“Hidden Gem in Charlottesville” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added The English Inn to your Saves list
The English Inn
2000 Morton Drive, Charlottesville, VA 22903   |
Ranked #9 of 33 hotels in Charlottesvill...
“Hidden Gem in Charlottesville”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This hotel doesn't come up on all searches, probably because it isn't part of the national chains, but for the buck, it offers the best deal in C-Ville. Charming hotel tucked back behind Bodo's Bagels just off of I-64, and 2 min from UVA campus is The English Inn it is always clean, nice staff, not a lot of amenities, but a free breakfast buffet in the morning. They don't allow alcoholic beverages in any public areas, so if you are planning a pre or post game tailgate, do it by the stadiums.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

533 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

The location is perfect, close to lots of shopping, UVA & Monticello. I love the pool & the breakfast is better than your typical donuts & pastries - especially nice for a vegan: oatmeal & fresh fruit! But the reason we keep coming back is the great service & ease with which Kathy B makes any changes to reservations that we have. She's been professional, friendly & always a pleasure to do business with! This is the only hotel we stay at on our frequent trips to Charlottesville. CONS: The Inn could do with a bit of updating. Rooms are clean, tidy and never had a problem, but the lobby & bfast room are a bit dark.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

We loved this hotel! The lobby was one of the best ones we've ever encountered---a bit of Olde England in VA! Dark paneling, soft lights, comfortable and lush furniture, fire burning in the fireplace and afternoon tea with cookies. The rooms were standard motel rooms, but very comfortable and well maintained. The staff were helpful and we enjoyed the quiet location. It was an easy drive to Monticello and into the historic town. There are many shops and restaurants nearby so it was a very convenient location.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I spent only one night at The English Inn, but will rerun again. Rooms are standard size. They are very clean and the staff are extremely friendly & helpful. Restauants are within walking distance. A nice place to stay while in Charlottesville.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Pittsburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

PROS: Great Location, Large Pool, very nice breakfast, and afternoon tea nice touch.

CONS: Hotel is looking run down and the bathroom was dirty.

I know that updating costs money and that means higher rates but I'd rather pay a little more to get a cleaner hotel and something more updated.

Mom and I travel together and she said she'd stay again but if it was just me I might consider somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Having never visited the Charlottesville area, I searched TA for ratings and recommendations. This place was highly rated and reasonably priced, always a good combination, so I took a chance and booked our stay. We were not disappointed (except for one significant issue that I'll explain). The hotel is conveniently located. It is nicely decorated and themed in the Tudor style, though the rooms themselves do not include any theming. Check in was very friendly and quick.

The room was spacious, comfortable, and well equipped. My wife and I used the bedroom and our daughter got the sofa bed. It is a little awkward because you can't really open the door once the sofa bed is set up so be aware of that.

Breakfast was nice, pretty standard for a hotel breakfast. Nothing extraordinary but perfectly fine.

The one major issue was the internet access - or lack thereof. They advertise free Wifi. That's kind of true. We were able to detect multiple hotel networks but were unable to actually connect to any of them. We tried on multiple devices - iPhones, iPod, iPad, and a PC laptop. No luck. I went down to the desk to ask about it. As I was approaching the desk, I heard the clerk telling another guest that the network has trouble with Apple devices. Really? I've never heard of that happening and what good is that when nearly everyone has an iPhone/Pod/Pad? I let them know that I also had a non-Apple laptop and that wouldn't connect either. I even borrowed an Ethernet cord from them and couldn't get connected with that either. So we spent 2 days with no access except for 4G on my phone. My daughter was definitely not happy. I really wasn't either as I had work to do and couldn't use my laptop.

Other than that, everything was just fine. We would certainly stay there again if we were in the area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We've stayed here years before and really enjoyed it, but this last time it seemed like a grand ol' lady that was getting out of touch and looking tired. Breakfast area was still great, but food was barely adequate; wallpaper and carpeting looked tired and worn; cleanliness was okay; & service was just okay. A bit disappointing from our last stay.

Room Tip: Not really located in a "walkable" area to restaurants, unless you count a bagel cafe and...