“Used to be better” 3 of 5 stars

Description: http://peterchangscharlottesville.com
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Used to be better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I've been to Peter Chang's China Grill probably a dozen times. This last time (on Christmas) was quite dissappointing. In the past, one of my favorite dishes was the Dry Fried Eggplant. Very crispy, wonderfully spiced, irresistable. However, that day, it was mushy and flavorless, too breaded. When the waiter came to check on us, I mentioned it, and he took it away, promising better. More came, but sadly, it was not better. Someone in our party said this happens if Peter is not in the kitchen routinely.
Other dishes were OK, but they just didn't taste the same as in the past. Please bring back Peter!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Charlottesville, Virginia
“Amazing food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Peter Chang is not new to Charlottesville. Several years ago he relocated to Charlottesville to open a small restaurant offering great food but on a small scale. He needed a breather from the hectic life. Very quickly the restaurant became extremely popular and it was buzzing with activity. This is not what Peter Chang was looking for. He packed up and left town. To our delight he has returned refreshed and ready to serve the most amazing Chinese food. This is not your typical Chinese restaurant with a buffet. It has amazing truly Chinese dishes. The service was great and the food was awesome. Be sure to make reservations, you won't get a table without them.

Visited May 2012
MidAtlantic
“Improving with age”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I used to think Taste of China was a lot better than PCCG, but the last two times I have gone it is equally good with better service and a proper selection of cold beer and wine.

Time before, I had the ma la combination. Very good! Just the right amount of spice.

Last time I had grandma's pork. Apparently 2* out of 3* on spicy scale, this was a very spicy dish unless you choose not to eat the halved jalapenos that you can see in the picture. Peter was supposedly in the kitchen the day I went, and the wait staff was upselling everybody to the specials on the back of the menu as a rare chance to have food made by him.

I'm glad I tried their recommendation. I don't think I will get it again as eating half jalapenos is a little extreme for me even though I love spicy.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Richmond, Virginia
“Horrifying Experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

People keep raving about what a great restaurant this is and how I absolutely must go or I'd be missing out. I went with my parents in hopes of eating delicious food and left highly disappointed. We were served our food quickly, which was a plus. However the waiter got our order wrong and gave us a wrong dish. He didn't give us the dish we ordered after we told him and we still had to pay the price of the dish that we were suppose to get (the dish that he got mixed up with was cheaper). Why should we have to pay for his mistake? His actions were definitely a great annoyance there. To make the visit even more disappointing, the food was not good at all. Unfortunately I do not recall the names of the dishes we ordered, but I hope a general description will suffice. The dish that the server mixed up and gave us with a concoction that looked like stir-fried vegetables with mushrooms. It was a rather bland dish. Some of the vegetables were half cooked. The other dish we ordered was a pork and potato dish. Some pieces of the pork were under-cooked whereas other pieces were over-cooked. The pieces of potatoes were nearly all under-cooked and half raw. It was not exactly pleasurable for the palate. This restaurant is definitely not worth the price. To put it bluntly, the food quality was poor and the service terrible. I will never go again to spend my hard earned money here.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Virginia
“They have improved”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Dry fried eggplant was excellent, as was the shrimp with mushrooms. Service was attentive late night visit 9;30 pm

• Visited November 2012