“Mediocre Buffet” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Delivery
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Mediocre Buffet”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I've only had the buffet, but I found it to be something of a disappointment. The options were limited and the food wasn't particularly well-seasoned. There simply wasn't enough quality food to distinguish Afghan cuisine from standard Indian fare. And given that it costs 8.95 a head, you would have a hard time convincing me to stop here instead of driving a little ways up the road to Milan or Royal Indian where the options are much more varied and flavorful. If you are on the corner and looking for a place within walking distance, maybe it's worth a shot. Maybe. But they are seriously going to have to up their game if they want me to open my wallet here and not someplace else on Route 29 N.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Clinton, Mississippi
“My favorite restaurant in Charlottesville”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I visit Charlottesville about twice a year on business. I never leave without dinner at the Afgan Kabab. I've never selected an entree that was less than delicious, and the portions are generous (I usually leave with a take-out). The service is friendly and prompt every time. I have not tried the buffet, so I can't speak to that. Authenticity is not 100 percent, but I can forgive a little culinary license when the result is so pleasing to the palate.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Charlottesville
“disappointing and bland buffet, but not terrible - just okay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I ate here for lunch recently for their lunch buffet and was a little disappointed. It wasn't bad, don't get me wrong, I was just expecting more. I thought it was limited and bland and it didn't strike me as having a lot of authentic Afghan dishes. The buffet was small and limited. They only had 2 true meat items available. One was tandoori chicken, which was fine but a little bland. The other was some kind of mediocre salmon dish. They also had white and brown rice, but no interesting sauces or anything to put over it - just chick peas. They did have beef samosas on their buffet, which were good but not great. I think the most interesting dish was some kind of eggplant casserole thing, which was tasty, but not great. The buffet was priced reasonably, though, at about $8 or 9 bucks. With a soda, tax and tip, my bill came to $12-13. If I were to come back here, I'd order off the menu (which is also available during lunch) and ask the server for guidance for a more authentic dish to try. But I would probably only come back if I was with somone else who really wanted to try it.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Great, great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

I went here with a couple of international friends and we loved it. The food is very, very good. I've to say not everything they offer is truly Afghan, there are a lot of Indian dishes on their menu too, just to mention an example. But that's ok right, because it's all delicious like crazy. I took the Chicken Tandoori which was perfect. The chicken was nice and tender and their portions are quite large.

• Visited December 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Afghani food in Charlottesville, VA? YES!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012 via mobile

Great kabobs, great service, reasonable prices. Be sure to try the butternut squash curry. The spinach is also very good. The steak kabob is good, but the lamb is better.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere