“Comfort and convenience” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Charlottesville - University Area

You added Holiday Inn Charlottesville - University Area to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Charlottesville - University Area
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1901 Emmet St, Route 29 South, Charlottesville, VA 22901   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #21 of 33 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Fairfax, Virginia
“Comfort and convenience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

My husband and teenage son stayed in this hotel over a weekend this summer. Overall, we found it to be comfortable and clean. All three of us slept well. The desk chair did not adjust, so my husband ended up sitting in the lounge chair at the table instead of at the desk, which was okay but not the purpose of having a desk chair.and desk. (The Business Center does have computers but the area is too noisy to actually do any work, but would be fine for printing boarding passes or checking traffic and weather sites, etc.) The TV was an updated flat-screen, which my son appreciated. If you do not travel with your own shampoo and conditioner, be aware that there was only one teensy bottle of shampoo in the bathroom, and although it was a pleasant Bath and Body Works scent, it would not have been sufficient for three people. The lobby was very pretty, and had the TV on at all hours of the day. This did not bother us in the room, however, since there is a door that separates the lobby from the corridor that leads to the rooms. The bar and restaurant are behind a wall in the lobby. Breakfast was not included in the room price so we did not experience the restaurant area at all, but the bar seemed to have a bit of business during the evenings. They were advertising a happy hour special just outside the entrance to the bar, so perhaps this is why. Coffee and tea were available in the lobby each morning, but not until after 6:30 or so. We had already gone out for coffee, only to return to find it waiting in the lobby. There is a grocery store across the street and a refrigerator in the room, so we could have our orange juice and fruit first thing when we got up. We did not use the pool or other facilities, so I cannot comment on them. We will stay here again in a couple of weeks and are looking forward to it.

Room Tip: The main floor is actually the third floor. First floor is subterranean.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Charlottesville - University Area, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear AZSportyMom,

We welcome feedback especially from our valued guests like you. Please do accept our apologies for not being able to deliver an exemplary hotel experience. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests as your comments are being shared with the hotel's management and appropriate action will be taken. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is. I sincerely hope that the next time you are in Charlottesville you will give our hotel another try.

Karen G.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Newport News, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I stayed at this property while my daughter attended an event at UVA. The staff is delightful. The lobby area has been remodeled since I was last there and it looks great. The location is great. The room was quiet and the property appeared to be full.
BUT the room itself cost $160.90 and was in need of renovation. The room had an odor upon entering. Fortunately, the odor was confined to the entry area and did not permeate the entire room. The carpet looked like it needed to be pulled taut. Several pieces of furniture were worn and had seen better days in the past. Fortunately, the bed was very comfortable. The drain was not in the tub. The roll of toilet paper should have been replaced as there was so little on it. Even the placement of the toilet paper holder was bad. Thankfully, there was another roll of toilet paper in the sink area. The room was tired looking.
On one trip from my car, I walked up the stairs to get to the room and could not enter the sixth floor because the handle on the door was missing. I walked up to the seventh floor and took the elevator down a flight. I reported this to the front desk and was told maintenance would take care of it. It would be interesting to know if maintenance actually took care of the missing door handle. This disrepair is a potential safety issue. The indoor swimming pool also looks in need of renovation as the space is a bit dungeon-like. It does not look like the professionaly photo no Tripadvisor. Just painting the area in a lighter color with better lighting would help.
Another parent at the UVA event told me he paid $70 for his room at the nearby Marriott via priceline. I felt like I got taken. My husband made the reservation and my $160 room had a small kitchenette that we did not use. That accounts for part of the price difference and that is on us. Priceline gets a better price given the nature of this business. But when one pays $160 for one night, the room should not look it needs to be gutted and re-done. And you should not have to walk by smokers to enter the hotel lobby. Move the smoking station somewhere else! Either drop the price to reflect the shabbiness & loose the Holiday Inn trademark or renovate the room to the standard of newer properties. We are Intercontinental platinum elite priority club members. When I return to Charlottesville in the future, I’ll be using a different hotel chain.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Charlottesville - University Area, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear TNLilly,

Thank you for being a IHG Rewards Club Platinum member and for leaving us a feedback. We are glad you liked the fine location of our hotel in the area. Please accept our sincerest apology for the issues you had with your room accommodations and any inconvenience the smoking area in front of our lobby may have caused you. We also apologize for the experience you had at the stairs and our indoor swimming pool was less than satisfactory. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and guest services are superior and strive to be the best hotel around. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

Would not recommend this hi. The first room smelled like smoke. They moved us it was better. Meaning the room just did not smell. The pool area unfortunatly had food and ants on the ground. People were smoking outside and kept the outside door propped open so the smoke smell was coming right in. The pool needs to be redone, paint was chipping off the bottom. Overall I wish I could have cancelled my last night. Sorry holiday inn but you need to clean this one up.

