“Older Hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia

You added Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia to your Saves list
Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   105 N. Emmet St, Charlottesville, VA 22903   |
Ranked #22 of 33 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Rhode Island
“Older Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2009

The King bed was comforable and the room was clean. A good location in Charlottesville at the center of the University. The hotel is old and tired but clean. Just a short walk to the Rotunda. My reservation for the President's Pass was messed up by the staff. So I was mildly hassled at Monticello.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
CavalierInnGM, General Manager at Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia, responded to this review, April 2, 2009
Dear MatthewRhodeIsland,

Thank you for your comments regarding you stay at the Cavalier Inn Charlottesville. We always welcome your comments and I will be sure to follow up with the associates as to why the issue with the Presidents Package occured so this can be avoided in the future. I am glad you enjoyed your time in Charlottesville and we hope you visit again.

Richard J. Smith, CHS

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Mayland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2008

The people working there were very friendly. Overall, though, the place was a bit of a dump. Water from rain leaved all over the walk around balconies leaving puddles and a slippery surface. The first room I checked in had a phone that did not work. I asked for another room and the staff were very nice and got me one immediately. I did overhear one lady saying she was in a room with a phone that didn't work and a door that didn't lock. A colleague complained of a heater that was so loud, he couldn't sleep comfortably - mine was fine, though. If you just need a place to sleep, this hotel is fine, but do not expect much beyond the basics.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
CavalierInnGM, General Manager at Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia, responded to this review, December 3, 2008
Thank you for comments regarding your experience with the Cavalier Inn. I apologize for your dissatisfaction and we regret any inconvenience you may have experienced. Firstly, let me start by apologizing for the discomfort you experienced during your stay here at the property during your trip to Charlottesville. We constantly strive to meet and exceed guest expectations and during your visit we did not achieve this.

All the issues you mentioned will be fully investigated as we do we make every effort to make all guest experiences great. I can understand how the issues you encountered can deter from the overall experience.
I am deeply concerned with the issues you experienced during your stay at the Cavalier Inn and would like to discuss them futher with you.

Richard J Smith
rsmith@cavalierinn.com
West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2008

Wow, after reading the reviews of the Cavalier Inn, I almost didn't book here, but I decided to go ahead with it based on the location of the hotel. My daughter and I were touring the Univ. of Virginia, and the hotel was within walking distance of everywhere we wanted to go. After reading the reviews, I expected it to be terrible, but the lobby area was very pretty, and our room was clean. The upstairs hallways were undergoing some renovation and there were painters and equipment around, but it really didn't bother us. It was a little noisy (located right on Rt. 29), and the A/C clicking on and off woke me up a few times, but otherwise, we had a great stay. The staff was very nice, the breakfast was fine, and there was plenty of parking. Being right on campus was terrific - at one point, the UVA band was practicing on the field directly across from the hotel, and it was so cool to be able to watch them! If my daughter ends up at UVA, I would definitely stay here again. For $80, tax included, it was a great value.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Small bathroom
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2008

This hotel is truly gross--outdated rooms, dirty facilities, and a pathetic business center, as other reviewers have noted. It is definitely worth paying a bit more to stay at any of, for instance, the Hampton Inns in Cville, which are much nicer.

I understand that the Cavalier Inn is slated for destruction by UVA in the near future--hence the lack of investment in the property. They should sell opportunities to bang away at it with the wrecking ball--I would buy one.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
ALEXANDRIA va
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2008

It was with fear and trepidation that I booked a room on Labor Day (Sept 1, 2008) at the Cavalier Inn after reading about the terrible conditions and rotten time that several posters suffered. We had stayed there two years ago when we dropped our son off at UVA and had to drive up with a spare set of car keys he had lost..Back then, we found the place clean and what we have come to realistically expect for under a $100 for a double room in such a desirable location. It seems a real bargain.

It is no longer a Best Western franchise, instead it is owned and operated by the University of Virginia foundation. Our shower was very clean with no mold, carpet dry, and the front desk as friendly as possible. True, it is not the Omni but it was only one hundred dollars ($89 rate plus $5 state & $5 local tax) while the cheapest rate at Omni was two hundred dollars. It is finishing up a renovation project and the heater and air conditioner were new instead of the old window boxy units. the decor is still dated and not replaced, instead they have pictures of UVA teams and UVA colors in the lobby.

What we loved both times was the great breakfast that is included as part of the price. It is called "continental" but there were hard boiled eggs, bagels, english muffins, pastries, yoplait fruit yogurt, banannas, apples, cheerios (plus two other cereals I forget) all with 3 coffeee dispensers and two toasters. Not to mention free parking and being a three minute drive from our son's dorm.

• Liked — proximity to UVA and price
  • Disliked — internet access
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
atlanta, ga
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2008

I am an extensive traveler and this is bar-none, the worst hotel I've ever stayed at. I knew Thomas Jefferson designed the UVa campus, but I didn't know he built this hotel as well - at least that's how old it seemed.

It is no longer a Best Western, probably because BW doesn't want their name attached to such a dingy place. It needs to be razed and built anew.

The main problem was the rooms are disgusting. The carpet in our room was soaked, not wet, but soaked. My kids walked around in socks at first, then we noticed their socks were soaked. They walked in sandals the rest of the 2 days there. Of course, wet floors mean mold and mold means smell. The room stunk of what I am sure were several hundred species of molds and mildews. The hotel was sold out during our time their due to 3 weddings at UVa, so we were stuck there.

Worse off, the bath was totally repugnant. My brother in law refused to take a shower in his without his sandals. Our room had mold all over the grought and caulk around the tiles and I was afraid to touch any part of the tile wall or the shower curtain.

The 'business center' is a sorry excuse for a room with 2 pc's with desktops on the ground, cluttered wires everywhere and 2 monitors on a countertop. Neither pc worked when i first tried then i realized the internet cables were unplugged. After plugging it in, I was able to get on one website, but since the hotel is now owed by UVa, they block access to almost EVERY commercial site (espn, cnn, google, etc...).

Overall a terrible place to stay, no matter the price. I only hope that we didn't bring any bedbugs or aspergillus home.

• Disliked — Nasty odors, wet carpets, mold in tub
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sicklerville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2008

This hotel is conveniently located on the main road of town and walking distance from the University of Virginia. The room was small for a family of four. It could use some updating. The continental breakfast was good! Plenty of food and room to relax in the eating area. Couches and TV are available. The service was prompt and helpful. We did have a little problem with our reservation cost but was resolved. We spent sometime in the pool at the end of the day after viewing the local historical sites. The pool was very clean and a nice size. The exterior of the building and parking lot needs some updating. Restaurants are close by. Overall a nice hotel for a couple of nights.

• Liked — Convenience
  • Disliked — Small room
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia? Share your experiences!