“Wonderful Anniversary Dinner” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located in the heart of Charlottesville's Downtown district, Hamiltons' is the perfect spot for a delicious afternoon lunch or a romantic evening dinner. A cheerful, cozy atmosphere and attentive service ensure our guests enjoy an outstanding dining experience, be they Charlottesville natives, out-of-town visitors, or University students and staff. We also feature outdoor patio seating seasonally, providing our guests the opportunity to dine amidst the bustle of the Downtown Mall. Our Staff Kate and Bill Hamilton opened the restaurant's doors in February 1996. Today, talented Chef de Cuisine Curtis Shaver brings a distinctive flare to the exciting, contemporary American cuisine for which Hamiltons' is known. In addition to overseeing Hamiltons' award winning wine list, General Manager and Partner Daniel Page directs a staff renowned for its congeniality and professionalism. Music at Hamiltons' Every Saturday and Wednesday night from about 7-10 p.m, Hamiltons' hosts the live jazz stylings of guitarist Peter Richardson. Peter's album with clarinetist Dave Kannensohn titled "Saturday Nights at Hamiltons'" features American and Latin jazz favorites.
Charlottesville
“Wonderful Anniversary Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

We enjoyed a perfect dinner with friends who have an anniversary near ours. Our waiter, Clark, could not have been better, attentive to every detail, with good humor. Our dinners, crab cakes for one and duck for the others, were oh so good with beautiful presentation. We definitely recommend Hamilton's at First & Main!

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Yachats, Oregon
“Amazing crab cakes!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Our server told us they were their trademark dish. The special was quail with figs which sounded irresistible. However who can pass by their trademark dish so we both ordered them and they were thrill the best crab cakes I have ever had. We had a wonderful evening with wonderful food and excellent service.

Visited October 2013
Virginia Beach
“Excellent Restaurant, Delightful Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We had a flawless lunch outdoors here. Waitstaff was nicely trained and attentive, and we enjoyed watching the passing parade of people along the mall. Menu was modern American with many good choices, definitely not the same old chef salad or burger lunch from which to choose. When the food arrived, everything was nicely arranged (love a plate with eye appeal) and delicious.The wine list was reasonable. We would come here again when in Charlottesville.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Baltimore
“Fantastic restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I have health issues and hate eating out unless I have to. I called and spoke with the staff and we reserved a table in a corner. The wait and bar staff were great. I had the vegetarian vegetable soup which was so fresh and delicious. My husband had the calamari which he said was great -"done perfectly". We each had a house salad- dressing really tasty and light. We split the shrimp and grits. I didn't think I would eat my grits, as often in restaurants they are too rich, but this was not. Again, delicious. The shrimp was perfectly seasoned and prepared. For dessert we had the sorbet trio - again delicious. I have eating restrictions from my illness, in addition to an egg allergy and our waiter was awesome. The food was five star and the atmosphere really relaxing. It was 8:00 on a Saurday night and a musician was playing guitar upfront. We would have gone back for brunch but they weren't open early enough for our schedule. Loved this place - would go back in a heartbeat. (two appetizers, extra side salad, 1entree, two beers and an iced tea,1 dessert and bill was $74 before tip- very reasonable for the quality and portion).

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Michigan
“Very good crab cakes!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I visited here during a business trip to Virginia and it was right down the street from the Omni where I was staying- literally a two minute walk. I would recommend visiting the promenade if you are staying at the Omni- and don’t worry it is a very safe walk even if you are by yourself on business.

I ordered the crab cake for dinner and it was a good size crab cake- I thought the lumps of crab were large and the cake and the accompanying “salad” on the plate was a nice treat for my palate. The salad that they serve with dinners was also very good and was served with a delicious homemade dressing and bread. I thought the dinner was very good but the service was a little lacking- I was the only person sitting outside enjoying the weather but the waiter took a while to serve me despite not being busy. I also was not that impressed with the dessert I ordered- it was just ok. I would recommend visiting here but maybe skip the dessert!

Visited September 2013