“The BEST Steaks!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
SOUTH PITTSBURG
“The BEST Steaks!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

My wife and I ate there on a Friday night and called ahead for reservations. We were seated within 5 minutes of our reservation (7:15) and the pace was packed. The service was outstanding, our waiter was friendly and accommodating. I git the bone in rib eye that came was slightly over cooked but our waiter gladly took it back and had another one cooked for me. It was EXCELLENT; tender, juicy and cooked perfectly! My wife also got a rib eye that she was very pleased with. We will definitely go back there when we are in Charlottesville again.

Visited April 2014

Troy, Virginia
“Oops”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

We were seated promptly and our beverage orders were taken and quickly filled. We already knew that we wanted a Bloomin'Onion and ordered that while we chose from the menu. A***n, our waiter/server did everything so well. He carefully attended to our beverage refills, our bread and butter stock and was a constant kindness to us as we celebrated. However, not all was well in the kitchen it seems. Without any exaggeration I will state my issues

1)our artfully prepared salads....mine was amazing! my hubby's...had a very long(at least 12") dark coarse hair in it. EWWWW. Another of the wait staff came by and I requested a replacement. Quickly done. Salad issue solved, (still...EWWW).

2) My entree: I ordered a 6 oz. Alice filet-requested medium well, which according to the chart on the menu, should have had a bit of pink....bummer...mine was fully well cooked, to the point I was unwilling to eat it. Yes a replacement was quickly offered but I did decline to wait for a "redo". My baked sweet potato was delicious and perfectly prepared.
His entree: ordered a 14 oz strip steak with mashed potatoes. Steak was perfectly prepared to his request of extra, extra, extra well done. How this was achieved without burning it amazes me! The mashed potatoes were not on his plate but rather fries...crunchy and good but not quite right. When I reviewed our order with our server he confirmed that mashed potatoes were ordered. He brought out a large helping of said spuds.

Perhaps realizing the special night we had hoped for, our server brought us a complementary desert...Nice touch!

Over all not quite the nice dinner I had hoped for to celebrate our Anniversary but like most things we have been through in our 34 years of married life, such is life. We enjoyed each other’s company as we have for so many years, didn't dwell on the negatives, and paid our check.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Louisa
“Steak and shrimp”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

This what you get from the Outback. I tried my first steak at outback in Fairfax,Virginia. The steak was about the worse thing I ever ate. One bite and I spit it out. In a word rotten. The waitress tried a bite and quickly spit it out. Rotten she says. The manager tried it and spit it out. Rotten he says as well. He fired the chief who he said should of known it was bad from the smell.
Lucky I have ate at Outback many times and have not run into this situation again. The last steak I ate at Outback in Charlottesville,Va. was so good that I took my time eating it and savored each bite. But the salid comes in a bag and is loaded with MSG to the point that it can be smelt and tasted. It always breaks my mouth out in blisters.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Virginia
“Outback has moved so they are now "Infront"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

I am surprised at the low number of TA reviews for this restaurant since their move down #29 to a more visible and high traffic location. The restaurant is always busy, parking lot full, since the move and the redo of an old cheesy place was accomplished very nicely. The atmosphere is elegant. Selection is what you expect from Outback's anywhere. Maybe the big crowds sine the move account for the poor service comments I am seeing here, but our experiences have always been great here, even after a wait during rush.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Charlottesville VA
“Tonite the Outback Let Me Down”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

I've been a fan of the Outback for as long as I can remember--touting its superb service, interesting and tasty dishes, and economical menu prices whenever to all who wanted to know where to go for a great dining experience. Not this evening! It was so ordinary and uninviting that I could not believe I was in an Outback. The restaurant was not busy and the three of us (and wouldn't you know that one of them was my 90 year old mother!) were seated in the bar area for an early supper. We saw tables that had not been bussed, and had to wait for a waiter to wipe our table down (couldn't the hostess have done that?) before he could take our drink order. He brought them--then we didn't see him for the longest time. I had to send a hostess to get him. He took our order and as we waited we continued to see dirty, unbusssed tables--and no one pitching in to make the dining area more pleasant. We finally had to ask one of the waiters to please remove a dirty rag from the table next to us. Oversight of this area was terrible--totally unkempt! We wondered if there was a manager on duty--didn't look like it. The food was OK but we tried the BBQ nacho dish (the nachos were actually potato chips). It was without a doubt the worst dish we have ever had at an Outback. Roughly 7 bucks for an appetizer that consists of a few chips, a few skimpy pieces of BBQ or beef with some sauce, and some lettuce. What an embarrassing offering of a nothing plate--certainly not up to Outback standards, portion-wise or taste wise for the money spent. It needs to come off the menu immediately in our view. A disappointing visit all the way around. You let us down Outback in all aspects of the dining experience--and you have never done so before.

• Visited January 2014