“Location-location-location, friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Red Roof Inn Charlottesville

You added Red Roof Inn Charlottesville to your Saves list
Red Roof Inn Charlottesville
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1309 West Main Street, Charlottesville, VA 22903   |
Ranked #27 of 33 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
North Carolina
“Location-location-location, friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

My sons youth sports team was scheduled to play in Charlottesville and the team manager had few options for hotels. I recalled staying at the Red Roof years ago while working in Charlottesville. My co-workers always stayed at the Red Roof due to its proximity to one of our offices and the overall value--but it had been almost 10 years since I last stayed there. Many parents were skeptical--a Red Roof? Everyone I spoke with after the stay was positive about the hotel.

The location of this hotel is the main selling point. Its right on Main St., across from the hospital, and at the edge of the main campus. If your going to explore the campus and the student oriented activities, this is a great location. I'd much rather be here than at the Hampton Inn on Main, but farther from campus. There is a Courtyard between the Hampton and Red Roof.

At the Red Roof there is a Mellow Mushroom and Jimmy Johns on-site, inside the hotel building. However, there are many more choices lining Main Street as far as you'd care to walk in either direction.

The hotel shows its age in places like the elevators, door keys, repaired chips in the bath tub, the ironing board hangs out in the open, small bathrooms, etc. but its been updated over the years and I found our room to be clean and well kept. Yes, the towels were scratchy and beds sit really low by todays standards, but the room was quiet and comfortable. I understand they are undergoing a renovation in the coming months.

The front desk staff was friendly and eager to help. Even the night security staff was very friendly. Somewhere I read they don't provide breakfast, but there were pre-packaged honey buns, granola bars, etc, in the lobby, along with juice and coffee. Honestly, with all the options nearby, I wouldn't eat here even if the breakfast was comparable to a Hampton.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Yolunda A, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Charlottesville, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Thank you so much for a wonderful review. You are so right we have the best location in town. I will pass along your comments to my staff; they love to hear when guests are pleased with their service. I also would like to inform you that our hotel will be undergoing renovations starting in November and we can't wait for you to see the results. After the renovation we will have all new beds, bedding, new look to our rooms, elevators will be remodeled, and hopefully continental breakfast every day. Please come and visit us again soon and we truly appreciate you choosing the Red Roof Inn.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Norfolk, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

The price was great ($55 via priceline) for a clean, spacious room with a king-sized bed on the 8th floor. Nice views. What a great mattress! Finally, a great night's sleep.

Within close walking distance were lots of restaurants. (We ate at the Balkan Bistro, pricey but delicious). A quick elevator ride down to the parking garage. A mile or so from Monticello. I am so glad we stayed here.

Room Tip: Ask for the eighth floor if you want perfect quiet and the best views.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for telling future travelers about your pleasant experience at the Red Roof Inn. I am happy to hear you had a great night's sleep. Just so you know, we will start renovations soon and once we are done we will have all new bedding to offer you an even better sleeping experience. We look forward to serving you in the near future and thanks again for your business.
Saint Albans, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Clean and spacious room with a queen sized bed, microwave, fridge and safe. Quiet and comfortable and the staff was very friendly and helpful. As first timers to the area we felt very welcomed and they took care of us. Great location right in the middle of town convenient to everything. Since we were there for a consultation with an nuerosurgeon about my wife's back we were glad to learn that the UVA hospital was hardly more than a rocks throw from the hotel. The only negative and it's not really a big one at all is that the parking garage is very tiny and a tight squeeze for an SUV, but we managed and got used to it and learned the little secrets to manuevering around in it. Since the doc has scheduled my wife for surgery on the 3rd of October we're going to try and stay here again and get the same room.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Yolunda A, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Charlottesville, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Thank you so much for your business. I'm happy to hear your stay was enjoyable. I trust that all will go well with your wife's surgery on the 3rd of October. Currently we have plenty of rooms available on the night of the 2nd and the 3rd so when you're ready let us assist you. When you call to make your reservation be sure to ask for the hospital discount. We offer a special discount to hospital patients and their families. Thank you again for your kind words.
JERSEY CITY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

This hotel was in the best location. Food and University are within walking distances. Customer Service (Dana) was very helpful. I loved the hotel. I am from a city and like to walk so this was a better option for me.

Room Tip: Top floor gives you a great mountain view of City.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing Red Roof Inn. I am always very pleased to hear when one of our employees really made your stay special. Yes, we are situated in an excellent location, just across from UVA and UVA hospital. We also begin the "Corner" District which is made up of restaurants, bars, clothing stores and more. Again we thank you for your business and look forward to serving you again in the near future.
Brookeville, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Was happy to be given the quiet room requested and to find a fridge and microwave in the room. If one were lucky enough to get a room on the first, second or third floor, one could park on the same level - unless spots filled up. That happened to us when we went out for the evening, but we got a spot one floor down and still under cover - which was very nice since it was raining when we checked out. The room was OK although no closet to hang clothes and no shelf in the bathroom for toiletries; bed was comfortable. Juice, coffee/tea, apples/oranges and packaged muffins/sweet rolls available for breakfast. Thanks to Price Line we got a good rate.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for choosing Red Roof Inn. I happy to hear you were pleased with your room and the grab and go breakfast we offer on the weekends. We hope you'll get a chance to come back and visit us after our renovation is complete by April 2013. Thanks again for business.
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Price was less expensive than other hotels within walking distance so I was willing to give it a try when I needed to spend a few days in class at UVA. Red Roof was clean and relatively quiet. Parking in their garage was sparse for the size of the hotel (hence why I didn't rate this hotel a 4 star). This hotel definately has price and location on it's side. Parking could be better and hotel didn't have a fitness center unfortunately. I would stay there again when in the area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
I'm certainly happy to hear you were not let down by your decision to choose Red Roof Inn. Yes, our parking is a bit tight and that is due to the era in which our hotel was built. You'll be pleased to know that we are renovating to make your next stay even better. We still won't have a gym but we do have a gym membership you can take advantage of if you choose to, just speak with our front desk. Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to serving you again in the future.
Forest, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I booked this hotel at the last minute because it was very close to UVA Hospital. We were very pleased with the room, it was clean and spacious. The bathroom was also very clean. The only issue we had was that an air conditioning unit on the roof (we were on the 8th floor) kept turning on every 2 minutes, so it was a little difficult to get to sleep. The room was a non-smoking and we didn't have any issues with smell. Thank you Red Roof for the quick response in my evaluation of the room due to the a/c unit. I will most defintely use this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
I'm sorry when you needed last minute travel arrangements we were there for you. Thank you for informing us about the noise from the A/C on the roof; I've spoken with our service provider and they are working on a solution to reduce the noise. We always appreciate feedback that our team members assisted you quickly with your concerns. We hope that Red Roof Inn can be there for you again to fulfill your travel needs.

Been to Red Roof Inn Charlottesville? Share your experiences!