“Consistently excellent food and service!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: Afghan
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery
“Consistently excellent food and service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

The Afghan Kabob Palace delivers consistently on what we would consider to be a perfect meal. While this is admittedly a bold statement, let me tell you about a few of our highlights:

KADU: You will see this butternut squash on the menu in a few different places - eat it immediately! The sauce and spicing is remarkable, and always cooked to just the right tenderness.

Borani Badenjan: This 'fried' eggplant is more sautéed than fried (it is not battered), and also sauced deliciously with mint and yogurt. It comes with naan bread, which you use to scoop from plate to mouth.

Aushak: These leek dumplings are a favorite, and can come with meat sauce or as a vegetarian dish. They are boiled dumplings, and not the most texturally interesting (my other half is not as thrilled about them as I am), but still quite tasty. Yum!

For the meat eaters, who may be a bit less adventurous, the Chicken Tandoori is a reliable and tender-cooked half chicken that comes with lots of sides.

I am not a huge fan typically of kabobs, as they are usually more dried out meat, but we have tried many of them here, and they are good enough. As the restaurant's namesake, try a few to see which you like. You should make this place a regular stop, so get to know the menu and the pleasant folks who work here.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

85% Recommend
Charlottesville, VA
“Great Catering Service! Everyone loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

I wanted to have a vegetarian dinner party for my 50th birthday and chose Afghan Kabob Palace to cater it. Farid and everyone I interacted with at the restaurant was accommodating courteous and efficient. The party was a big hit. Everyone loved the food and most guests (I had 35-40 people) are not vegetarians. I had some guests who are Afghan who approved of the food. My only complaint was that there was too much food and I had to figure out what to do with a lot of leftovers. I have also eaten at the restaurant. I like the Boranyi and Kadu the most, I guess. I've never been disappointed by anything I've tasted. I recommend this restaurant without reservation. If you've never tried Afghan food I think this would be a great place to try it. The staff is good about explaining the menu items. The people sitting around me seemed to be repeat customers. I know I will be!

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Madison, Virginia
“A Wow in Charlottesville! Great food, nice atmosphere, reasonable prices.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

My first visit (of many, I hope) to this gem of a restaurant. My lamb was tender, flavorful...and modestly priced. The atmosphere and decor were very nice. I'm looking forward to eating my way through the menu. Even though I was dining alone, the waitress was very attentive and pleasant. Oh, and the rest room was super clean, with lovely tiles! Great for date night, too.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Milwaukee, WI
“Great food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Very good food, large menu with many choices and dishes not seen everywhere. The lamb was superb-tender and abundant. Quick service, lovely waitress. Don't miss this one!

Visited October 2013
charlottesville
“awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

when we moved from DC about 15 years ago, I was so bummed we'd be moving away from a rare restaurant--Afghani (then they were very hard to come by). So it was lovely when this terrific Afghani restaurant opened in Charlottesville. We love it, they people who run it are so nice too.

• Visited October 2013