“Good but need slight improvements” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Richmond, Virginia
“Good but need slight improvements”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

My fiancé and I are trying to work our way around the local area and hidden restaurants so we arrived here almost at closing time -which seem to be rather early 9pm especially since there is a hotel right behind the restaurant. The location takes a bit to get to but the scenery is really nice right off the river. The food was good I had the fried shrimp (not much of a seafood eater) and my fiancé had the rib eye. My only complaint was that the shrimp were not deveined and I was shocked but I cleaned them before I ate them. I thought all restaurants deveined there shrimp nowadays but I guess not- when we go back I will request to have this done when placing my order. Other than that everything was great!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Poor quality food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

My wife and I had dinner at Blue Heron Seafood Restaurant yesterday. We were very disappointed at its food. The overall quality of seafood in this restaurant is far below average. It was not only because of cutting corners in using sub-quality materials, but also poor cooking/and poor food safety practice (in thawing crab meat).

My wife ordered crab-mignon plate and I ordered sampler plate. We shared our food. The crab cakes in both our plates had bitter taste. It was obviously made of stone crab, mud crab, or other cheap crab meat, rather than more expensive and higher quality blue crab meat. The worst thing in its crab cake was its strong fishy smell. The cake was made upon orders. The meat must be thawed in refrigerator for days and had lost its freshness.

The mignon steak actual was a small piece of mignon connected with a large piece of brisket with excessive fat and collegians. The grilled mignon was so bitter that I could not swallow it. My wife had to scrape all grill marks on the meat to get rid of the bitterness.

We both ordered green vegetable as side order. It was a scoop of dark canned kale with some sour/fermented smell, We tasted a little bit and lost our appetite.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Williamsburg, Virginia
“VERY Casual - sans tourists”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

As other reviewers have noted this is a well hidden, out of te way, place. From what I could tell on the night I was there, there seemed to be more folks who arrived by boat than by car. This makes for a spot not too far from Williamsburg which sees few tourists.

We chose, even on the hot July night, to eat on the covered patio rather than in the crispy cool interior. The view was something idyllic with boats up and down the river. We watched the water ferry dock a number of times and drop customers off on the dock.

The place is extremely casual, with well-worn shorts and t-shirts the norm. Lots of locals.

We were seated quickly and the waitress followed immediately. Drinks were ordered and delivered just as quickly (there's a bar in the interior). There was a good selection of both meat and seafood dishes, including crab, crabcakes, catfish, flounder, sea scallops, clams, etc. My wife had the flounder; I, the sea scallops. Both were very good. The only downside to the meal was my wife's vegetable medley - which was on that night not a medley but rather all broccoli. They should have put the broccoli where the rest of medley went - it was soggy & overlooked.

They had a great assortment of desserts. Between the couple we were dining with, we tried 3 of their chocolate specialties - all excellent.

All-in-all a delightful experience. We'll be back.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great view, good food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I keep my boat at River's Rest Marina where the Blue Heron is located. For a country restaurant in Charles City, VA, this place is great! I get the fried oysters almost every time and there's no extra charge for onion rings, a plus. My family tries other entrees and they are always delicious. There is outside dining overlooking the beautiful Chickahominy River. Food is consistently good and the wait staff always friendly and attentive.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Fun place to eat overlooking the Chickahominy River”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Foods OK, but we go more for the casual atmosphere, and the view overlooking the Chickahominy River.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere