“Surprisingly good food for a hotel!” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1200 Fifth Street SW, Charlottesville, VA 22902   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #19 of 33 hotels in Charlottesvill...
“Surprisingly good food for a hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

This holiday inn does not have the free breakfast but the restaurant was good and they have local wines. It is in a quiet location and was relaxing. I will go back when in the area. Very comfortable.we checked in five minutes before the restaurant was closing but the chef still managed to make us a great salmon filet with fresh dill sauce and a prince Michel red that complemented it well.

• Stayed June 2013

213 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Based on previous reviews I was quite worried about staying here. However our room and bathroom were both clean and cleaned everyday. Breakfast was very good . All the public areas could do with brightening up, but the staff were friendly and helpful. Nothing is within walking distance despite one review I read, but restaurants etc are all within driving distance.

Room Tip: All rooms appeared OK.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ann Arbor, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We selected this hotel for its location. I would say that it is a stretch for it to be a 3 star. Since it is an older hotel I am sure it would be nicer with some sprucing up. Everyone was friendly and helpful and the breakfast was fine. The room was clean but dated. The WiFi worked well, albeit a bit slowly.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Charlottesville-Monticello, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear barbgoodkin,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are pleased you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide friendly accommodations. I'm very sorry you were not satisfied with the condition of the hotel. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Ferdinand G
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

The room was ok, but the toilets seem to have problems there. We had my grown children staying there and the same problem with their room. It would flush and just keep flushing. We asked our first night for it to be fixed, but no one ever did anything. My son said when they checked in, there was pee all over the toilet seat, they called someone to come and clean it. Our room hadn't been cleaned by 12:45 the next day, at which point we came back & put a do not disturb sign on our door so we could rest and get ready for a wedding. Our niece, who was in a separate room said her room was never cleaned either. It was a very average hotel experience and we wished we would have gone to a Hampton instead, where we seem to have a better experience and breakfast. This hotel is also located on a highway which could be a little noisy at times, even though we weren't closest to it. The front desk people were friendly on check in.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Charlottesville-Monticello, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear sweetea,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I am truly sorry our hotel did not live up to your expectations. I have taken note of your valuable comments and we will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Connie D
White Plains, New York, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Holiday Inn Charlottesville - Monticello
I am currently staying at the hotel and would like to say for the record -
IT AIN'T A 3 STAR!!!! No where near!
Let me start by saying that the check-in process was smooth and the young ladies were superb! Funny, accurate and knowledgeable.
Now the real deal...
I added one night onto my stay but the cleaning staff didn't know that so when we returned to our room after being out all day, the room was clean at first sight. And then I needed to take my shower! Eeeeeooooowwww THEY DO NOT CLEAN THE TUBS!!! (And if a manager responds to this criticism, I took pictures of your carts and there is NOTHING that indicates tub cleaning) I took pictures of ALL of the previous hotel guests scum and then realized that I had already taken a shower! I feel faint! We had to request cleaning supplies and clean it ourselves. And, there are no sponges, they gave a rag.
Secondly, there is previous spillage that wasn't cleaned in the room (pictures as well) of where there is no particular attention to detail. That's just bad management! Really bad! (That's my opinion but I've traveled the world - just saying is all)
Thirdly, really, air conditioners where you must turn the volume up to 50 to hear the TV? Or where it sounds like an 18 wheeler idling in the parking lot and we are on the 4th floor. Totally unacceptable!!
Lastly, on the morning of the valedictorian commencements, I ordered coffee and waited. As a matter of fact, I'm STILL waiting. Why? BECAUSE SHE FORGOT TO GET MY ROOM NUMBER!!! Really? In this day and age 1) you can't identify the room number and/or persons calling, and, 2) shouldn't asking for a room number be a standard practice when taking an order if you cant identify who's calling? Any order?
Management issue? I think yes.
I happen to enjoy the HI chain - Intercontinental, Express and Crowne Plaza but this one in particular needs to meet the 21st century. Thomas Jefferson wouldn't even want to stay here!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Charlottesville-Monticello, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear NewYorker0122,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding our housekeeping, the air conditioning and customer service. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
White Plains
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Holiday Inn Charlottesville - Monticello
I am currently staying at the hotel and would like to say for the record -
IT AIN'T A 3 STAR!!!! No where near!
Now the real deal...
Management issue? I think yes.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Charlottesville-Monticello, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear V N G,

Orlando A.
Lancaster
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Nice enough room, but that is expected at a Holiday Inn or similar chain. On the other hand, a dirty room service tray sat in the hallway for almost 24 hours. Staff could manage to tear themselves away from private conversation to be helpful. I-64 traffic noise is present. Cannot open a room window on a beautiful day. The hotel did provide the best rate for a weekend getaway, however.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the front would have less road noise.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Charlottesville-Monticello, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Dear Ravensburger,

We appreciate that you took the time to share your review of your recent experience at our property. Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced and we regret our hotel did not live up to your expectations in some aspects of your stay. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.

We have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer.

Joel B
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Charlottesville-Monticello? Share your experiences!