“Good Stay” 3 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   990 Hilton Heights Road, Charlottesville, VA 22901   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
New Year's Eve Package
Ranked #16 of 33 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Good Stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2008

The stay at the Doubletree was fine, it is located on the North end of 29 by the Wal Mart/Sams Club.

There are really no restuarants around except at the hotel (okay) to across the street Rhetts Seafood Restaurant.

The rooms are quite decent, newly renovated, the front desk staff were delightful, the outdoor pool is closed forever they only have the indoor pool/whirlpool open now.

They do have airport shuttle service, so it is worth it to park your car there and take the shuttle.

• Liked — Quiet
  • Disliked — Okay Restuarant
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Louisville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2008

I stayed at the Doubletree with my husband and 5-yr old daughter on a recent Friday night. The room was large and clean; beds were comfortable. The furnishings were somewhat dated, though, with plenty of nicks and dings. My only significant complaint was that the indoor pool area was really cold. The pool itself was heated to an appropriate temp, but the air temp made for a chilly, unpleasant experience.

Overall, my stay was worth what I paid on priceline, but I wouldn't stay at this hotel for the full, advertised price.

Stayed January 2008
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2008

I have stayed in this hotel twice. The first time was on business, and then once for a personal trip. I was able to get a great price on priceline, and I was very happy to stay here again. The place looks very nice, and the rooms are large and very cozy. The bed and sheets are very comfortable to sleep in. I found the hotel to be very quiet both times I stayed there. The only complaint I have is that the parking lot gets full easily and both times I stayed there I had to walk futher than I wanted to with all my stuff. I would be happy to stay here again. This is one of the coziest hotels I have stayed in.

• Liked — Nice and comfy
  • Disliked — Parking lot
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville, Fl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2007

We stayed at this hotel on Thanksgiving day. We had missed our dinner reservations that day, so we were pretty bummed out. So we headed to our hotel. They were able to supply us with a Thanksgiving meal sent to our room. This really helped to salvage the day.

The room was clean and comfortable. The bed was soft and we had a great nights sleep.

Oh, my husband loved the warm welcome cookie ... he even asked for seconds!

• Liked — The lovely Thanksgiving meal
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2007

I was quite pleased with the value I received at this hotel -- $60 on priceline for an October Saturday. As you can tell from the reviews, the hotel is in the middle of a room renovation (they have a sign in the lobby about it). I asked for a renovated room and got one. While some of the fixtures seem quite old (the ac unit looks like it predates the hotel!), the new beds/linens/furniture are quite decent. Public rooms of the hotel are excellent, and the indoor pool is good. If you can get a renovated room at this price, you're simply not going to get better value in Charlottesville.

My only real beef is that -- like many hotels -- they're putting 2 twin beds in the renovated rooms. When will hoteliers wake up and realize that 2 queens are what America needs? So even if you have 2 beds, you can only really sleep 2 people comfortably. My wife and I were travelling with our young daughter, and we were 1 person too many for a truly comfortable night's sleep!

Stayed October 2007
Lancaster, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2007

As another reviewer mentioned, this was a weird mixture of old and new -- like they had a budget for renovations that was way under what was needed. Our room was supposed to have been one of the renovated rooms. It had an extremely old bathroom with problems and the couch was old and a totally different color scheme than the new curtains/bedspread/carpet. Our "sweet dreams" bed had a new bedspread and nice pillows, etc., but was obviously an old mattress.

Bathroom was pretty bad - moldy and missing grout, old showerhead. Some rusty fixtures. View from our room is beautiful, with nice big window. The lobby is gorgeous, too. High speed wireless internet is very strong (excellent signal) and free. There's also a nice business center with two computers.

So would I stay here again? We're on a sightseeing long weekend, focusing on the beautiful fall weather -- so it was OK because we only paid $60 through Priceline. I sure wouldn't want to pay high price, or be here on a special occasion.

Coffee in the lobby in the morning - very good, too!

• Liked — high speed internet - free, strong, wireless. Coffee in the nice lobby. Available through priceline.
  • Disliked — bathroom was in need of renovation
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2007

We recently stayed at the Doubletree in Charlottesville and truly enjoyed it. The room was on the top floor with a spectacular view. We woke up to a sunny morning with hot air balloons hovering overhead. It was a perfect setting.

Even though it was a Saturday night and a football weekend, the hotel was quiet and friendly. There were several events occuring but they didn't interfere with the hotel guests.

Everyone was friendly and accommodating. The housekeepers were there when we needed extra items and the cookies at check-in was still a welcome treat.

We'd certainly stay here again, a very delightful stop.

• Liked — The view!
  • Disliked — Pool and pool area could have been kept up nicer.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Doubletree by Hilton Charlottesville? Share your experiences!