“Great dinner!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located in the heart of Charlottesville's Downtown district, Hamiltons' is the perfect spot for a delicious afternoon lunch or a romantic evening dinner. A cheerful, cozy atmosphere and attentive service ensure our guests enjoy an outstanding dining experience, be they Charlottesville natives, out-of-town visitors, or University students and staff. We also feature outdoor patio seating seasonally, providing our guests the opportunity to dine amidst the bustle of the Downtown Mall. Our Staff Kate and Bill Hamilton opened the restaurant's doors in February 1996. Today, talented Chef de Cuisine Curtis Shaver brings a distinctive flare to the exciting, contemporary American cuisine for which Hamiltons' is known. In addition to overseeing Hamiltons' award winning wine list, General Manager and Partner Daniel Page directs a staff renowned for its congeniality and professionalism. Music at Hamiltons' Every Saturday and Wednesday night from about 7-10 p.m, Hamiltons' hosts the live jazz stylings of guitarist Peter Richardson. Peter's album with clarinetist Dave Kannensohn titled "Saturday Nights at Hamiltons'" features American and Latin jazz favorites.
Annapolis, Maryland
“Great dinner!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

My wife travelled with me on a business trip to Charlottesville as I had told her how much I liked to visit the area. We decided to try Hamilton's and we loved the place. It is a wonderful restaurant staffed by great people. The wine list is small but put together well. The food was absolutely excellent and we had an awesome evening. We look forwards to returning.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Harrisburg, Oregon
“Great dinner at Hamiltons' at First and Main”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Had a lovely dinner at Hamiltons' and enjoyed it very much. Food was excellent and the wine list was very good. Service and ambiance was ideal. Next time I will have the shrimp and grits which one of my companions let me try. It was surprisingly good! We sat at the window table in the front and could watch the traffic on the mall go by!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Arlington, Virginia
“Great food in a convenient location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

My traveling companion and I were looking for a place to eat lunch while on Charlottesville's Main Street and were fortunate to choose Hamilton's. We both had the shrimp and grits, which were perfectly prepared, flavorful and very reasonable (lunch prices are very good.) Staff was friendly; dining room was quite noisy, however. I would advise trying to avoid peak hours; it was much nicer after the room cleared out a bit. I would definitely go back if I return to Charlottesville.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Washington, DC
“Solid”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Hamiltons' is a great go-to restaurant with guests from out of town. Food, service and atmosphere are very reliable.

Visited May 2013
Virginia
“Service great, food OK but over priced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

For years I have wanted to try Hamilton's and the opportunity arose last week. The atmosphere is generic and crowded especially the bar seating. All the staff were great and did their job with upmost professionalism. When I saw the price of the steak - $34, my jaw dropped, so I went with a recommendation of crab cakes, potatoes and pickled green beans. Each of those items were great - all six of the green beans, the 2 very small crab cakes and the small potatoes. This equated to my experience that of a $14 meal and not the $28 I had to shell out.

On the dessert menu, they had chocolate. What I got was a itzy bitzy sampler that looked more like wall art than food.

I can now say I tried it and will return when something replaces it.

• Visited August 2013