“Nice hotel but hard to get into & restaurant lame” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Charlottesville - University Area

You added Holiday Inn Charlottesville - University Area to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Charlottesville - University Area
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1901 Emmet St, Route 29 South, Charlottesville, VA 22901   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #21 of 33 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Lewistown, Pennsylvania
“Nice hotel but hard to get into & restaurant lame”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I took the family to visit relatives and we stayed here. It was a great deal for a nice room. The hotel was clean and the room was a good size with a large window. We have a very hard time getting in and out of the hotel parking lot because it's located on a very busy street. There is an alternate exit out but we didn't learn about that until we were leaving. Some of the hotel staff was helpful but many, when we asked about what to do and see, only said Monticello. I was not up for taking my 3 kids there but they were not able to give me many other suggestions. The restaurant only partially functions most of the time. It appeared to be closed often. Breakfast was nice though.

Room Tip: Do your own digging for other activities in the area. Use TripAdvisor! It's way better than many...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Charlottesville - University Area, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Dear Sean J,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our rooms and cleanliness.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding parking arrangement and the restaurant. We will look into this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

This place was OK, we had a room with two beds and when I sat down on the corner of one I almost landed on the floor. Something in the frame was broken and while it didn't affect our sleep it certainly made the bed unusable as a seat or place to pack your suitcase.
We never made it to the pool. We checked in late after enjoying the drive from Mount Vernon. If you are in this area to see the presidential estates it's worth your time to check out the Civil War battlefields of Manassas/Bull Run, Chancelorsville, Fredericksburg. They are close and not to far out of the way.
Our room was clean, maybe not as clean as home but we were in and out quickly. Like I said above we arrived late after touring several Civil War battlefields and checked out early so we could go to Spudnuts and Monticello. If you're not familiar with Spudnuts you need to google it and go there early. No breakfast provided by the Holiday Inn but the best blueberry donuts I've ever eaten at Spudnuts.
I would stay at this hotel again but would be easily swayed to try something else. I think the price was OK and probably the only selling point.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Charlottesville - University Area, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Dear John C,

Thank you for your recent stay at our hotel and for sparing your very valuable time to submit a detailed feedback of your experience during your stay with us.

We are saddened to hear of your encounters in our hotel and would like to extend our sincere apologies for the inconvenience and dissatisfaction the quality of the beds has caused you. We regret that your experience with us was not ideal and we are sorry for the lapse in service during your stay.

It is only through valuable feedback we receive from our valued customers that we would be in a position to know where we go wrong and rectify the circumstances or incidents, in order to ensure that we do not repeat the same in the future. Once again, thank you for your comments.

Dhan M
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Stayed two nights and everything was fine. Rooms updated, internet was quick and reliable. All was well. Needed extra coffee and it was brought to our room. Large room and bath. Thank you Holiday Inn! We will be back!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Charlottesville - University Area, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Brutus W,

We thank you for your recent review of our hotel and am pleased to note that you made mention of the room accommodations and amenities. It is comments such as yours that highlights certain areas for us to focus on to become the best hotel in the area and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Zelyn N
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

This place ranks high up on my list of bad places. The room was supposed to ready at a specific time. I kept being told to come back in an hour. Finally after about 3 trips and 4 and a half hours later I finally got to check into my room. The room door was damaged making entry difficult and the room itself was grungy and beaten up. There was food on the floor ( which housekeeping did get cleaned up); the bathroom was dirty and the tub had grimly grungy filth on the edges which did not get cleaned up for several days despite my complaint and even then, it was not truly clean. The curtains looked so dirty it was hard to tell if it was feces or just general dirt covering them. Plus they didn't close all the way so the blinding parking lot security lights kept me up all night. The particle board furniture looked like someone had wet it and started pulling it apart - it was truly falling apart. Internet was unreliable. I was told that the curtains would be hung back up but that so far as it being dirty, the property may be remodeled so there was nothing they could do about it. It was a relief when my business moved me into Another hotel after a few nights. The physical appearance of my room made it hard to remember the somewhat friendly front desk staff and "remodeled" lobby. Unless there is a complete gutting of this place I will try to avoid it at all costs.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
CCF48, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charlottesville - University Area, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear sjalbertson:

Please allow me this opportunity to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay at our hotel. I appreciate your taking the time to advise us of your dissatisfaction, which is the first step towards improvement of our services.

My team and I are committed in providing our guest with the highest quality services and facilities. I sincerely regret we fell short of our goal in this instance. Our check in is at 3PM and you should not have had to wait for a room. I have had no reports that we have not had rooms not ready for guest by 3PM, most cases we can accommodate guest request for early check-in. Was it a case that you wanted a 9 AM check-in when we were at full occupancy the night before? We also have at least one inspection of all rooms after the room attendant finishes cleaning.

I am truly at a loss on what transpired on your visit. I would like to get more information from you about your stay so I can do a complete inquiry. I would very much appreciate talking with you about the issues you had during your stay.

Sincerely yours,

Charles Friend
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I stayed here while teaching a weekend law school course at the University of Virginia. This particular Holiday Inn is in a good location outside downtown C'ville, with easy access to the Seminole Square shopping area and other shopping and restaurants along Route 29. The property itself was clean, the hotel room comfortable, and the staff pleasant. It wouldn't be my first choice for a moderate-price hotel in or near Charlottesville, but it met all of my needs for an overnight stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Charlottesville - University Area, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Jonathan R,

Orlando A.
salzburg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Hotel was OK, reception staff very friendly and helpful, clean enough, good room size but nothing extrarordinary. Would need some restauration work, e.g. renewing the bathtubs, balkony doors, etc. Located a few miles outside Charlottesville with shops nearby.

In short: insufficient value for the money (we paid $ 130,- per room per night).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Charlottesville - University Area, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear franzsalzburg,

Thank you for providing us with a very considerate review and thank you for staying with us. I appreciate the compliments on the staff and the level of service provided. I am sorry you were not satisfied with the rates that you paid. I assure you that every comment, no matter how small, is taken very seriously. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services

Karen G.
Fairfax, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

My husband and teenage son stayed in this hotel over a weekend this summer. Overall, we found it to be comfortable and clean. All three of us slept well. The desk chair did not adjust, so my husband ended up sitting in the lounge chair at the table instead of at the desk, which was okay but not the purpose of having a desk chair.and desk. (The Business Center does have computers but the area is too noisy to actually do any work, but would be fine for printing boarding passes or checking traffic and weather sites, etc.) The TV was an updated flat-screen, which my son appreciated. If you do not travel with your own shampoo and conditioner, be aware that there was only one teensy bottle of shampoo in the bathroom, and although it was a pleasant Bath and Body Works scent, it would not have been sufficient for three people. The lobby was very pretty, and had the TV on at all hours of the day. This did not bother us in the room, however, since there is a door that separates the lobby from the corridor that leads to the rooms. The bar and restaurant are behind a wall in the lobby. Breakfast was not included in the room price so we did not experience the restaurant area at all, but the bar seemed to have a bit of business during the evenings. They were advertising a happy hour special just outside the entrance to the bar, so perhaps this is why. Coffee and tea were available in the lobby each morning, but not until after 6:30 or so. We had already gone out for coffee, only to return to find it waiting in the lobby. There is a grocery store across the street and a refrigerator in the room, so we could have our orange juice and fruit first thing when we got up. We did not use the pool or other facilities, so I cannot comment on them. We will stay here again in a couple of weeks and are looking forward to it.

Room Tip: The main floor is actually the third floor. First floor is subterranean.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Charlottesville - University Area, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear AZSportyMom,

We welcome feedback especially from our valued guests like you. Please do accept our apologies for not being able to deliver an exemplary hotel experience. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests as your comments are being shared with the hotel's management and appropriate action will be taken. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is. I sincerely hope that the next time you are in Charlottesville you will give our hotel another try.

Karen G.
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Charlottesville - University Area? Share your experiences!