“Disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Staunton, Va.
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We thought we'd give Outback another try after a disappointing meal some time ago. The restaurant decor was very nice and we sat in the bar area. The waiter, who claimed he was a "trainer" told us about the menu and we proceeded to order. No offer of bread was made, so I asked if he could bring some by when he had a chance. He stated that the bread machine was broken, but would bring us popcorn. Meanwhile, I was watching server upon server delivering bread to other patrons. I asked him again, and he brought us a loaf. When our meals arrived, I was surprised that my half rack of ribs is now actually only 5 small and very dry ribs. I asked for extra sauce and received about 2 thimbles-full. I had to ask for more and you would think that he got the idea that I needed more, but brought the same tiny serving. My wife's half sandwich was served on a dinner plate and looked very lonely! There was minimal meat on the diminutive half sandwich, but tasted good. We were never asked about the meal until the plates were cleared. At least the fries were hot. Sad to see a formerly good restaurant go down hill.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

56% Recommend
Westport, Connecticut, United States
“OK, but felt like a meal factory!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We have always loved Outback, but haven't been for a couple of years, so we were excited to go back.The menu is still great, the seating very comfortable, but for us the overall experience fell short of our expectations. The best way to describe it is very "production line", portion controlled and formulaic. There wasn't much joy in this experience and we were in and out in 30 minutes!

Visited February 2013
Mathias, West Virginia
“call ahead twenty five minute wait”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

They tried to pass off a sirloin steak for a filet.The wait staff through the management need to learn how to identify cuts of meat and customer service. The manager needs to stop taking cigarette breaks. From the top level of this restaurant the service was ignorant and abusive to the customers. Is this the end of the road for the outback chain? This family will not eat at anymore of their restaurants or affiliates ever again. Save your money and go to burger king where you can still get it your way.

• Visited February 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Ruckersville, Virginia
“Great food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Went here on a Friday night for my daughter's birthday dinner with family and some of her friends! we called ahead about 2 weeks in advance saying that we are a party of 10 people and my daughter turning 16. The wait was insanely long which was expected on a friday night but we showed up around 9pm to hopefully not get caught up in the rush. Sad to say to no avail we still got caught in it. We waited about 30 minutes to be seated which was our quoted time. We got sat and our server greeted us promptly even though he looked like he had other tables to take care of. Our server's name was Kevin he looked super busy but he acknowledged us when we were sitting. we waited about 2 minutes for our drinks to arrive and he was really friendly and smiled alot. He made us feel welcome and super hilarious. We had a ice cream cake and candles. I was amazed on how fast he was! We finished our meal in about an hour super fast if I say so myself! Had an amazing time there. What really got me was our ice cream cake came and our plates also with forks but the great part was he knew it was an ice cream cake so our plates were cold along with our forks! I guess he wanted to make sure our ice cream didn't melt on our plates which was defenitly a above and beyond move. I'm not a big fan of chain restaurants but Kevin was amazing, if you want a great "outback experience" just make sure you ask for him.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Charlottesville, Virginia
“New Location, Same Chain Food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

If you are a fan of Outback, nothing I can say about chain restaurant food will matter. What they offer is some level of consistency. In my opinion, though I do not dine at chains often, is that this is one of their more average stores.

Seemingly less crowded than usual -- new location, the economy? --- the service was remarkably slow. The ambiance is uninspiring and coldly neutral. A natural, perhaps, for corporate dining, but in my opinion, not for family or a romantic dinner with your spouse/significant other.

The menu is what you would expect. Also food quality. Made to spec.

• Visited January 2013