“Warm and cozy atmosphere, great food, and good value” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Asheville North Carolina
“Warm and cozy atmosphere, great food, and good value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2010

Our warm reception was soon followed by attentive service and delicious food. We can see why this restaurant has won acclaim over the years from food critics and travel magazines. The wine list and menu are the best we have seen anywhere. Our choices included the Cuban Steak, the Chicken Pot Pie appetizer, served in a cute terrine, and the Trout. Convenient parking makes this historic downtown Charlottesville restaurant a real treat.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

Washington, DC
“good food in a cozy place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2010

My wife and I had dinner here on a Sunday evening. The atmosphere of the restaurant was perhaps enhanced by the dreary weather outside. I had the pork belly salad, and it was remarkable. Overall the food was great and the service was prompt. A nice touch was that our waitress had my wife's coat ready to go by the time we were getting up to leave.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Hampton roads
“should have went somewhere else”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

The Reviews were very good and the photos made it look nice as well. The fact is, that it is nice but only nice not great. The price range is more like $40.00 for dinner with out drinks and speaking of the drinks when I order a martini I do not want a mini martini I want a normal sized martini. A refreshing thing that happened was when my girlfriends steak was over cooked they corrected that and brought her a new steak and also comped our drinks without asking they just did it. although this only an average restaurant it does have potential.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Charlottesville, VA
“A Practical Joke on Vegetarians”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2009

One vegetarian option. The "lasagna" consists ONLY of layers of cabbage with refried black beans between each layer. Was this made by a child playing around in the kitchen?! I was depending on the "lasgana" part of the entree to be my actual dinner. The only thing on the plate that I ate was a small bowl of cheesey souffle stuff (it was just ok... nothing special). Also on the plate was a tiny bowl of "gazbacho sorbet" and a sweet piece of bread with cinnamony beans inside. 22$.

If you are a vegetarian, do everything in your power to steer clear of this place. The quaint atmosphere of C&O will not make up for the inedible veggie option, which seemed more like a practical joke on the wimpy vegetarian in the party than a meal (hahah, point and laugh at the stupid veggie! How could you expect to get a delicious meal without meat? How can you have your pudding if you don't eat your meat?!).

If you don't eat meat and somehow find yourself in this cute little establishment, try an appealing appetizer... one that looks predictable. I didn't have an appetizer, so I can't speak for veggie options there.
If you do eat meat and are not poor, you may like the place. One person in our party got a steak and loved it. The others got trout and the monk fish special: both satisfactory but not quite worth 27$ each.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
London, England
“Excellent food and great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

We ate on their terrace on a balmy evening. Food was excellent, service great and atmosphere superb. Host Elaine Futhey was welcoming and generous (thanks for the local champagne Elaine!)

• 5 of 5 stars Food