“My Opinion” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Graduate Charlottesville

You added Graduate Charlottesville to your Saves list
Graduate Charlottesville
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1309 West Main Street, Charlottesville, VA 22903 (Formerly Red Roof Inn Charlottesville)   |
Vancouver, Washington
“My Opinion”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

I am always for the underdog so I decided to stay at Red Roof Inn to see if the negative comments were valid. I am sorry to say that this hotel is not up to par. Stayed in room 824. This room was supposed to be smoke free. It was not. It reeked of smoke. Even the bath towels. Since we are on the subject of bath towels, you could use them to exfoliate you skin!!! I went to bed early because the smoke gave me a horrible headache. The only positive is the location. Several places to eat and located across from UVA. To be fair, I did complain in the morning at check out and I feel I was compensated fairly.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Yolunda A, General Manager at Graduate Charlottesville, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
I'm sorry that you had the misfortune of staying in a room that smelled of smoke. The room is a non-smoking and sometimes, unfortunately, other guests are not always respectful of that fact since we currently offer smoking rooms; however, that is about to change. Starting in November we will be completely renovating the hotel and our facility will become 100% smoke free. To ensure all guests are respectful of this we will impose a $250 fine for anyone that violates the agreement. Thank you for telling us about your experience and we will do our best to catch these mishaps in the future, prior to guest check-in. We certainly hope that you will give us a better opportunity to serve you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Got this hotel through a 2-1/2 star bid and it was decent. The hotel was also in a very good downtown location and permitted us to walk around a bit and take in some of the local establishments. They did have some kind of funky key system rather than a simple prox card but whatever, whatever.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
I'm glad that you found our location good and our price right. We are looking forward to switching over to a more traditional key system once our hotel in renovated in a couple of months. We appreciate your business and hope that you will allow us to serve you again in the near future.
Clarksburg, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Prior to booking the hotel, checked various websites for rates and info about Charlottesville. Selected "RRI" because of location and price. We attended the DAUGHTRY concert at the nTelos Wireless Pavilion that evening. The free trolley was great to use to/from the downtown mall & pavilion area. The desk clerk was pleasant and answered all questions that we had.
Checking in & out was fast.

It's no 5-star luxury resort of course, but room was comfortable, ac worked fine and parking was free and convenient. (Stayed in Cleveland previous week and paid $20 valet plus tip or self park 3 blocks away) The frig, microwave and flat screen tv were in our room also. No complaints about the lobby area, stairs, or elevators. All clean and looked fine. I would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Yolunda A, General Manager at Graduate Charlottesville, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Thank you so much for choosing to stay at the Red Roof Inn Charlottesville. I will certainly pass along your comments to my staff. I hope you and your family enjoyed the concert. It truly is nice that you can walk to downtown or just take the free trolley; what a convienience. Well, should you need to let your hair down again, please keep us in mind. There are many great concerts at the Pavilion so hopefully we'll see you soon. Stay tuned for our renovation coming this fall.
Winchester, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

To start off, I'd like to say that comparing a 2 star hotel to a 4 star hotel is like comparing an action flick to an epic love story. Different classes entirely. Make no mistake, there is no pool, no continental breakfast, and no conditioner in the bathrooms. That said, after reading several reviews on here I was quite frightened of my Priceline purchase, but extremely pleased with what I got. I would absolutely stay here again.
We got to Charlottesville late in the evening, and the overnight desk clerk was exceedingly pleasant and personable. She directed us to many places to visit in the area, and made sure we didn't have any questions. The whole check-in process was a breeze, though coming in at midnight we took the last parking spot in the lot. And it wasn't a busy weekend.
The room was very clean, bathroom looked to be remodeled, and the beds were comfy. Also water bottles, candy, and cheetos were laid out for us. At the top floor vibrations from the laundry were a bit noticeable at first, but after 5 minutes in the room I could no longer tell.
Check-out was at noon, and the morning clerk was even more hospitable than our overnight, and even seemed to take great pride in both his job, and the old building that housed it.
Red Roof Inn is an older chain with several stigmas attached to it. This one goes above and beyond in the care of its rooms, lobby, and of its staff to crack that stigma to pieces. I absolutely would recommend this to anyone looking to explore Charlottesville for a weekend, or even just in town to visit someone on campus with the need to be close by.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for staying with Red Roof Inn. Thanks also for a pleasant and detailed account of your stay with us. We appreciate your willingness to spread the word. I would like to let you know that in an effort to keep breaking those stigmas; Red Roof Inn in Charlottesville will be undergoing a full renovation starting in mid-November. We hope that you will have an opportunity to come back and see what we've done to ensure you continue to tell your friends about us. Thank you so much for your stay and I will pass along your comments to my staff.
Bridgewater, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

