“Great for football players - not so much for the rest of us” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia

You added Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia to your Saves list
Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   105 N. Emmet St, Charlottesville, VA 22903   |
Ranked #24 of 33 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Bent mountain, VA
“Great for football players - not so much for the rest of us”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Signage is very poor. Not obvious at all, how to get into the parking lot. The room was fine. Very nice bed linens. Very clean. Very nice beds Almost inadequate shower flow. Internet service was a joke. It was incredibly slow. Very quiet AC, but you can't adjust it. No AC in the 5th floor lobby, though. When you get out of the elevator on the 5th floor, it was like entering a blast furnace. Don't go swimming! There is algae growing all over the walls. At first, I thought it was great, that the water was not overly chlorinated until I noticed all the algae. There was an empty gatorade bottle in one of the water intake things. There were no clean, dry pool towels, despite being assured by the front desk clerk that there were pool towels available. There were football players hanging out over the balconies overlooking the pool, which made me very uncomfortable. (I was alone in the pool). Breakfast was horrible!!! The biscuits were as hard as hockey pucks. The sausage gravy was awful. One orange juice spigot dispensed orange colored water. There were no tongs at the pastry station. It grossed me out thinking about how many hands might have touched those pastries. The dining area is not handicapped accessible. There was no breakfast hostess. There were more staff eating breakfast than guests. The morning front desk clerk couldn't have cared less about being there. You have to ask for the safe fee to be removed from your bill. Upon arrival I was thinking about staying a second night, but after the pool ,the breakfast, horrible internet, and all the football players, I stayed only one night.

Room Tip: If you aren't going to use the room safe, try to remember up front to tell them not to charge yo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
CavalierInn, General Manager at Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Hello

thank you for taking the time to leave comments about our hotel, we take all comments and suggestions seriously, it is disappointing to see that your stay did not meet with your standards, we try many different brands of products on our breakfast bar, and clearly the biscuits and sausage gravy was not to your liking, hopefully you tried the waffle machines, or the fresh fruit or one the various types of yogurt or cottage cheese that we offer, as far as the staff I am sorry we did not perform to your satisfaction, I viewed our video's during every day for breakfast, I did not see staff eating, but I did see some getting coffee, and we will change our policy for staff getting coffee, thank you for letting us know. We do have groups staying in our hotel often, not always football players. Again I apologize for the experience it is not how we operate our hotel, We wish you the best in your future

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I cannot yet speak to the rooms, but I can speak to the customer service at this property. It's the COMPLETE PITS. I have a reservation -- that is already paid for in full -- for a 7 night stay beginning Saturday 7/27 and running through Saturday 8/3. I called from where I live (Las Vegas, NV) to inquire about a shuttle service from the airport -- I was put on hold with loud, horrible music without being asked by anyone if I was okay with holding. After a good 5 minutes, I hung up. When I called back, the person I spoke to was rude and needs to learn how to speak English clearly and properly. She couldn't be bothered to ask me when my flight arrived at the Charlottesville Airport -- it doesn't arrive until 9:30PM. She told me to call when I got there. And I said, fine, I will call at 9:30PM when my flight arrives. Then, in a voice that was completely garbled, she said their shuttle stops at 3:00PM. Considering I've already paid well close to $800.00 for my stay, I find their customer service to be seriously lacking -- and I haven't even been at the property yet.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Hello

Thank you for leaving your comments, We are disappointed to see that you were not happy with your stay, while we do have new staff training, what you experienced is not indicative of the type of service we give. We wish you the best in your future travels.
Roanoke, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

This is not a 4- star hotel but we did not pay for a 4-star hotel either. The rooms were pleasantly decorated and kept cool on a 95 degree Virginia day. Our breakfast had a good selection but no napkins. The bathroom was very small but adequate. It was great to have a little refrigerator in the room and the beds were comfortable (one higher than the other) but they both provided a good sleep. We were very concerned that the room would be noisy with a boy's baseball team in residence but it was pleasantly quiet. Our only suggestion was that management provide some information on channels for the TV. It would save a lot of time"surfing". All in all, we got our money's worth and given that we were in a college town, it could be a lot worse!

Room Tip: Deli next door is pretty good,
Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Hello

Thank you for your comments we appreciate you taking the time to do so, I do apologize for the channel selection listing, we just changed our cable package and apparently the housekeeper did not put in the temporary one, thank you for letting us know so we can stay on top of that. We wish you the best in your future travels and hope to see you again on your next trip to Charlottesville.
hampton, virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I stayed at the Cavalier Inn in the past and did not give them a very good rating, But I spoke with the General Manager Michael Moran recently about my complaints and I regret that I did not do that initially. He was very patient, kind and willing to correct the problem. The management definitely cares about it's guests. The place was packed with UVA parents so obviously they are doing a good job! No place is perfect but the fact that he listened and addressed the problem speaks volumes! As my daughter transitions to UVA I plan to visit quite a bit, it is nice to know that I have a place to stay where the staff trully care!
Thanks Mr. Moran, see you soon.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
CavalierInn, General Manager at Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Hello

I am very glad that you came back to us and let us show you how our service is to our guests, we value and appreciate your business and very much look forward to seeing you again and we are grateful that you did give us a second chance.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We were satisfied with our stay here. It was conveniently located. We were able to enjoy a nice walk to the restaurant area and enjoy the lovely buildings and grounds of the university. The staff were courteous and efficient. One side of the building had a glass enclosure on the hallway balconies. The other side has open balconies along the outer hallway. Not that you spend much time there but I found the open side more pleasant.

Breakfast was ok but could have been replenished a bit faster. I had no real issues with this hotel. I would stay again. We were there during orientation week and we had no problems with the students.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello

Thank you for rating our hotel and leaving your comments, I am glad you were satisfied with your stay, we hope to see you on your next trip to Charlottesville.
Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I wish my husband would have checked the reviews before booking this hotel. Knowing the we'd be gone most of the day into the evening I figured no big deal ,we are only sleeping there! We got in late in the evening after a long drive only to have a bachelor party going on in the room next to ours the kept us up until early morning. After touring all day and dinner we returned to our room only to find that it was not cleaned yet at 8:00 p.m.! We ended up sitting in the lobby to wait for our room to be cleaned. The college kids can have this place! Next time were in the area we'll stay at the Hilton!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hello

thank you for taking the time to leave a comment I am sorry you were kept up late, we do have security 24 hours a day one phone call to the desk would have stopped any noise, I am sorry our housekeeping did not get to your room until late and they were shorthanded and sometimes making sure they clean rooms right it takes them a little longer. Best of luck on your future travels.
Layton, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Right next to the University, everything on campus was within walking distance. My daughter swam in the pool and had a great time. Their breakfast buffet was good - but they need more than one waffle maker. The line for waffles was pretty long that day, and school was not even in session.

Room Tip: Face away from the street, the traffic can get noisy.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
CavalierInn, General Manager at Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us, we appreciate your business, we are happy to see that we met with your expectations, we have already ordered a 2nd waffle iron they were on back order for like 8 weeks, but our will be here soon, thank you for taking the time to write a review we appreciate it. We hope to see you again on your next trip to Charlottesville

Been to Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia? Share your experiences!