“Great duck” 5 of 5 stars

434-984-9749
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Local is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #44 of 474 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Entertaining clients, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
new jersey
“Great duck”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We had a really great duck dinner at the restaurant. We ate inside and the atmosphere was lovely: exposed brick but surprisingly quiet. Service was attentive and paced nicely. My only complaint was I ordered the crab soup and it was REALLY spicy. While I enjoyed it, I am not sure if would have gotten it and My husband didn't even try it after seeing my eyes upon tasting. I wish the waiter had warned me. We were lucky to get a seat without a reservation so you should probably get one. We were there on a Tuesday night.

Visited October 2013

“Delicious food, not kid friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

Food was great and we enjoyed the specialty cocktails but this place is not kid friendly. We walked in without a reservation with our 9 month old and the 2 hostesses whispered about whether or not to seat us.we should have taken this as our cue and left. Service was great and food delicious but no high chairs or kid friendly food.

Visited October 2013
Alexandria, Virginia
“Second visit a disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I was there a year ago and enjoyed The Local quite a bit. However, my recent visit was a disappointment. I made reservations six weeks in advance. When I called a few days before my visit to let them know my party size had decreased from four to three, the woman who took the call bordered on rude and asked for me to come an hour earlier. I agreed to come a half hour earlier. When we arrived, we were seated outside, having been told that they had several parties and that that was the only choice. The hostess, like the woman's who had taken my call, was rude. It was getting cold outside, guests had to maneuver sideways to squeeze past our table to go to the restroom, and the front sidewalk is just not a very pleasant dining location. While the food was ok (not outstanding), the overall experience was very disappointing. I seriously doubt I will return.

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Charlottesville VA
“Nice food and larger than it looks from outside.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We had visited here when it first opened several years ago and enjoyed the small restaurant. We were taken there by son and DIL recently and found a large second floor area is now open -- quite literally. Although under a roof, very large windows were completely open on a mild fall evening. In cooler weather, they can obviously be closed and there are big overhead heaters.

Service was friendly and I appreciated that entrees could be ordered in two different portion sizes and prices. I had a good vegetarian pasta. Husband had something big and meaty with some to take home for the next night. No way was the dog getting it!

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Fowey, United Kingdom
“Very good food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Went here on recommendation from our hotel and it didn't dissappoint. We had an outside table on the balcony and although the view isn't much to write home about it added to the experience. We went on a night when the wine was half price which really helped. All in all the food and service was brilliant.

• Visited August 2013