This is an older hotel that's been updated nicely; however, the deceptive fees they place on their invoices that they do their best to not show you before you leave takes the inn down a few notches. I thought it was unusual that no invoice was left at my door or even handed to me when I checked out, so I asked for a copy. There was a $2 "safe fee" on the bill. When I asked why it was in there, they asked if I used the safe and when I told them that I did not, they took it off the invoice. I don't know why the inn would automatically charge fees under the assumption that an item in the room was going to be used. This is clearly a deceptive business practice meant to charge every guest a few dollars extra, assuming they won't catch it unless they explicitly ask for an invoice. Respectable hotels don't engage in such shady nonsense.
The room was clean, though the light fixture in the bathroom was rusty and the ice bucket had some dirt in it.
Their "deluxe warm breakfast" consists of a do it yourself waffle machine. There is also cereal and pastries, which they don't seem to restock.
They require all guests to place parking passes in their cars, even if it's a quiet weekend when no one would have any reason to park in their lot.
The cleaning crew continuously knocked in our door, even after we told them to go away, until we put the do not disturb sign out.
Overall, the disappointments accumulated as my stay went on. I wouldn't stay there again unless there were no other alternatives.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located directly on the campus of the University of Virginia,just a couple of blocks away from the Admissions Office, Alumni Office and the UVA Bookstore, the hotel is centrally located near historic attractions, the Cavalier Inn provides comfortable accommodations and easy access to the University of Virginia, Thomas Jefferson's architectural masterpiece, the world-famous Rotunda of the University of Virginia, Monticello, Michie Tavern, Ash Lawn-Highland, and the Charlottesville and Richmond International Airports. Guests will also find numerous recreational activities within a short distance. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TravelClick, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cavalier Inn At The University Of Virginia Hotel Charlottesville
- Cavalier Hotel Charlottesville
- The Cavalier Hotel