“Really just an "average" property” 3 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1200 Fifth Street SW, Charlottesville, VA 22902   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #20 of 33 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Herndon, VA
“Really just an "average" property”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My son's baseball team reserved a dozen rooms at this location. This is the second year for them, but the first year I have stayed at the property. It will be the last. I'm very surprised at the other people's reviews. I want the room and the price they got! My room was beaten up, bathtub was dirty, bathroom floor tiles cracked, and A/C didn't seem up to the job.

Additionally, we stayed on the 4th floor and we started calling it the phantom floor, because the elevator would pass right by it, and not let us off. This occurred randomly and on several of the elevators, so we couldn't find the way around the problem.

Front desk staff was nice, but that was the hook to get me in. After that, it wasn't a nice stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a floor other than the 4th. Away from the pool if you go to bed early. One was...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Charlottesville-Monticello, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Dear redheadmom23,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. It is nice to know that you found the desk staff to be nice. Please accept our deepest apologies for the issues you had encountered over the room's condition. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be. We hope that you give us a chance to change your perception of our hotel.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Lutz, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I got this hotel on Hotwire.com and it was good for that price. Clean and room with king bed was large. Bathroom very small. Indoor hallways a plus but I have never seen such bland halls. I'm not there for the decor but the hallway looked like a hospital hall, a bit strange for a hotel. Doors bang pretty loud, otherwise quiet. No free breakfast, but good location. Less than 10 minutes to UVA, historic downtown mall and Monticello/Ash Lawn. Would stay again for same price.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Wise, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I've stayed in some high dollar hotels costing much more than this, and I have to say the quality of the rooms in this hotel are actually nicer, especially since the renovations. The hotel is immaculate. Me and my mom both have to come to Charlottesville for medical reasons several times a year, and this is always stay. They give us a discount too, since we are there for health reasons. I highly recommend this hotel, it's conveniently located near I-64, several restuarants, and a grocery store,

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I booked this over Priceline and wasn't disappointed. The rooms are tres modern and chic, and the staff was nice. I paid $75 so I can't complain! It was excellent. One thing: if you park in the front parking lot and panic because you can't see your car, then you've probably parked in the part of the parking lot you can't see because there is a stupid line of trees that blocks that part of the lot from view when you exit the front lobby. I thought my car had been stolen or towed or something! But it was fine.

• Stayed July 2013
philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

The hotel was good, very clean and a great shower head with a lot of pressure.

The only bad thing was that I had such a hard time finding this hotel off of I-64 W. the bushes hide the sign and the hotel is not seen from the road on 5 TH Ave. we had to call the hotel plus ask two people on the street just to find it.

So if you are coming this way I believe it is the first street you come to when you are on 5 TH Ave. there is not a light where you turn.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Harrisonburg, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Upon check in, our sink had scum, dirt and hair - like dumping a dirty bucket & leaving it. Sink clogged and didn't drain. Moldy old windows. Really old fixtures. Pool chairs largely falling apart and lined with mildew and bird droppings. No towels. Door to room didn't close right. Housekeeping missed our room. I went to desk asking to clean it. Hours later - still didn't clean our rooms. Upon checkout - same guy I asked to clean our room never asked how our stay was. I told him about the problems. He said he would ask housekeeping what happened and that was the extent of his care. Bring your own toilet paper and towels. We paid $180/night - area hotels sold out. We would sleep in our car next time.

Room Tip: Noisy highway along pool. Avoid all rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Charlottesville-Monticello, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Mendezdad,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Your satisfaction is important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had with the condition of our facilities, cleanliness and the service you received. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

This holiday inn does not have the free breakfast but the restaurant was good and they have local wines. It is in a quiet location and was relaxing. I will go back when in the area. Very comfortable.we checked in five minutes before the restaurant was closing but the chef still managed to make us a great salmon filet with fresh dill sauce and a prince Michel red that complemented it well.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Holiday Inn Charlottesville-Monticello? Share your experiences!