“Clean, Roomy, Convenient” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   990 Hilton Heights Road, Charlottesville, VA 22901   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
New Year's Eve Package
Ranked #16 of 33 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Sharon, MA
“Clean, Roomy, Convenient”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Spent a night here as a base for a quick visit to Monticello on the way to Shenandoah NP. After a long drive, we really couldn't have asked for anything better.

The Good:
-- Comfortable beds
-- Clean and updated bathroom
-- Lots of space
-- Cool pool

The not-so-good:
-- Elevators were really hot and slow
-- Person at check-in was like a robot. Ran through the check-in routine without smiling and barely letting me ask a question. Not rude but not really pleasant either
-- Would be nicer if the rooms with two beds were queens rather than full-sized (OK, that's a bit of a nit-pik)

Overall, this was a convenient and comfortable place to stay for a night in Charlottesville. We'd stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Charlottesville, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Roadtrip38,
I am pleased that you were able to stay with us for your recent trip to Monticello. I am pleased that our guest rooms helped to make your stay comfortable and that you got a chance to enjoy the pool. Please know that we are working to install a brand new air conditioning unit for the elevators so they should be as crisp and refreshing as our guest rooms. Thank you for your comments about the service you experienced, we will use your note as a training opportunity. We look forward to welcoming you back and exceeding your expectations.
Portfolio Reputation Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

The following is a letter I sent to management. No response to date.

Dear Management,
I want to file a formal complaint about my stay at Doubletree in Charlottesville VA on
6/27/13. When we entered the hallway of the 2nd floor, it smelled like cigarette smoke. The smell continued as we got closer to our room which was a non-smoking room(#216). As we opened the door it was obvious the room had been used by smokers in the past. It was awful. Members of my family are highly allergic to smoke and certainly should not be in a room like 216. My husband went down to speak with guest services to get us moved to a different room. The young lady was not very helpful. She said there was no room to give us and we could go out until about 9 pm and they would spray the room. That solution was not acceptable for 2 reasons: we had traveled many miles from KY and needed to get to bed early for an appointment the following morning and spraying only masks the problem- i.e.- doesn't help allergies! As a result we went to the room and prayed the children would be ok. It was a miserable night for many reasons! Below I will list the other problems with this particular Doubletree hotel:

-leaking faucet in the tub
-no drain plug to use for a bath, only choice- a shower
-called twice for towels
-extremely loud in our hallway and the one above
-coffee maker was moldy
-smoke alarm went off each time the shower was used and the bathroom door was opened
-guest service personnel were less than pleasant and certainly gave minimal assistance
-rooms and halls were very dated- this is a cosmetic problem but first impressions are important

I will certainly never stay at this location again. I actually will hesitate with Doubletree Hotels when I travel in the future. I truly thought the Hilton corporation had higher standards.

I would like a refund from my stay on 6/27/13.

• Stayed June 2013
Paige PT,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about the hotel. We pride ourselves on a high level of service and rely on our guests to help us improve. We pay close attention to all guest reviews and use your feedback to monitor and improve the quality and service we provide to our guests.

In the event that a guest has smoked in a room it is cleaned extensively, not just deodorized. I too am highly sensitive and appreciate how uncomfortable you must have been.

Please accept my sincere apology that the items you addressed about your room were not taken care of promptly during your visit. I would like an opportunity to speak with you directly about your reservation. We look forward to a chance to welcome you back and provide the relaxing and pleasant experience that you should expect from the Doubletree.

Granger, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

24 hr shuttle. If you dont have a car then this hotel is a good option. Shuttle runs on the 1/2 hr however so be prepared for that. The 5 AM shuttle actually runs at 5:15 to accomodate some pilots, so if 5:15 is too late for you then you will have to catch the 4:30.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Richard,
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Our goal is to provide superior service and accommodations to each and every guest that stays with us. All of the staff takes great pride in knowing that their hard work and dedication is making a difference to our guests. I am pleased that the shuttle helped to make your stay more convenient and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Winchester, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

My fiancee and I stayed here July 12-13, 2013 for her birthday weekend and couldn't have asked for a better experience. Everything from check-in to check-out was fantastic. I used their Amenity Request Form to have one dozen roses delivered to our room for her, along with some additional instructions and they handled my request perfectly. The room was modern and up-to-date, clean, quiet and the beds were very comfortable. The gym adjoins the pool on the 1st floor but was heavily used, so we ran outside. The hotel is about 20 minutes away from historic downtown and close to many shops (Starbucks is 2 miles away).

