“Poor attention to detail” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #15 of 33 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Alexandria, Virginia
“Poor attention to detail”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Courtyard by Marriott North Charlottesville

(Guest from room 146 a couple weeks back):

For an upscale motel and apparently recently renovated one, looks like they haven’t completed the punch list and don’t have a daily room checklist:

Bathroom - There were two switches, one for the light which worked and another which I’m not sure it did anything other than buzz. It seems it should have vented the room as it got totally steamy after a shower. The shower had two spots for soap, but both filled with water that would not drain – poor design. There were no glasses in the bathroom for brushing teeth or rinsing out mouth, etc. There were two sets of glasses in other rooms. Why not in bathroom instead? The bathroom door towel/robe hook was way off kilter (I played with it to get it straight but it was loose enough to later slip off kilter again).

Bedroom – the door would not close. It slammed into the frame. This resulted is a lack of privacy as one of our party slept on the hide-a-bed sofa. The bedroom radio/alarm clock was set one hour ahead, even as the time zone changed weeks ago. I couldn’t figure out how to reset it. I guess I could have set an alarm for an hour later than reality so that it would wake me on actual time. There was a lamp whose bulb was kaput. This was the switched floor lamp so housekeeping should have noticed it when cleaning the room. Someone left a new bulb in the other (main) room, I don’t know if it was a just-in-case bulb or if it was left on purpose and they merely forgot to replace the defective one in the bedroom. I hope they didn’t think the guest was supposed to do the swap. My wife couldn’t get the new bulb in the lamp as the bulb had two prongs at bottom to screw in to the fixture. It took me a while to figure out how to put it in (it didn’t just screw in, I had to tip the lamp over to look in and get access to fix it).

Hotel Lobby:

Lobby bathroom near the breakfast/lunch area – one of our party used the men’s room after we sat down to eat breakfast. The soap dispenser was out of soap. I assume this was the one the food people would also have used. This was around 1030 the morning so it should have been serviced already. Annoying to guests, plus unsanitary for kitchen help unless they had a private bathroom.

Bottom line:

I mentioned all this to the lobby clerk when we were checking out and she said she was going to pass it along. All personnel we dealt with during our stay were great, but attention to detail was woefully lacking as detailed above. I don’t expect this kind of experience from an industry leader such as Marriott, especially in a suites motel (supposedly recently renovated) and a not inexpensive one at that. Fixable but the hotel needs focus.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Elizabeth P, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Charlottesville North, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear toutep72, Thank you very much for your detailed feedback about your room while you were our guest. I am terribly sorry that we did not deliver the outstanding accommodations you deserved. We immediately had our engineer service the room to take care of the issues you reported. I appreciate you taking the time to let us know so that we could make it perfect for the next guest. I also wanted to apologize for running out of hand soap in the lobby restroom. That should not have happened, but please know that our staff uses a separate restroom from our guests. Additionally we, have multiple hand washing sinks for our Bistro staff to ensure we adhere to our strict hygiene requirements. Thank you again for your feedback. I hope that you will allow us the opportunity to have you as our guest again soon. Sincerely, Elizabeth P.-General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Richmond
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Unfortunately the room key machine wasnt working but Mansel at the front desk was kind and walked me to my room, he was very kind and calm even though he was busy! Great job will definitely stay again!

• Stayed December 2014
Dear Mitchell K., Thank you so much for you very nice compliment about our customer service! I appreciate the time you took to let us know. We look forward to seeing you again soon on your next trip to Charlottesville! Thank you again, Elizabeth P.-General Manager
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

LOVE that the room had a sofa & a "balcony" that you could actually step out onto (very narrow but you CAN stand there for some fresh air). So clean I would guess it was new or newly renovated. The room was a "5".

The layout of the hotel? "1" maybe even a "0".
So picture rectangle w/the lobby (x) on the short end in front of you. Each short end also extends out a little further. My room was in the back left "extended" corner, 1 room away from being as far away from the lobby as you could get.
_____ *
| |
_|__|_
x
For most hotels, not a problem For this one, DISASTER. I was told it would be easiest to park in the rear-right-side of the hotel lot (*) since there was an elevator there to take me to the 3rd floor. I still had to walk around 200 steps to get to the room (long hall). I decided to park on the left side of the rear lot & just walk up & down the 3 flights. To get to the "Bistro" by the lobby? Wow - it was 400-500 steps to get there for breakfast. The layout is WAY too inconvenient and the halls area extremely long. IMPOSSIBLE for elderly or anyone w/even a small walking disability.

I stayed here because the Marriott Fairfield was booked. I would stay here if the Fairfield is booked again but NOT if I can't get a room closer to the lobby/front.

Oh, and very hard to find late at night. Ask for directions. It's not far from Rt. 29 but you can't see the lights when driving down the side road to get to it.