This hotel has a great location, right across the street from UVA. We arrived late at night, but was still cheerfully greeted by the front desk staff. There was a small mixup with the rooms (first set of rooms assigned were under construction). This was quickly cleared up. The room was very clean. It was furnished sparsly but for the money, you received everything you needed.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Thanks for letting us know about your stay and thank you for choosing Red Roof Inn-Charlottesville. I'm sorry to hear there was a mix-up with your room but I'm happy to know it was quickly resolved. Once we complete our renovations in the fall I think you'll find the room is not as sparse as it may appear right now. Thank you so much and we're glad you enjoyed your stay. Please come again soon.
Northern Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

In June, I spent three nights at the Red Roof Inn on the edge of the Corner in Charlottesville, I had stayed here several times before while attending Thomas Jefferson Symposia, usually held each year at this time. I chose the Inn as a convenient alternative to Brown College or the Lawn(if available) because of its off-Grounds location, and i like to walk through the Corner area and around the Grounds to and from classes and events.
The Red Roof Inn has completed some renovations to the rooms, which I found very comfortable and clean. The room had a flat screen TV, a small fridge, a microwave, and a small, effiecent one-cup coffee maker. Maid service was very good and the front desk was cheerful and helpful. Parking is convenient and on site.
This was my best stay at the Red Roof Inn over the last several years.

Room Tip: Room in rear overlooks parking lot, but is probably quieter. I don't stay here for the view.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for choosing Red Roof Inn over the accommodation options available to you. Yes, we have made some improvements but the best is yet to come. We will be completely renovating the hotel in the fall so when you return next year you will be staying in a new hotel. Thank you for your business over the years and we are certainly happy to hear that we made this your best stay. Thank you.
Courtland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

I came to Charlottesville to pick up my daughter who had attended a summer program for high school students at UVA. I took advantage of a deal of the day that Red Roof Inn had on their webpage. I chose this hotel because of its location. Shana on the front desk was welcoming and friendly. She even left a message on our room phone to make sure that the room was okay. Isabella of housekeeping on the third floor gave us additional towels as there were three of us. She smiled and made us feel very welcome.

Our room was clean and cool and we stayed there on one of the hottest days of June. While I have stayed in more upscale hotels, this one was fine for us. My only criticism was that the air conditioning unit was rather loud, but this is the case in most places. On the plus side, the cooling unit was away from the drapes, so there was no blowing of fabric. Other than that, the hall was quiet.

When we checked out, Danna removed the $1.50 charge for the safe as we did not use it. She also told us that we could leave our car in the parking deck after we checked out. We took the free trolley down to the downtown mall which is really like a glamorous old fashioned main street. Yet if you choose not to go "downtown" which is only a few miles away, there is plenty to do "on the corner" as it is called. Also, the university rotunda is close and even though I am from Virginia, its beauty always makes me pause.

If you are considering booking online, consider this: I did not check the discounted sites on the web, but went directly to the Red Roof page. They have deals of the day and these deals change daily. I was pleased with the generous discount.

We will stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for choosing us for your hotel stay. We appreciate the time and attention you took with commenting on each employee that made an impact on your stay. I will be sure to let them all know how much you appreciated their service. Hopefully UVA will become a pick for your daughter when she begins her college tours. If you should travel this way again we'd certainly love to have you back here at the Red Roof Inn. Thanks once again.

Been to Graduate Charlottesville? Share your experiences!