“Cold, Loud, Slow, and Uncomfortable” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Cold, Loud, Slow, and Uncomfortable”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We made reservations for our annual couples dinner three weeks in advance. Our reservation was for 6:15 but we didn't get seated until 6:30. Our table was right by the door. Every time the door opened we got blasted with arctic air. The three-chair bar was right behind us. People congregating behind the bar would bump against us and the isle was behind them so we had people bumping into us as they tried to get by us. There was a barrel with menus behind one of our party and every time a new party came in he had the rustling of papers in his ear as they got menus for the new people coming in. We felt like the only sitting people surrounded by a standing crowd. We couldn't talk because the place was so loud that we had to shout to hear each other.

The waitress fluttered in and out a few times and finally took our order. It took forever to get our salads, which were okay. I ordered shrimp for the second course and it was so over spiced I couldn't eat it. There was nothing in the description to indicate that the shrimp was spicy hot. When the waitress took away the uneaten dish, I told her that it was too spicy and she said that she hadn't heard that from anyone else, and left. She wasn't at all concerned that the dish was uneatable.

We sat in the hard seats and a cold, loud building until 10:15 (3 and a half hours after they seated us) and we finally got our entree. I ordered the New York Strip, Medium Rare. I got it and it was brown all the way through and tough. Judging from the waitresses response to my complaint of the shrimp and because I didn't want to wait another three hours for a meal I didn't send the steak back. I just let the waitress pick up the uneaten meal.

When it was time for desert the waitress told me they just sold the last desert that I had ordered but they had gelato if I wanted. It was so cold that, I ate in my coat and gloves, so I couldn't see eating ice cream for desert. I just wanted to get out of there and get warm.

I did mention how cold it was to the hostess and she said "I know, I've been freezing all night".

So I spent $100.00 for the two of us on a meal that was over cooked and over spiced, that was delivered in an cold, uncomfortable, loud environment.

I won't do that again. Next time I'm going to suggest we go t a different place that has a vestibule, ceiling tiles to dampen the sound and hires enough staff to deliver a meal in less than three hours.

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Charlottesville VA
“Very nice with genuine Italian food. Nice atmosphere, too.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Recently reopened in this location, although we had never visited the original place. Owner was on the premises, visiting tables to schmooze with customers. We were guests of our son and his wife. I'm a vegan and the server went back and forth between me and the kitchen several times to be sure I got something I would like, which I really appreciated.

I couldn't finish it and asked for it to be boxed up to take home. There was evidently a glitch because we had to wait a while after the meal to pay, etc., then it turned out my remaining meal had been discarded, but they had prepared an entire new meal for me to take home. Now THAT'S service! Clearly they are very customer oriented.

The carnivores in our party were also happy with their meals, especially our kids who are much bigger foodies than we are.

• Visited December 2012
“Great Find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

The food is AWESOME! Can't say enough. The owner/chef is friendly and checks in on you. The staff is helpful and cordial. The atmosphere is cozy and romantic enough for a date, but also casual enough for a friendly dinner. I had the salmon on mashed potatoes with brussel sprouts and green beans and it was to die for. I also tried the sardine appetizer (which the owner brought for us to try) and although it tasted good, I couldn't really see myself ordering it again. It is a whole fish and that kind of freaks me out. However, it says a lot that I actually ate it considering it really isn't my thing. The prices are about average for this quality of food/atmospehere in the Charlottesville area.

• Visited January 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

Delicious Italian cooking! First class authentic Italian food in downtown Charlottesville. Great service, refined, relaxed setting. A gem of a restaurant.

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Outstanding Italian Food in Charlottesville”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Charlottesville has another outstanding Italian restaurant in Caffe Bocce. The food is authentically Italian, the service is exemplary, and the ambiance is elegant and restrained. This place is outstanding in every way. Run, don't walk, to Caffe Bocce for splendid Italian food!

• Visited December 2012