“Great bang for the Buck!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia

You added Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia to your Saves list
Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   105 N. Emmet St, Charlottesville, VA 22903   |
Ranked #24 of 33 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Virginia
“Great bang for the Buck!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

My husband had an appointment at UVA so we recently spent the night at The Cavalier Inn. This hotel is conveniently located to the campus, shops, and restaurants. We arrived early but check-in was not a problem. Everyone was friendly and helpful. Our room was comfortable, and very clean. It came with a refrigerator and microwave, which was a nice touch. An impressive and free breakfast was included. We did not use this service, but apparently they provide transportation as well. While not fancy, all our needs were met, and the rate was very reasonable. We would not hesitate to stay again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
CavalierInn, Manager at Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Hello G501

We hope all went with your appointment at UVA, we appreciate you taking time out to let us know about your stay, we look forward to you retuning to Charlottesville soon maybe enjoy the mountains, Monticello, or some of the wineries in the area with no appointments to have to go to and just have time relax and take in the beautiful serene mountains.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Pittsburgh PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Cavalier Inn this past weekend. The rooms are comfortable and nicely appointed. If you stay on the front side you have a view of the University and is somewhat quieter due to the glass enclosed balconies. Breakfast is served daily and includes eggs and waffles meat and pastries. If you are going to a game at the University or visiting the grounds the Cavalier Inn and the Budget Inn across the street have the best locations.

Room Tip: Front side nearest to the intersection is quieter.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
CavalierInn, General Manager at Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Hello JKW Pittsburgh PA

Thank you for choosing to stay with us, we thank you for writing a review and we are sincerely appreciate the kind words, we have changed and added many new items on our full hot American breakfast buffet bar, We hope you will stay with us again, Budget Inn is close by but we have a lot of amenities they don't, like our hot dull service breakfast bar, fitness center, business center, pool, shuttle service and a car rental agency in the lobby. We wish you the best in your future travels.
Athens, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here just one night prior to spending the following day at Monticello. I had booked through Hotels.com and apparently there had been a problem-the dates were not correct. Luckily I did have a confirmation number and the clerk was able to quickly correct it and we got into our room very fast. Cute, cute room. Very up-to-date décor with a little boutique touches. Room was very clean, beds were comfortable, fridge & microwave, plenty of power outlets, quiet, complimentary breakfast, reasonable price, friendly/helpful staff, and conveniently located. What more could you ask? I'm a little puzzled about some of the negative reviews! We loved this little hotel!

Room Tip: Our room was #510 and faced a University athletic field. So cool that we got to have a little bird...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Hello Athens GA

What a pleasure to read your review about your stay with us and thank you for the generous compliments you gave, we value and appreciate your business and hope to have you stay with us again in the near future. We wish you the very best and safe travels.
Haysi, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

We stayed at this property recently for a show at JPJ, and it was a very short walk for us. Property was reasonably clean, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay again. I was somewhat hesitant due to previous reviews but was pleasantly pleased. It is a little older, but has been "made-over". It's tastefully decorated, new tv (we didn't even turn it on) It does take a bit for the room to get warm if you've come in late. It was a great accommodation for price.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
CavalierInn, General Manager at Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Hi there Laura D Thank you so much for your comments about your recent stay. We do appreciate your business and hope you come stay with us again. Our guest comments are very important to us and helps us know how to better serve you. We do look forward to having you as our guest in the future. Thank you
Teddington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I guess we might have been lucky but I expect the poor reviews are from those who were simply unlucky, this is a university owned and run hotel - I expect students and families get discounts. It's a good value hotel but could be so much better with a little (more) investment. On the plus side - Our booking was inexpensive, much less than the alternative hotels and I guess better value, room was clean and tidy and the staff were helpful and polite. The sheets were of a particularly high quality. The breakfast though was mediocre. On the bad side, the walkway access to our room was flooded due to the bad weather / lack of drainage and the aircon didn't function. To be fair, neither of these affected the quality of the room or our sleep and I'd recommend it to others.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
CavalierInn, Manager at Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Hi there Teddington Swamp thank you so much for taking time and commenting on your recent stay at our hotel. However I do apologize for the nasty weather that you experienced on your visit to Charlottesville If ever you do return maybe you can enjoy some of the beautiful weather and a trip to visit the beautiful mountains here and have a more enjoyable visit. Thank you so very much and I am glad you had an enjoyable sleep.
San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

This place is close to the university, easily within walking distance. The place is a bit tired. I had some trouble sleeping, as I could not get the air conditioner to work. Had to stand on the bed to get to the non-working controls. I did tell the front desk that I was having troubles, and he said the controls were adjusted there. Even after he adjusted something, it didn't work right. A nice breakfast was included. Everything else was ok.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Hi Susan thank you taking the time and giving us your feed back on your recent stay we are however installing new thermostats in the rooms. I do apologize for the heater not working properly. However I am glad you enjoyed the breakfast we have recently upgraded that as well and hope you give us a call on your next visit to Charlottesville to insure your satisfaction when you return. Have a wonderful day!
Providence
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

I booked the Cavalier during a recent visit to my grand-children. I assumed that given the Inn's connection with UVA, the accommodations would be adequate. How wrong I was! After an impossibly long day of travel that began at 2 am, I was awakened at 11pm by a party of what sounded like loud, drunken students in the room next door. Things went from bad to worse, as the occupants of the room on the other side arrived home at around 1 am. They also sounded like they'd been drinking heavily and proceeded to shout, laugh, party and sing loudly, with no consideration for others. After trying unsuccessfully to knock on the wall, I called the front desk for assistance, and requested that a security guard be sent up. That never happened. After repeat calls over the next hour, the front desk person finally came upstairs and asked the room, which was clearly overflowing with people, to quiet down. He promptly left and the noise resumed right away. There was never any follow up, nor any presence from security. The raucous behavior continued on through the night and I had a sleepless night, virtually ruining my brief visit to Charlottesville. I read trip advisor reviews while I was tossing and turning that night, and was quite shocked to come across multiple poor reviews, which management had read and replied to online .... But clearly not acted on. I cannot believe such an august university would allow its name to be connected with a disgraceful hotel like this? Why are obvious college-age students allowed to stay at this place and disrupt the visits of of others?

• Stayed October 2013
CavalierInn, General Manager at Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay, I apologize that we failed to meet with your expectations. We wish you the best in your future travels.

Been to Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia? Share your experiences!