“Elegant, Refined, Great Service ” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Fleurie Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 465 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Charlottesville
“Elegant, Refined, Great Service ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Had dinner here last week and the food, the wine, and the service consistently over deliver. This restaurant is on par with Michelin-Star level dining.

I went on date night but I've also taken clients here in the past. Try the lobster bisque, the foie gras, anything that is fresh from the chef's garden, and save room for dessert.

The wine list is great too-- plenty of impressive wines; but I really appreciate the thought that goes into the bottles in the $50 range. We enjoyed an aged Muscadet that came highly recommended by the server.

Every time I dine here, I think that the experience would be difficult to top. But even after several years of coming here, they continue to get better and better.

Charlottesville, Virginia
“For a very special occasion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

There is no other restaurant in town (IMHO) that can match Fleurie for sheer excellence of presentation, beautifully prepared and cooked meals, and elegance of surroundings.
It is more expensive than is comfortable for going very often, but is the go-to place for a superb evening to remember.

• Visited February 2014
Towson, Maryland
“Magical Service & Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

I'd just arrived in Charlottesville (a city I'd never been to before) after a three hour drive from Baltimore to take my 14 year old daughter to a Vampire Weekend concert and had three hours to kill. It was around 6pm and I was feeling peckish. I'm a picky vegetarian who occasionally eats fish but love French style cooking, music, and the whole French ambience. I thought it was neat that I was going to a place called Charlottesville for a concert, since I'm a big fan of French singer Serge Gainsbourg, and Charlotte is his daughter and one of my favorite actresses. Anway, I didn't want to stray to far from the concert grounds so I could pick my daughter up right away when she got out, so I ditched my preplanned idea of driving down the road to a Tapas place, and decided to stay in the immediate area. Lo and behold, I had to turn only one corner to get onto the main plaza and I saw a gal standing outside what looked to be a cozy French-theme bistro. I headed straight towards it with a smile on my face. I thought to myself "presto!" as if I had just materialized the perfect boite. Like the true nerd I am, I was holding a slim vintage copy of Lawrence Durrell's Justine, an obscure book I bought in a used bookstore in Baltimore, to pass the time, and I felt a little awkward. The hostess, a very graceful and elegant young woman in black (Erin or Jenny?) ushered me inside, and while politely opening the door for me, noticed my book and said she had read the whole Alexandria Quartet! Now I felt right at home! I was attended by Erin, Jenny, and Chris, who as a team had the perfect combination of friendliness, efficiency, and grace that I've ever seen in a waitstaff---even on the finest cruise ships. It seemed that whenever I got up and came back to my table, Chris was right there to pull the chair back. When I somewhat self consciously asked him if there was someplace to buy cigarettes, and after guiltily explaining that I normally don't smoke, but I was feeling very European in that atmosphere, and with my daughter out of range for another two hours, I was feeling rascally and wanted to have a drag outside after my first course, the bouquet of greens & herbs with goat cheese (of the freshest, most crispy greens, which I am told, were grown and picked by the chef/owner Brian in his own Garden), he said unfortunately no, but he'd see what he could do. Two minutes later, a couple of cigarettes and a lighter appeared magically on the table on a small silver plate! I went outside and walked a short distance down the brick plaza, gauging the distance to the concert where I have to pick my daughter up, and thinking how lucky I was to have chosen this particular spot. I walk back to the restaurant, and Voila! the door magically opens from inside and Erin or Jenny (the one who was the hostess that night) asks me if I enjoyed my cigarette and walk. Mais oui! Like clockwork, the chair, which was pushed in after I left, is pulled away from the table to accomodate me and my book. I order a second course, a mushroom pastry, which is so savory and the dough so crispy that I have to finish eating it with my hands like a lttle sandwich to get every bite, was one of the best vegetarian dishes I've had in a long while. I ordered a few glasses of their fullest bodied red wine (like coffee, if I can't see through the wine, it's good enough for me) and the glass was full whenever I wanted more, but since I needed to be sober to drive back, they thoughfully took that into account and even asked me if I had time for a third course, or that would be sufficient. I suddenly realized it was getting late, and asked if it would be ok to come back later with my daughter. They had no problem accomodating me if I should show up later with my daughter and her friend, they said, but I didn't want to be a bother. Well, they said, if it's getting really late, you can go to this other place that stays open very late, and they jotted down the name and number. Before I got the bill, they gave me a complimentary dessert sampler of some of their choicest, most luxurious pastries, which I savored with a very nice four shot espresso. I talked with Erin and Jenny, and told them I run a restaurant in Baltimore, and that I would make a point of writing a review on Trip Advisor (which I have never done before) when I got back, because they really made my night and I was very impressed with how they ran the place and treated me---not having known anything about me other than my coming in with this vintage Lawrence Durrell book! At any rate, I picked my daughter up with her cousin, and they told me they also had a magical time at the concert, and we strolled down the regal brick plaza (yellow brick road?) lined with quaint antique stores, bistros, and vintage theatres, and felt like I was in the friendliest, safest, and most special place in the world. My daughter thanked me for taking her and her cousin to the concert, and said I was the best dad in the world, and felt bad about leaving me on my own. She was really surprised when I told her that I'd take her back for another concert to Charlottesville in a heartbeat, because I'd found the perfect home away from home for myself! (Like Dorothy said "there's no place like home.")

• Visited June 2014
Boca Raton, Florida
“First Class”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

Our party of 4 had a wonderful meal at Fleurie. Our service was excellent, the wine list was very good, and the food was delicious. It's always nice to see the owner on site making sure everything is done properly. It's one of the few fine dining restaurants in Charlottesville, and a restaurant that one would be proud to bring guests. When seeking fine French food, this is the place.

• Visited May 2014
Ivy, Virginia
“The best gets even better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Fleurie has been our Charlottesville favorite for years, and when we thought it couldn't get any better, they surprised us again! Eight of us had a truly extraordinary dinner. All are frequent travelers, several internationally, and we were there for a friends reunion - but the food took center stage again! New menu items and old favorites all were exceptional, the wine list is expanding again, and the service is professional and personal as usual. We talked about how to explain our experience here, and we agreed on this: if the chef-owner moved this restaurant to New York he'd give some very famous restaurants a run for their money, and he'd be full every night!

• Visited March 2014