“Fresh food, no fuss staff” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Basil Mediterranean Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #98 of 430 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Basil Mediterranean Bistro is located in the heart of UVA campus. Basil is an exciting culinary experience encompassing some of the Mediterranean's best; Mezzas (Tapas), Laffas (Rollups), Paninis, Pasta, Gourmet Pizzas, Fresh Salads, Kabobs, Italian Dolces (Desserts) and Specialty Italian Drinks.
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Fresh food, no fuss staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

I have eaten at Basil several times. Each time I have been very happy with the food. Fresh, delicious and beautifully plated. Today was no different. Our server was efficient, although not particularly friendly. The restaurant is small and gets pretty crowded at lunchtime with hospital and UVA employees. Can get loud because the tables are close. The menu is large with many options from sandwiches, salads and other Mediterranean fare. The food is so good, it is worth the occasional hassle.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Fairfax, Virginia
“Excellent food, great dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

Recommended by my daughter, we went to Basil Mediterranean bistro in Charlottesville and really enjoyed the dining experience. We went in early for lunch on a Sunday (around 11:30 AM) and the restaurant was reasonably empty. The proprietor Raif Antar served us personally and was very attentive and diligent in meeting the various demands we placed on him.

We started with an appetizer of Date and Walnut Crostino. A delicious appetizer with dates and walnuts atop toasted baguette slices with melted blue cheese and drizzled with honey and a balsamic reduction, we were ready and warmed up for the next course.

I had the Il Rustico panini with the house salad on the side. The food came promptly and was presented very well. The salad had baby spinach, arugula, diced cucumber and tomatoes and delicious toasted bread wafers with a house dressing served on the side. The panini itself was grilled in a crusty bread with chicken, eggplant, fresh mozzarella, red peppers, sun dried tomato pesto. The taste of the panini was uniformly good with the olive oil from the sun dried pesto adding great mouth feel. The food was plentiful and at the end of the meal, my stomach was enjoyably full.

My wife ordered the Melanza con Basilico - a vegetarian version of the Il Rustico but with a basil pesto. She also ordered the side salad. She enjoyed the panini and the salad but found the panini was heavier than she could take in one meal and wound up packing the remaining half as did my daughter who ordered her usual favorite at this restaurant: Pollo con caprese paninin with the side house salad.

As a family we enjoyed the meal at this restaurant. I adventurously ordered the Turkish coffee to end the meal and it was delicious. Served in a demi tasse cup but delivered with the long handled metallic pot used to make Turkish coffee, I enjoyed the thick viscous dark liquid.

The decor of the restaurant is Greek/Turkish/Greek Islandish with the Greek Blue as the dominant theme everywhere. Dark woods, whitewash walls and blue napkins, glasses, lights adds to the experience of being on the Greek Isles.

The restaurant is pricey for a student place but if you are looking for fine dining, this is definitely the ticket.

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Virginia
“If you like surly service, this may be perfect for you”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

Call me old fashioned, but I like a wait staff that acknowledges me. The waitress I encountered at Basil today was possibly the single worst server I've ever encountered: she was neglectful, avoided eye contact, and ultimately just threw the check on the table. When she came out with the salads, she did say, "I gave you his salad" to my wife. What a charmer. It's difficult to talk about the food when one has waited too long for service and leaves feeling abused rather than attended to. On the basis of this visit, I'd visit any other restaurant before I returned to Basil.

• Visited April 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Fabulous food and wine list - at a great price!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

We stumbled upon this restaurant for dinner after asking some UVA students for a recommendation. It's just a few steps off the main "Corner" area from campus. Both our salads were DELICIOUS.. with a nice choice of wines by the glass. My salad had grilled salmon added to the "Mediterranean salad" and it was truly memorable. The hummus appetizer was homemade and great, though the pita bread served with it was underwhelming. We spied some great pastas and sandwiches at a neighboring table. Portions are plentiful. We sat outside on the patio where there are five or six tables. Large windows make the inside of the restaurant a pleasant experience as well. Will definitely go back to Basil when next in Charlottesville.

Visited April 2012
Charlottesville, Virginia
“good sandwiches”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

I really like the sandwiches here. We order at work quite a bit. Yum!

Visited November 2011