Customer service was outstanding and we couldn't have been happier. Would gladly stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Jeff,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about the hotel. I am pleased that you were able to join us for your celebratory weekend. We strive to provide the best possible service and guest experiences every day, and it’s always great to hear from our guests on how we’re doing. Congratulations on your engagement. If we can help at all with planning your special day please do not hesitate to let us know. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

Room temp 82 upon arrival at 5pm. Thermostat set to 67. Called front desk. Engineering came up. Tinkered. Room temp at 11pm 80 Room temp at 3am 76. Diarrhea splatter on underside of toilet seat. Bright light around hallway door all night like being in a SciFi movie. This was all on the executive floor. No bill provided under door for in room checkout. Had to wait in line for 5 minutes to check out at front desk at 6am. Not a good experience for a weekly Hilton customer.

• Stayed July 2013
Canadian808,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us regarding your most recent stay. We truly value your input and very much rely on you, our guest, to help us improve our hotel operation. I would like to truly apologize for the issues you had during your stay. As a loyal Hilton Honors guest you know the level of service and the quality that you should expect when traveling with us. We strive to exceed the expectations of every guest who stays with us, and regretfully in your case, we failed to meet that criteria. Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated. Please know that we will use your comments to make improvements to the quality and service that we are providing. Please reach out to me with any additional feedback or for help with future reservations. I look forward to welcoming you back and providing the experience that you should expect.
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

This was our first stay at the Doubletree in Charlottesville. We were coming for our youngest son's wedding, and had reserved 5 rooms. My husband and I arrived on July 4th, then another two rooms arrived on the 5th, and the final two rooms arrived on the 6th. While the hotel is very clean, we were so disappointed that the rooms for the wedding guests were not ready at 3:00pm as promised. This happened on both July 5th and 6th. This made for quite a lot of scrambling as we were trying to get the groom ready, along with the 15 other wedding guests. When we asked the manager on duty what was the hold up, he replied there were several late check outs on the 6th. While I understand that to be a valid reason, it did not ease the tension this "mother of the groom" was feeling. After some discussion he decided to call in "reinforcements", more housekeepers, to get the rooms ready. I just didn't understand why that was not done in the first place.
The breakfast buffet is passable. We noticed the buffet was not stocked regularly, and once again had to ask that more food be put out. There is also an unusual smell coming from the restaurant - almost like garlic bread burning. I am not sure if that was the omelet station, but the smell was most unappetizing, especially first thing in the morning.
It is a clean hotel, but other than that I would not recommend it.

Room Tip: Insist that you be given a room that is clean and ready at the time promised.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
wearymom3,
Firstly, Congratulations on the expansion of your family! I am pleased that you were able to join us for such a special occasion. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about the hotel. We pride ourselves on impeccable service and very much rely on our guests' feedback to continue improving.
I regret that the delay in your rooms being ready and the quality of the breakfast buffet were a setback, but I trust you enjoyed your visit overall.
Should you have any additional feedback please feel free to reach out to me directly so I can assist you. I certainly hope that we have an opportunity to welcome you back again soon.
Annapolis, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I’ve been staying at the Doubletree for quite some time whenever I visit Charlottesville, and it never disappoints. From the cookies presented upon check-in to cleanliness and other amenities, Doubletree aims to please.

The hotel features a friendly and efficient staff (great check-in/out experience), free Wi-fi, great housekeeping, a fitness center, pool and business center. When not eating at one of the local restaurants, I’ve enjoyed all my meals at TJ’s Tavern, the hotel restaurant. Unless you head into the dining room, it’s casual fare at the bar/tavern area, but they also keep several local craft beers (from Starr Hill) on tap.

The breakfast buffet is an exercise in artery clogging, with an endless feast of omelets, pancakes, and all the pork products you can imagine. I seldom take advantage of this, not because of the quality, which is very good, but because it won’t help me shed any pounds.

I’ll keep coming back here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
John,
On behalf of our entire staff, thank you so much for your kind review. We certainly do strive to provide all of our guests with the level of service that you described you received during your stay and I will certainly make sure I acknowledge the entire staff for their efforts. We try to make everyone’s visit a “Home away from Home” by providing the best comfort, the friendliest service and the best of amenities. I am pleased that the free wireless internet, Doubletree cookies, and craft beer options help to make your visits more enjoyable. Please let us know if there is something at breakfast that would be better for you, there is typically oatmeal. Although if you are anything like me, delicious, crispy bacon only has to be within reach for me to eat as much of it as I can. Thank you for your continuing loyalty we look forward to welcoming you back many more times in the future.
Portfolio Reputation Manager

Been to Doubletree by Hilton Charlottesville? Share your experiences!