My husband and I planned a last-minute birthday trip to the Charlottesville area, planning to do the Brew Ridge Trail (highly recommended for beer lovers!) Little did we know that we had chosen a weekend when Dave Matthews was in town for three days and all in-town hotels had hiked their rates. We could find nothing under $175, even those reviewed as less-than-splendid on this site. We considered a B&B, but all had two-night minimums and high nightly rates.
The day before we left, we booked the English Inn with some trepidation. At under $100 and based on some of the reviews here, we were prepared for musty odors and flowered aged bedspreads. We experienced nothing of the sort. The hotel was spotless. Bathrooms clean. Water pressure fine, and the white linens you expect in most hotels these days. Our room (113) faced onto the entrance to the hotel -- we were afraid that we'd hear people come and go all night but heard nothing. The bed was comfortable. The carpet was hotel-green, but it didn't bother us. The check-in process was smooth and friendly, and the hotel staff helped us get a cab into downtown to continue our beer travels. The breakfast surpassed the hot free breakfast at any Hampton (our usual choice when traveling but too expensive last night) and cookies and coffee from 4-6 was an added bonus.
Our room had a microwave and refigerator which we didn't use - would have if we'd been there longer. The hotel had a huge pool which would probably benefit families with kids as well.
All in all a really good deal this weekend, if not all. For under $100, it can't be beat!
- Also Known As:
- The English Hotel Charlottesville
- English Hotel Charlottesville
- The English Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 106 well-appointed rooms and suites. Enjoy all the pleasures of a fine Charlottesville hotel blended with the charm of a country inn. You’ll find the heart of the English Inn is our dedication to uncompromising quality and exemplary personal service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity and Fareportal so you can book your The English Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.