REMEMBER, THE CLEANLINESS & ROOM COMFORT IS A 5. The rest? 1

Room Tip: Must be near the lobby!
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Dear CAGL, Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us a review! I'm so glad that you loved the room and its cleanliness. Please know that we always try and accommodate our guests' preferences for room location. Just let us know when you make your reservation! Everyone seems to have their favorite area and so we do everything we can. We look forward to seeing you again soon! Thank you again. Sincerely, Elizabeth P.-General Manager
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stayed in a suite and really liked having the separate living room space with a microwave and mini-refrigerator. I booked the Bed & Breakfast rate and breakfast was delicious and convenient. At check-in, I asked what we could order for breakfast and was told we could order anything on the menu. It turned out that there were exceptions (like a smoothie--huh?), so make sure you double-check when you are ordering and review your bill. I had to have two breakfast charges removed.The fitness room is tiny and very busy. A soccer team was there and the equipment was constantly in use. You will have to wait if you go in the morning. It's a clean hotel and very convenient with pleasant, professional staff.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Elizabeth P, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Charlottesville North, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear michiganshopper, Thank you very much for taking the time to share a review of our hotel! I'm so glad you found one of our breakfast inclusive rates a good value. I do apologize for the confusion about the offerings and bill. We do include everything with our packages, including our smoothies, but it would be one of two continental offerings and not included with a hot entree. I am sorry we didn't explain that well. I appreciate the feedback and will share it with the staff. Thank you again for your review; we look forward to having you as our guest again soon! Sincerely, Elizabeth P.-General Manager
Covington, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2014

We were at this Courtyard Marriott for a wedding. The hotel met all our expectations. Guest Service Samantha went out of her way to be accommodating. Staff was friendly and helpful. Room was clean and temperature comfortable.

Two small issues. We were in Room 111 - Shower would leak onto bath room floor no matter how we had the shower curtain arranged. Checkout time is listed as noon. We had not checked out and maid walked into room at 11:30 and looked at us as if we should have been checked out. She left quickly.

Room Tip: We were in room 111 - King with sofa. Overlooked parking lot, but convenient to lobby.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Elizabeth P, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Charlottesville North, responded to this review, November 19, 2014
Dear h0kie, Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review! I'm so happy that we met all your expectations and you found our staff, especially Samantha, friendly and helpful. I apologize for our over eager housekeeper! Thank you for your understanding. Thank you as well for letting us know about your shower. I'll have our engineer see how we can take care of that. We look forward to seeing you the next time you visit the Charlottesville area! SIncerely, Elizabeth P.-General Manager
DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2014

Hotel staff were very nice and accommodating. At check in, the room rate was automatically adjusted to the corporate rate we were entitled to as well as modified to include breakfast.

The hotel is a bit of a drive from UVA.

I have stayed at the Courtyard at the University as well, and I would choose the Courtyard North location first as it is quieter and the friendly staff make up for the inconvenience of not being next to campus.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear tennismomma, Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us a review and for choosing to stay with us during such exciting times ! We always love our UVA weekends when families come to town. Thank you for choosing to stay with us. I'm so happy you found our staff so accomodating. That is what we are here for! Thank you again for your review and we look forward to seeing you again soon! Sincerely, Elizabeth P.-General Manager
Virginia, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2014

Stayed two nights over parents weekend for UVA and overall a good experience. Very nice welcome from the front desk and I wish I would have got her name as she was there all three days and always had a nice word to say or a helpful hint. The entire staff was very good and that is what takes my rating to a 4. The hotel itself is in a good, safe location with plenty of dining and shopping areas close by. The set-up of the hotel is a little odd as the elevator is at the rear of the hotel and the front desk is at the front and it's a split-level type set-up so it took a few minutes of aimlessly walking around before I got my bearings. I'm glad I asked for a 2nd floor interior room as this got us a balcony which was nice and also I don't care for ground floor rooms. The room itself was clean although it was a touch small but the furnishings were modern and functional. The pool and jacuzzi area was great with plenty of towels and very clean. The restaurant was a bit of a bust as the prices were high and the selection was low, we had breakfast our first morning and didn't return after that due to the poor value and quality of food. Overall a good stay and I would return although I wouldn't use the dining facilities.

Room Tip: Top floor (2nd floor) interior room, you won't be sorry!!!
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Dear TravelinEvertonian, Thank you so much for staying with us over UVA Parents' Weekend! It's always one of our favorites fall weekends with all the happy families coming to visit their students. Thank you as well for taking the time to leave such a thoughtful review. I'm very happy to hear that the staff made all the difference for you and that you found our rooms modern and the pool area great! I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your breakfast in our Bistro. We have seasonal specials throughout the year added to our core menu that you might enjoy next time. Thank you again for your review; we look forward to having you as our guest again soon. Sincerely, Elizabeth P.- General Manager

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Charlottesville North? Share your experiences!