“$200 a night for damp, dark, and dingy?” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Charlottesville - University Medical Center

Save Saved
You added Courtyard by Marriott Charlottesville - University Medical Center to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Charlottesville - University Medical Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1201 West Main Street, Charlottesville, VA 22903   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
3-Night Stays: Save 15%
Ranked #17 of 33 hotels in Charlottesvill...
usa
“$200 a night for damp, dark, and dingy?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

I don't object to paying $200 a night for a nice hotel, but this is the worst Marriott I've stayed in, and charging that much for a low-quality room is egregious. There was no football game in town the weekend that I stayed, so I assume this is their usual rate. The lobby is fine, but the rooms need to be renovated. We had a few rooms booked for our party, and everyone had similar complaints. Our room smelled like dirty, wet rags ... it was dark and dingy with very poor, yellowish lighting that made the rooms look thoroughly depressing ... there was a disturbing gluey-looking stain on the carpet that compelled me to keep my shoes on at all times ... the bathrooms were like those of a cheap roadside motel. If I were charged $85 a night, I'd think I was getting a fair deal, but I don't want anyone making the mistake that I did in thinking that they were going to get a very nice room for their money. The positive side is the location -- it's in walking distance to restaurants, but so is the Red Roof Inn.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Eric H, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Charlottesville - University Medical Center, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear travelingyogi,

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your time with us. We do recognize they need for a guest room renovation and we have scheduled it to begin December 1, 2013 and we should be finished by the first week of February 2014. If you would call me at 434-977-1700, I would certainly like to find out which room you were in to investigate your issues. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

151 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We stayed while we were in town for a basketball game with our son and our nephew. It's fantastic.We got one of the newly-renovated rooms and it was very nicely decorated, very spacious for the 4 of us and the service was outstanding. It's within walking distance to lots of restaurants and to the University itself. We will definitely be staying here again, next time we are in Charlottesville. Cute little bistro-type bar downstairs too. Loved it all the way around.

Room Tip: ask for a newly-renovated room (but they may all be renovated by now)
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Acforrest,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. The new rooms we have renovated are fantastic and we will begin to renovate all guest rooms beginning December 1, 2013 and will be complete by the first week of February. We are all very excited about this. Thanks again.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

During the weekend of September the 28th and 29th, I had 4 Marriott hotel rooms in Charlottesville for a visit to the University of Virginia. One of them was at the Residence Inn, another was in the Courtyard Charlottesville North, and two of them were here at the Courtyard by Marriott Charlottesville- University Medical Center. Out of all of them, this one made the mark.

The guy who checked me in was excellent. I asked for recommendations on the area, and he told me of places to go and things to do that were right on the strip for UVA. And the ladies who worked that night were especially friendly and hospitable.

The design is fantastic. The entrance reminded me of Europe, and the GoBoard is extremely convenient. There's a Bistro that has great food, and when I asked for extra blankets, pillows, and towels, they were delivered promptly.

The garage is tricky. It is on an incline, so it takes some skill to go in, but the ladies working the pm shift taught me how to maneuver my vehicle in their garage.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear JesseIlao,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate the kind words and we are very proud of our associates and we do take pride in delivering the best service we possibly can. Thanks again.
Syracuse, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We enjoy Charlottesville so much. This was a very nice place, but I wish it had a resturant. The staff was very helpful and they helped us with directions. The lobby area has been updated and we spent time visiting. The pool was vey nice for the kids.

Room Tip: We always ask for a high floor and it is great.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Virginia Beach, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

My son and I just returned from staying at the Courtyard. We have stayed there a few times in the past and love the location. However, I must agree with everyone about the staff. From check in to check out everyone was extremely helpful and friendly. The Sunday morning, August 11th, Bistro staff went out of their way to show extreme kindness to me. Unfortunately, I did not get their names; but it was one gentlemen and two ladies; thank you very much! Your genuine concern and kindness will not be forgotten. Thank you!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Bridgewater
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

I recently stayed at the Courtyard while on business at UVA. Not only was the hotel in the perfect location for visiting just about any place you need to go at the Univ., but the hotel was nice and clean and looks to be recently updated. I was able to walk from the hotel to my appointments within the university and my dinner appointment and breakfast appointment the next morning. I will definitely revisit this hotel on my next trip to Charlottesville. Room was spacious, clean and the shower was well kept and clean. The staff was very friendly and made me feel at home.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Saint Augustine, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

I stayed here recently and couldn't have picked a better location! It is easy walking distance to food and shops and UVA. It has a secure parking garage and the whole hotel is well maintained. The Bistro staff and front desk staff were enthusiastic and informative. At one point, when talking to the front desk, the general manager was there as well and he encouraged me to be sure and let them know if there was anything thing I needed in the hotel or around town; that they would help me out. I would definitely stay here again. Thank you Courtyard Medical Center for a nice weekend.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Charlottesville - University Medical Center? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Courtyard by Marriott Charlottesville - University Medical Center

Address: 1201 West Main Street, Charlottesville, VA 22903
Location: United States > Virginia > Charlottesville
Ranked #17 of 33 hotels in Charlottesvill...
Hotel Class:3 star — Courtyard by Marriott Charlottesville - University Medical Center 3*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Marriott, Priceline, Travelocity, Tingo, HotelsClick, Despegar.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Venere and Agoda so you can book your Courtyard by Marriott Charlottesville - University Medical Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Courtyard By Marriott Charlottesville - University Medical Hotel Charlottesville
Courtyard University Medical Center
Courtyard Charlottesville
Charlottesville Courtyard
Charlottesville Marriott

If you own or manage Courtyard by Marriott Charlottesville - University Medical Center, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.