• Stayed May 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Charlottesville - University Area, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear traci78,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I'm very sorry you were not satisfied with the condition and cleanliness of the hotel. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Ferdinand G
Aberdeen, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

The front desk personnel are professional and helpful. The company is not putting trainees on duty here. As usual, this was a good stay. The good and the mediocre:

Good:

1. Experienced staff who seem to have a knack for the hospitality business.

2. Breakfast: Excellent service and food. The servers are attentive without being annoying. I noticed that they are cordial with the talkative customers, and seem to know that the anti-social [--] like me just want to be served and left alone. I wish they did not return with the "doing all right?" after 4 bites, but I guess that's a standard technique. My tips do all the talking necessary.

3. This is one of those split level motels due to the grading of the hilly area. Recommend asking for a room on 2nd floor, around the room 232 area. You will have ready access to your room through the back door, where there is more parking than in the front area. Every day, I parked no further than 50 feet total from the door of my room.

4. The free coffee is quite good. Hot, lots of sugar and cream, and in a great location to the right of the front desk.

Not so Good:

1. Business office: The scanner is the outdated type where you have to know which software to pull up on the computer. I had to ask the bearded man at the desk (Chuck?) to come and help. He did, and he got my document scanned. It would be much better to either invest in the plug and play scanner or have written instructions on the wall so the front desk person does have to leave his or her post, maybe making a customer wait.

2. Restaurant (Emmet's) for dinner: I brought my daughter for dinner on Sunday night. The restaurant was only open for meals at the bar. The bartender did not have a whole lot of personality. There were 2 big screen TVs which is a good thing, but on one of them there was a violent movie. It was not appetizing to shove steak in my mouth while watching blood spurt from a guy's mouth. I was going to ask Mr. Congeniality to change the channel, but by then my appetite was ruined, plus there were non-dining customers who wanted it on. Tip to bartender: Sports and News are standard in the food serving arena.

3. Access to facility: It is difficult and hazardous making that right-turn only out of the lot onto Route 29. If you think you are going to make that cross-median left turn, forgetaboutit.

4. Exercise Facility: There was no remote for the TV. Too much trouble walking downstairs to the main desk to ask.

5. Laundry room: Fix the detergent dispenser. It is wonderful that you give refunds right away, but have some spare detergent on hand at the desk so you won't have to waste time making the customer fill out a form for 50 doggone cents.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Stayed 3 nights. Clean and very spacious room. Comfortable bed with many pillows of different firmness. Close to university, mall and downtown. Short drive from Monticello (but still not bad). Super friendly staff. Theresa in the bar/restaraunt was wonderful! Reasonably priced room service although I didn't order anything. The pool/fitness room were basic, but then again, I didn't use them. They had a very nice patio with furniture to drink wine or hang out. Our room was along the side of NC 29. Unlike other reviewers, I did not hear any cars or noise from the road at all. Packed hotel from what it appeared, and I heard no noise from the other guests. My only complaint is that our room was on a corner next to the stair well, and the door to the stair well shuts a bit hard. Every time someone went to the stairs, it sounded like they were knocking on our door. No continental breakfast, but free coffee in the lobby. The coffee maker in the room only made one cup each reg and decaf. Overall, we had a very pleasant stay. Can't beat it for the price we paid. Would stay again!

Room Tip: Corner rooms are very spacious.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Winchester, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My daughter and I went away for a weekend just to relax!!! This hotel was very clean and the beds are very comfortable.
The staff was very friendly and helpful. We had a room with a garden view and it was on the 4th floor and it was very quite!!! The room was a very nice size but the bathroom was a little small but clean. This is an older hotel so I think that is why the bathroom is a little small. We did not eat in the hotel or use the pool but both look very nice. The location is wonderful!
We spend time at UVA and also went to Southliving open house.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Charlottesville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Can't say enough about Charles and his team at the Holiday Inn in Charlottesville. They are ALWAYS consistent, reliable and available and 99% of the time, have everything ready and correct when we arrive. The 1% of the time they don't, they genuinely smile and correct it on the spot! Great people, great service great hotel!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Charlottesville - University Area? Share your experiences!