“Same menu but always great” 5 of 5 stars

201 East Main Street, Charlottesville, VA
434-977-4944
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Zo.ca.lo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #41 of 465 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 2nd Street NE and East Main Street
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Same menu but always great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We've eaten at Zocalo for many years. Although the menu never changes, you can call a day ahead for a vegetarian entree and the chef will cook up something new--there's only one vegetarian option on the menu (it's delicious). There are many vegetarian sides. My husband loves the tuna tartar appetizer and the duck entree. We usually have the Mexican bread pudding dessert. My husband swears they make the best mojito in town.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“A Great Choice!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Excellent food and service - a good variety of choices both on food and wine. Service was attentive. Manager asked how everything was. We ate outdoors - great ambiance and good for conversation.

Visited June 2012
Charlottesville, Virginia
“A consistently excellent place for special occasions”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

My wife and I went to Zocalo again yesterday evening. It was unexpectedly mild for mid-October and we were able to eat outside. This is really an excellent setting under the tall willow oaks and near a fountain in a protected, courtyard-like space on the downtown pedestrian mall. We had the spinach salad with fried oysters to start, then my wife had duck breast and I had pork loin--both exquisite. It's hard to give an idea of Zocalo's cuisine. I'm tempted to describe it as French with a touch of Mexican, because this is definitely not 'Mexican' in the ordinary sense of the term. Instead, it is a classic cuisine with a slight Latin inflection. The service was, as usual, top-notch.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
medford
“Mexican with flair”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Roasted corn soup was wonderful. My husband loved the chocolate bread pudding. Waitstaff terrific. Could use some outside heaters.

Visited October 2012
Florida
“Good location...for a price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I came here for a group dinner to kick off a weekend of festivities. As an out of towner, I had no expectations for this restaurant but wasn't super impressed with my dining experience. It appears that what you are paying for is a hip restaurant located in the heart of the downtown mall. It was very busy on a Friday night, and service for our group of about 15 was friendly but slow at times.

I think the cuisine is supposed to have a Latin twist but fell short, and one thing authentic Latin food shouldn't be short on is flavor. I got the chili dusted sea scallops and it barely tasted like they were seasoned. They were served on a few slices of plantains, which tasted like they were strangely in between tostones (the savory version) and the caramelized sweet kind. My husband felt like his just tasted burnt.

The alcohol menu is probably more extensive than their food menu. Drink prices are expensive, as one would expect in a downtown/nightlife area. We got the 2 orders of scallops, a martini, and 3 beers, and our total came to about $100 with the mandatory gratuity. I don't mind paying that kind of money for a special occasion, but the food quality should be in line with the price.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere