“A feast on New Year's Eve” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located in the heart of Charlottesville's Downtown district, Hamiltons' is the perfect spot for a delicious afternoon lunch or a romantic evening dinner. A cheerful, cozy atmosphere and attentive service ensure our guests enjoy an outstanding dining experience, be they Charlottesville natives, out-of-town visitors, or University students and staff. We also feature outdoor patio seating seasonally, providing our guests the opportunity to dine amidst the bustle of the Downtown Mall. Our Staff Kate and Bill Hamilton opened the restaurant's doors in February 1996. Today, talented Chef de Cuisine Curtis Shaver brings a distinctive flare to the exciting, contemporary American cuisine for which Hamiltons' is known. In addition to overseeing Hamiltons' award winning wine list, General Manager and Partner Daniel Page directs a staff renowned for its congeniality and professionalism. Music at Hamiltons' Every Saturday and Wednesday night from about 7-10 p.m, Hamiltons' hosts the live jazz stylings of guitarist Peter Richardson. Peter's album with clarinetist Dave Kannensohn titled "Saturday Nights at Hamiltons'" features American and Latin jazz favorites.
River Falls, Wisconsin
“A feast on New Year's Eve”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Since it was NYE reservations were at a premium and we had to settle for a 8:15PM reservation. The meal was worth it. The wine with dinner was a great selection. I had an oyster appetizer which was delicious. I can't remember what my entree was called but I enjoyed every bite. Crowded but a very enjoyable evening.

Visited December 2012

Wintergreen, Virginia
“A very classy, delightful, and delicious place to dine!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

This is our favorite place for lunch and our second favorite for dinner. They have a very nice selection of beers and wines. Every dish is so savory and beautifully presented. I particular, the crabcake on a base of jasmine rice is superb. Fresh cod with an Indian touch is lip smacking good. A great ambiance and service makes for a terrific dining experience!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Richmond, Virginia
“Delicious lunch - eat here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Had an absolutely delicious lunch at Hamilton's. The vegetable and lentil soup was the perfect compliment for a cool winter day. My wife had the vegetable sampler, which was ton of food and all tasted great. I had the chicken spring rolls - at first i was disappointed that they were just full of roasted chicken, but after my first bite that all changed. They were amazing - some of the best i have ever had. Hamilton's will certainly be a mainstay for our next visit to Charlottesville. Can't wait to try dinner!

Visited December 2012
Virginia
“Great Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

This is a longtime Charlottesville favorite. I have eaten here maybe seven or eight times and have never been disappointed. The food is, I guess, modern American. Tastes good with wine -- or beer. Nicely decorated. Terrific place for a date or a business lunch. Conveniently located on the downtown mall. I particularly recommend the "blue plate vegetarian special." I am not a vegetarian. In fact, I am a confirmed carnivore. But this plate has never disappointed me. It's usually about 5 different items, including some hearty veggies with nice flavor that ensure you don't miss the roast beast.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Great food, service, ambiance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I am a local and eat at Hamiltons regularly. As another reviewer noted, their crab cakes are outstanding; other entrees also are delightful. However, I have learned to be careful about what dish you order; if the combination of foods with a particular entree sounds unusual to you, you may not like it. In other words, I find some of their combinations are wonderful, and others not appealing.

• Visited December 2012