“Great stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 14 hotels in Chantilly
Maryland
“Great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2009

I stayed for nearly a week in January, 2009 while I was attending a conference in a nearby city. The staff was very courteous and the continental breakfast was ample. My room was always clean and the hotel was conveniently located to several traffic arteries. It also has a indoor pool, which I liked. Good stay.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business

270 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2009

I stayed at the hotel for a couple of days for business. What a nice hotel !!! I have never stayed at a Wingate Hotel but what a surprise. The rooms were clean and large. The breakfast items in the morning made a good start for the day and it was FREE. The front desk staff were polite and helpful. I even ran into the General Manager in the hallway in passing and he stopped and talked to me about my stay and if there was anything that I needed. This was a first.

I've stayed at other Wingate Hotels since, but this hotel was by far the best property to date. The other ones have been some what of a let down after staying at this Wingate Hotel. This was the cause of my delay in posting my review. Keep up the good work!!!!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2009

This hotel is a great affordable alternative to D.C. hotels, especially with the free parking. My family and I stayed at the Wingate Inn Chantilly when we decided to visit the Washington D.C. area. The staff was very friendly, the room was spacious and clean. The location is close to the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum and an easy drive to the sights in D.C.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
NYC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2009

I am a frequent traveler (Business and Pleasure) and have never taken the time to review a hotel, as I feel that Trip Advisor is usually spot on. However, since this was the single worst hotel experience, I feel it necessary to take the time to warn other travelers. We have also written a complaint to the hotel manager so we are upfront with the staff and have not received a response to date.

Were there on business for a conference and this was one of the hotels recommended by the venue. There were several options, but we chose this one as it is a few blocks from the expo center.

We requested 3 rooms with kingsize beds. We emailed the staff a week prior to our stay of and confirmed with Manager in writing who assured us King Size beds were confirmed for all our reserved rooms. When we arrived a very unapologetic staff member let us know no king size beds were available for any of the three rooms and even though we had written confirmation they couldn't help us. We each were given double bed rooms instead. Again, had we not been assured the king size we would have booked elsewhere.

As I sat in the room late night trying to work at night, the internet, both wifi and ethernet connection was so slow that it was unusable.

I decided to turn in for sleep. The pillow had no form. And by no form it was as if someone stuck a cotton balls in a sack. I would have been better suited to take the mini pillow from the airplane. I went though both beds and all the pillows were the as same. I have never seen such a cheap pillow and was shocked at just how uncomfortable they were.

To make matters worse the planes were constantly landing, what seemed like overhead, every 20 minutes and I had a brief moment where i thought about the scene in "My Cousin Vinny" with the train. I wager some of the other hotels in the area were better suited or had thicker walls to defray some of the sound.

And as a final insult to the evening, I heard scurrying around the room throughout the night. What sounded like a critter was coupled with the air conditioning kicking on and off during the evening to make for a comically awful night. I had no sleep and was a mess for the conference. When I awoke I decided to take a shower, where they placed a bath mat. Unlike other hotels that have the mat carefully secure to the shower, this one floated like a hovercraft when water got under it and instead of giving me "no-slip" support, I was trying for the entire to keep my balance and not slip and kill myself the entire shower.

So there you have it. You be the judge and proceed with caution. I only wanted a stop over with my team to get some sleep after a long day of traveling, but was treated to the single worst hotel experience ever. My other coworkers were treated to the same experience so I figure this review is as good as three separate reviews. I am sure there are other hotels in the vicinity with better reviews for you to consider.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
wgm5286, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Chantilly / Dulles Airport, responded to this review, June 16, 2009
The wingate by Wyndham strives to give our guests the best experience possible. This review surprises me1 All email goes thru my box and I have no records of sent or received for reservation requests during that period. As the General manager I handle all guests issues and have no records of a guest complaint directly with the hotel or Customer care department of Wyndham. Be assured all issues are handled until resolved, and our previous reviews prove it.
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

Hi, I've been to Chantilly, VA. On the corner is Marriot and Wingate big chain hotels. On 1 corner is Longhorn steakhouse, Boib Evan's family restaurant. On 1 corner is Pizza Hut & Sichuan chinese food. On 1 corner is Sully Plaza, a typical strip mall. Behind Sichuan is a Seafood & Subs place. There's plenty of places to eat around these two hotels.

Madras
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2008

Clean, lots of amenities, convenient to shopping, and to the National Air & Space Museum. The staff shuttled us to the museum at opening time, no charge, and picked us up when we called in the late afternoon. It saved us a parking fee and hassle in finding the museum.
The breakfast room had tea, coffee, chocolate, available at all times, though the premade tea in the big urn was a surprise. As a tea drinker, I thought I had found the promised land, but alas, tea that sits in a big heated urn for hours is pretty awful. I give them an E for effort, though, and there were bags plus a convenient hot water spigot to make my own fresh tea.
Great pool and hot tub, quiet location, everything we could want was right there.
We will stay here whenever we are in Virginia.

• Liked — the shuttle to the museum
  • Disliked — no onsite museum
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
nyc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2008

In March 2008 our family and my sister's family stayed here for 2 nights. The staff was very helpful and friendly. When we checked in, the room we were given reeked of cigarette smoke. I went back to the front desk and they immediately changed our rooms, taking care to keep both families as close together as possible. The facility was clean and well-kept. The breakfast was good. If you've stayed at any Wingate location, the free breakfast is pretty much the same at all. Fresh eggs, make-your-own-waffles, etc.

The indoor pool was a treat in chilly March and the kids totally enjoyed it. The hotel is about 20 minutes from DC and we had no trouble commuting there for our sightseeing.

The next time we're in the DC Area, this hotel would be our hands down choice again.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Wingate by Wyndham Chantilly / Dulles Airport? Share your experiences!