progress at the hotel and hope that you will reconsider visiting us again in the future.
Hardy, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

After making the mistake of staying at the Quality Inn across the street, I was worried that this hotel would be dirty and rundown, too. It is tucked away behind a fast food chicken place; that didn't help. However, the lobby was clean; the desk clerk was solicitous, friendly and professional; and, the room was clean and well-appointed (for a three star property). I would give them three-and-a-half stars!

Room Tip: My room was just off the lobby but I didn't hear a peep!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
MichelleGuests, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn University, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Thank you for your review of your stay at our hotel. We are so pleased to hear that you received a warm welcome from our front desk clerk and that the lobby and your guest room were clean and well-appointed. Thank you so much for the nice compliment that you would give us three-and-a half stars. We are so pleased that we exceeded your expectations!

We appreciate you taking the time to share your positive experience with the TripAdvisor community. We hope to welcome you back on your next trip to Charlottesville.

Been to Comfort Inn University? Share your experiences!