“Dirty and disappointing” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia

You added Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia to your Saves list
Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   105 N. Emmet St, Charlottesville, VA 22903   |
Ranked #24 of 33 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Brooklyn, New York
“Dirty and disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

I was very surprised at the low quality of this hotel, given that its rates are not bargain basement and it's one of the primary properties serving UVA. Our room was plain dirty--carpets not vacuumed, visible dirt on the bed comforters, moldy shower curtain, rusty shower rod, and a general air of less-than-freshness. When we checked in, our room was out of toilet paper. The free breakfast featured sour milk, bacon that looked like it was cooked three days ago, and again, dirty, debris-covered carpets and sticky, crumb-covered tables. When I mentioned the state of the room to the receptionist at checkout, she said she'd "mention it" to housekeeping. Only when I pressed did she issue a not very sincere apology. I would say the quality of the room and inn was far below a national bargain hotel chain like the Holiday Inn. In short, it was kind of a dump.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
CavalierInn, General Manager at Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Hello JDD from Brooklyn,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I am sorry you felt the hotel was not up to your standards, I appreciate all of the comments and suggestions that guests leave so we can make the necessary changes to ensure that we meet all of our guests expectations. We wish you the best in your future travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

This review is being written before my stay has even commenced. I spoke to the most awful woman when I tried to confirm my reservation. The attitude she had, the nasty tone and her overall unwillingness to be helpful was overwhelming. I was so concerned by her attitude that I actually called back to speak to someone else to ensure that she didn't cancel my reservation. I sincerely hope that this interaction is no indication of my future stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
CavalierInn, Guest Relations Manager at Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear D R in New York

I apologize for the service through the phone call made, we have a way of pulling call records and listen to call to ensure proper customer service is given to all our guests, I assure you that the appropriate action will be taken, this is not indicative of the type of service that we give to our guests. Thank you for letting us know
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

We've been coming here for years as it has suited our needs well. There can be some noise from the traffic as it's on a busy intersection, but rarely has this caused us problems. Breakfast options have been improved, although the coffee is lacking. WiFi service is excellent (10 Mbps up/down at times).The staff have always been helpful and accommodating.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Hello Montreal,

Beautiful city you have, thank you for taking the time to write about your stay we appreciate all comments and suggestions that our guest give to us so that we can learn what we are doing right and where we can improve, We hope to have you stay with us on your next trip to Charlottesville, We wish you the best of luck in your future travels.
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

As I mentioned the location of this property is excellent but from there an average rating is about as good as it gets. The front desk staff were friendly and check in was efficient. The rooms were definitely a bit outdated. They advertise 150 channels on an HD screen but that wasn't close to accurate. The TV reception was poor for an HD television and there certainly weren't close to 150 channels. If you have any back problems what so ever don't sleep here. After waking up and looking forward to a good shower we ended up with a shower that didn't work properly and a shower curtain that was a foot short on both side allowing water to go everywhere. Breakfast was good and the service there was excellent.

The most disappointing part of our stay was that the manager really didn't seem to car about the problems with our shower and lets face it, the only reason you stay at a hotel is for a good sleep and shower. Her only response was "we will check it out". Seriously, what good did that do us? Some sort of credit would have been the proper response so at least we might try them again. It looks like we won't.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
CavalierInn, General Manager at Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Hello SD K from Chapel Hill,

I sincerely apologize for my staff's short coming's of failing to meet your needs and expectations and to properly respond to your request. I am truly grateful that you let us know about your stay so that we can make sure that this does not happen again, if you would give us another chance I will personally make sure that your stay will meet 100% of your satisfaction.
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

Not only did they let a loud birthday party run until 11:30pm, but then did nothing about the departing guests hanging around the entrance and being loud there. There is no sound proofing at all. And if you need to run the A/C or heat fan that is loud enough to wake anyone who did manage to fall asleep.
The eggs at the breakfast buffet were possibly the worst institutional scrambled eggs I have ever tasted.
It is convenient to campus, but I don't have anything else to recommend.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Lauren B from London,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay, I apologize that we failed to meet your expectations, Being a select service hotel we do have banquet and meeting events from time to time that are up until 11pm and usually takes about 30 mins for people to leave, I do apologize if the noise level was above your comfort level, we do have on site security and managers if notified they will take the necessary actions to ensure that guests leaving an event function do so in a calm quiet manner. the eggs on our breakfast buffet are shipped from a local vendor so they are not institutional eggs, but we will look at other options. Thank you again for taking the time out to me know about your stay. Best of luck in your future travels.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

When I booked the staff was very rude and questioned the quote I was given on a previous call. The heat worked but the AC didn't and it got very hot. Every time I shut the door to the room the entire window shook loudly. The shower and sink drains were clogged up. The sink was crooked and looked like it might fall off of the wall. The walls were thin and you could hear everything that happened in the next room and outside of the door. There was hair on the shower wall.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Jansley0001 from VA Beach, VA.

I appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your stay, I apologize if we failed to meet your expectations of our hotel, we take all of the comments and suggestions we receive seriously from our guests, they let us know what we are doing right what we can improve on or change to make all of our guests experience with us a great one, The corrections you mentioned have been taken care of and again I sincerely appreciate you letting us know. We wish you the very best in your future travels.

Been to Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia? Share your experiences!