“Eh this place” 2 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1200 Fifth Street SW, Charlottesville, VA 22902   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #20 of 33 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Eh this place”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We paid 90 dollars for a tiny room/bed that was dirty thank god we only stayed one night. We found someones dirty baby clothing under the bed. The bathroom smelled soooo bad I dont know why it looked clean but smelled of sewage. The vent in the bathroom was busted open and stuffed with lots of dust and lent. Someone pulled the fire alarm while we were staying and I called the front desk and the lady said "Uh we don't know whats going on but we are investigating you should probably evacuate in case." Which followed up with me rushing my fiance out of the shower and getting him dressed to go and having them call us back saying never mind. I went to workout and that honestly was the best part of the hotel the workout room lol! When I went though to work out it was 9am and there was food all over the hallways and laundry everywhere which wouldn't be an issue if I saw house keeping somewhere. They were also renovating the place which made the elevators dusty. Wouldn't be staying here again. Also the view from the room was a bunch of dumpsters and the gross moldy pool. I wish I would have taken more photos but my fiance insisted that I stop once I showed him the pictures of the vents.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Charlottesville-Monticello, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Mackattack89,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received poor service from housekeeping and front desk and for the fire alarm during your stay which was unacceptable. We will look into these point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I stayed two nights here. The hotel is conveniently located near the interstate, just an exit down from the Michie Tavern and Monticello. The staff was friendly. My room and the bathroom were clean and comfortably sized. Except for the flat screen TV, furnishings seem to date from the 80's, but if I recall the 80's correctly, beds, chairs, and drawers were all serviceable. The bed was very comfortable -- more so than my bed at home. I did not eat at the hotel, and the pool was closed (February).

My 5th floor room faced the highway. Some hotels seem insulated from highway noise, but this one isn't one of them. There were times that the passing trucks seemed so loud that I thought my window was open. I suppose that's to be expected when you're so close to the highway. What's *not* to be expected is a trash truck in the parking lot at 4:10am. This is a particular complaint of mine. Boiled down to its bare essence, a hotel is in business to provide its customers with a place to sleep. Everything else is just an amenity. Why can they not insure that the trash (with all its associated banging and backup beeping) is picked up during normal waking hours, and allow their guests some sleep? There is no way that it didn't wake up the half of the hotel facing the parking lot. I can understand when it's a neighboring business, the manager might not be able to do much about it. It's unfortunate, and it's not the hotel's fault. But this was the hotel's trash, and it *is* their fault. Sometimes I think hotel managers should spend a night or two in their own hotels. They might learn something.

Room Tip: Get a room on the north side of the hotel, away from the highway and trash bins. There is construct...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Charlottesville-Monticello, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Jimathome,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments. I am happy to read you found our location suitable for your needs. I understand that having a good night sleep is important and it sounds like we fell below your expectations. I am sorry for any inconvenience you experienced due to the level of noise from the trash truck at a particular time of the day. Your feedback will be reviewed and most certainly be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, I would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hotel is right off the highway and within only 10 minutes to the University of Virginia and Monticello. There are many restaurants and shopping places within minutes of the hotel. The room was clean. The front desk people were very polite and they do give you a toothbrush if you forget yours. ( I did!!)

• Stayed January 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

This hotel is exactly what it should be. It's clean, modern, and comfortable. The rooms are nice, and all non-smoking. The staff is efficient and professional, and the amenities won't disappoint. It's also well-located: Right off the interstate, and very convenient to important attractions. The downside is that you'll have to drive a bit for a decent meal. The hotel restaurant isn't expensive, but it's a half-hearted affair at best. And there's nothing but fast food within walking distance. This is not your best option if you're arriving late or tired, and don't want to go out for supper. And, there being a restaurant on premises, you'll get no complimentary breakfast.

Room Tip: I had a room near the elevators and didn't near a thing.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Just off I-64, easy access to downtown restaurants, UVA, Monticello. Several gas stations, CVS, Food Lion, fast-food places on same road so you can get just about anything you need in a couple minutes. Friendly & helpful checkin. Well-equipped & large room facing front of hotel, high floor and quiet. Everything clean, everything worked, think it was called executive king so may have been a little larger than most? Very comfortable bed. Convenient, no-hassle location for touring.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed over Thanksgiving and found the staff happy to go the extra mile to meet every need of visitors. Everyone was extraordinarily helpful and welcoming. When someone needed to heat yap a dish staff took the dish to the kitchen. When there were special health needs staff did everything possible to help. Q

• Stayed November 2012
Frederick, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

This Old veteran got make over and the room looked better than the last time I stayed here. Clean with a comfy bed and a big flat screen tv.

The location is good right off I64 and convenient to Monticello but too close to the interstate so you hear the road noise all night long. I could also hear the smokers chatting in the parking lot.

The price makes it a good value if you can overlook the noise.

• Stayed December 2012

Been to Holiday Inn Charlottesville-Monticello? Share your experiences!