“Not Bad” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia

You added Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia to your Saves list
Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   105 N. Emmet St, Charlottesville, VA 22903   |
Ranked #24 of 33 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
USA
“Not Bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2007

We were originally going to stay at the Hamptom Inn, but decided to save a few bucks and get a more convenient location by switching to the Best Western.

It was, all in all, fine. The hotel is very convenient to the campus, and about 10 minutes from Monticello. The room was pretty much as expected -- clean, the usual amenities, a decent breakfast. The only real complaint was with the a/c, which was quite noisy. (This was a problem in several hotels on our trip -- must be a Virginia thing ...)

If I was going to stay longer than one night I might go for something a bit more flash, but for a place to sleep and grab breakfast, this hotel more than met our needs.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Surrey, UK.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2007

We stayed as tourists and the hotel was conveniently located for this. Its on R29 at Ivy, and from there it's about a 10-minute walk to the magnificent Rotunda at the university (worth a visit in its own right). From there, the free 'trolley' will take you about another mile east to the downtown area. The hotel is hard on R29, which is a very busy road, and although they have glassed in the external walkways which give access to the rooms, light sleepers might find this side noisy; in that case, ask for the rear side.
The room was of good size, with two large, comfortable beds. The decor is rather dark so things can appear a bit gloomy, notwithstanding large exterior windows. We though bathroom appointment was fine. We found the aircon fan extremely noisy, a definite drawback.
Reception staff were very friendly and helpful.
There is a business centre with two internet terminals but the internet service suffers from the fact it's part of the university's system (the university owns the hotel) and, infuriatingly, the system will only access websites pre-approved by the university, which effectively renders the system practically useless.
A good continental buffet breakfast was provided.
We enjoyed our stay here and, at $85+, we thought it was good value.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ashburn, Va
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2007

We stayed at the Best Western Cavalier Inn while we were in Charlottesville for a Red Hot Chili Peppers concert at the arena. The location was perfect! Closer to the arena than some of the parking, which you had to pay $16 for. The room was nice for a 2 star hotel. Clean, comfortable, and surprisingly quiet! The hotel was booked with concert go-ers and I was expecting to hear loud partying but we only heard one drunkard bouncing off the hallway walls. The hotel also has a complimentary continental breakfast that had a good variety of cereals, oatmeal, coffee/juices/milk, fresh fruit, yogurt, muffins, bagels, waffles, and hard boiled eggs. The location of the hotel is not only close to the arena, but the campus and down town as well. My only complaint would be the lack of temperature control in the room. There were 2 thermostats and a separate fan adjustment, but we couldn't get any of them to turn on. It was not unbearable, but after 2 showers with no vent fan we had to prop the door to cool the room off a little. I would still recommend this to anyone looking to stay near the UVA campus and would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — room temperature control
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
chicago,il
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2006

Moving my daughter into UVA I stayed here on the recommendation of the orientation dept. The staff was very nice and addressed any issues we had. We had a room on the 4th floor on the side with the parking lot. Our room was clean, we got extra towels with out any problems. The bed was fine and breakfast was adaquete. I read many of the reviews before I went and was very wary of the property. However our experience was fine and for the price you cannot expect 5 star accomadations. I would stay again if going to visit as you cannot beat the location and convience of getting places from there.

• Liked — location
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Summit, NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2006

We had reservations at this hotel, and I choose it for the proximity to UVA and the downtown district. Big mistake.

Pulled into the lot and the first we saw was a freight train rumbling by adjacent to the hotel. (Think My Cousin Vinny) It was downhill from there. The lobby was old, but rather quaint, and the desk clerk was very nice, but the elevator was dingy and dirty, the hallway to the room was worse, and the room itself was dark and dingy. Bathrooms needed updating and looked unclean.

We went back to the lobby and when we said we weren't staying, the clerk was actully very pleasant and cancelled our reservation without an argument.

Given it's location, this property would do well to update.

We found a beautiful hotel down Rt. 29, and had a pleasant stay for just a little more money.

• Liked — Nothing.
  • Disliked — The room itself.
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Covington, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2006

I stayed here to attend a meeting in the area and because I am a Best Western GoldCrownClub card member gave this hotel a try. At the front desk they could not find my reservation(luckily I had my confirmation from the web-site). I stayed on the side of the hotel with a glass enclosure facing the outside. It was like a hothouse in the hall with the sun coming through the window. The room was standard, but the bed was way to soft and I had a back ache the next day. You had to have a P.H.D. to figure out the cooling/heating system(two thermostats,one cooling and the other heating at the same time)which I fixed by trial and error after about an hour. The free breakfast was OK, but my back could not take another night at this hotel. When I am in this area again I will go to the Holiday Inn, my back will thank me the next morning.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2006

I stayed at this property for four nights in April. If you want a decent room at a competitive price (I paid $75 a night for a double), a location near UVA, the UVA athletic facilities, "the Corner," and a huge mall all within walking distance, Best Western Cavalier is a good choice. A good breakfast buffet is included. Closer to "the Corner" and the Downtown Mall is the Red Roof for a few dollars more.

Stayed April 2006

Been to Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia? Share your experiences!