“Plantation lunch” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Entertaining clients, Romantic, Doing business, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Richmond, Virginia
“Plantation lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

A lady at Shirley plantation recommend this restaurant. Great food and in a lovely old home. Great way to top off our plantation tours in Charles City.

• Visited June 2014

Toano, Virginia, United States
“Superb meal, great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

We enjoyed Father's Day Brunch at Charles City Tavern today and thoroughly enjoyed it. We were surprised by a fixed menu but there were enough options that we weren't disappointed in the selections. They were a little overwhelmed because of the number of diners but very minor issues were quickly and professionally overcome. Located along scenic and historic Rt 5 that runs along the James River between Richmond and Williamsburg, this restaurant is worth a stop. From the salads to dessert everything was perfect. My wife enjoyed the quiche and I had the Virginia Jambalaya and both were made with high quality ingredients. Very tasty meal. This might not have been one of the best meals I've had in a restaurant but it deserves five stars. We'll be going back soon.

• Visited June 2014
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Excellent Virginia meal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

The guide at Shirley Plantation recommended this tavern to us, and she was SO right! The jambalaya exceeded our high expectations. I had never had fried green tomatoes before but I will again after tasting them here. But best of all was the bread pudding with bourbon sauce--we made a special detour to get another slice the next day.

• Visited May 2014
Roanoke, VA
“A Hidden Treasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

This was one of the best meals we had during our long weekend. What a surprise to find such fresh and "different" food in the middle of nowhere. The staff was friendly and attentive. The location was quite peaceful. The only thing I could have done without was having a cat rub up against my legs. Everything we ate was delicious, from the pecan crusted brie cheese appetizer to my farm meatloaf, and the portions were quite generous. My husband could almost not finish his steak with blue cheese...almost! Wish I could have left room for dessert. Highly recommend.

• Visited April 2014
Richmond, Virginia
“Delicious choices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

Enjoyed Easter lunch today. It was a three course meal with either soup or salad; several entrees to choose from and several desserts. I had the salad, pork loin and pecan bread pudding drizzled in bourbon caramel sauce. The meal was delicious. My dad, sister, and nephew had the crab cakes and raved about them. Mom had the quiche and couldn't say enough. The rolls served prior to the meal were warm and delicious. It was $30 each and included a 20 percent gratuity. The wait staff was attentive and portions were huge. Will definitely plan on going back for another special occasion. The regular menu has different choices where you don't have to have three courses.

• Visited April 2014