“Location, not amenities is why you stay here.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Red Roof Inn Charlottesville

You added Red Roof Inn Charlottesville to your Saves list
Red Roof Inn Charlottesville
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1309 West Main Street, Charlottesville, VA 22903   |
Ranked #27 of 33 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Location, not amenities is why you stay here.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Two weekends in a row we stayed here for our daughter's UVA show. Right on The Corner, and just down the street from my kid, the location is great. No there are no extras and the room rate is crazy on football weekends ... Seriously. The rooms were clean and a little tired but we literally just slept there. It can be noisy, Hearing the housekeeping staff early in the morning was expected, and they were laughing and chatting. The kids didn't appreciate it, us old folks wake up early anyway. Convenient to walk to Grounds and Theatre ... If you can do the hills! Enjoyed the desk staff. And, even when the hotel was busy we didn't wait long for elevators to our 7th and 8th floors. Don't have expectations of luxury ... This is just fine!

Room Tip: Rooms were 2 doubles, not queens...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Yolunda A, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Charlottesville, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience. We are very convenient to everywhere you want or need to be in Charlottesville. I'm happy to hear your wait for the elevator wasn't long and the front desk staff was friendly. I'll be sure to remind the housekeeping staff to use their indoor voices when working on the floors. We look forward to serving you again in the future and hope your daughter's show went well.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

This hotel is about the location. Rooms are descent, descent size with the usual thin door so you hear everything in the hall. Housekeeping did a great job. Staff was very friendly to us. They do have a continental breakfast but it is only weekends and the food is only pre-packaged muffins/danish and some fruit.

So- the issue. We had a fire alarm around 3:30 in the morning. Everyone out on the sidewalk for half an hour. My husband later overhears a conversation by an employee that the hotel has gone non-smoking so they've set the smoke alarms to be sensitive so they can catch those that break the rule. So, the rest of us got to stand out on the sidewalk because someone snuck a cigarette in their room. Not cool.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Yolunda A, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Charlottesville, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Thank you so much for your business and your encouraging feedback about our staff. I do apologize about the 3am fire alarm, that's never fun for our guests or us. We installed the new fire system this year and have since had our fire alarm company come back to address the sensitivity issues with the alarm to prevent this from happening in the future. The bright spot is that they system was doing what it was designed to do and that is to detect a potential fire and alert everyone to get to safety. So sorry it had to be so early in the morning. Thank you again for your business and we hope to serve you again in the future.
Seattle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I hardly ever write negative hotel reviews. Most places I stay are either really nice, or they are just OK but decent value. This hotel was exceptionally poor on many levels and was also quite expensive. We were visiting Charlottesville to do sightseeing – Monticello, etc. We were there over a weekend and most other places we tried were already fully booked. We were not there for anything related to the University of Virginia, although I can see how the proximity of this hotel to the UVa campus could cause the price to be high. However, it wasn’t a weekend when there was anything special on at the university.
We had a Superior King room at $200/night. The room was very basic, with dated motel-style furniture and dim lighting. The carpet in the bedroom was dirty and un-vacuumed, with visible crumbs on the floor. The toilet had not been cleaned properly, and the bathroom floor was dirty (it didn’t just look dirty …. it really was dirty). The hotel looked shabby and rundown. Reading the reviews, I can see there are a wide variety of opinions. Perhaps some of the rooms have been updated; ours wasn’t.
The only good things I can say about the hotel are that the location is good and parking is convenient.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your response and your business. I am sorry to hear your stay did not meet your expectations. It is our goal to ensure that every customer is happy with their accommodations. I truly hope you brought your concerns to our staff during your stay so that we could address the issues for you. We have made some upgrades and are looking forward to making many more during the winter season. Thanks again for your business and we hope we can serve you better in the future.
Newport Beach
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

We arrived on Parents Weekend for the Univ. of Virginia and it was very busy. The staff was
great. The rooms are a bit tired, but just fine for the weekend. They were very helpful when
we needed to find a Verizon store for our cell phone. Would recommend this hotel for people
who are going to be using it as a base for visiting local sites.

Room Tip: The third floor is where the top of the parking lot is; very convenient.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
We were happy to host you for parents weekend. We hope you had a wonderful time with your young adult. We are very convenient to lots of great spots to include "The Corner," Scott Stadium, John Paul Jones Arena, and the Historic Downtown Mall. Hopefully you had an opportunity to partake in some of these fun locations. Thank you so much for your business and your feedback. We look forward to serving you in the future.
Washington DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Based on the number of negative reviews I was reluctant to book a room here. However, I was booking fairly late in the game and most other hotel rooms had been taken. I had a horrible experience with Budget rental car in Washington DC in the morning and they were unable to provide the car I was supposed to have rented. I kept calling to Red Roof to try to discuss this with someone as I had no way to get there. Finally, I left a message and asked someone to call me back. No one ever did. This does not inspire confidence.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Yolunda A, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Charlottesville, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
I'm sorry you were having a bad travel experience. Thank you for letting us know you had trouble getting through; that is very unusual. Someone answers the phone 24/7 at our desk or at 1-800-733-7663 so I will check with our phone service to see if there is a problem with the automated system. Since I do not know your name I'm unable to tell if you were eventually helped. I've checked with my staff and I nor them received a message so please give us a call back at 434-295-4333 and we'll be happy to help you with your needs. You are also welcomed to send me an email at i0246@redroof.com to let me know if there is still an outstanding need to be resolved. Thanks for letting us know about your experience.
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

The Red Roof Inn in Charlottesville knows the unsuspecting will still keep coming because it has choice property next to the UVa campus with parking, so it can get away with being a total dump and yet charge a premium price.

The room smelled upon entering, which we later discovered was probably because the AC unit runs water on the carpet and it is moldy--the AC unit and the carpet. Not knowing the carpet was wet next to the bed, I soaked my socks in the middle of the night.

The toilet handle was broken and so, apparently was the toilet, since it clogged and overflowed in the morning. We soaked up the water with towels so we could finish cleaning up and get out of there.

The details of the room, like the light switches and remote were sticky and grimy.

No breakfast on a $200 a night room, but on weekends, we were told, there is a "continental" breakfast. We later wondered "from what continent" as we arrived downstairs to find gross danish in plastic, like the kind you get from a vending machine. We walked a few blocks to Starbucks.

The only good thing I can say is that the parking is convenient.

Room Tip: Find a room in another hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Yolunda A, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Charlottesville, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Ms. Door,

I'm sorry that your stay was not what you had hoped for and certainly not what we wanted you to experience. Our staff has addressed the concerns in the room you stayed in so that no other guest has that same experience. I saw that my staff gave you a hospitality adjustment for the problems with your stay which I hope you found helpful. We have a great location and friendly staff; it is our desire that you'll give us another opportunity to better serve you in the future.
Idaho
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We stayed at this hotel while attending a football game. We arrived about 9 pm after a long, cross-country plane trip with a toddler. We had to wait some time at the front desk before the desk clerk arrived. There were about three parties waiting to check in by then. I don't blame the clerk, she was the ONLY employee on property that night. Our room only had two towels, even though it had two beds and we checked in with four beds. When we called down for more towels, the clerk was friendly and obliging, but again, the only employee in the hotel, so we had to wait until she was free to bring up the towels. The room itself was clean and decent sized, even with our fairly large party. I had never stayed at a Red Roof before. I was favorably impressed with the property itself, but the inadequate staffing may keep me from staying there again. I didn't feel like I could ask for anything as I knew it would further add to the already overwhelmed employee.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Yolunda A, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Charlottesville, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I'm sorry that you had to wait to check in to the hotel after a long journey. You happen to catch us during the one hour that the GSR was the only person on property. I'm glad you enjoyed the rooms and your stay otherwise. We certainly hope that you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Been to Red Roof Inn Charlottesville? Share your experiences!