“Worst Hotel Experience Ever!” 1 of 5 stars

Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 15%
Ranked #9 of 14 hotels in Chantilly
NYC
“Worst Hotel Experience Ever!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2009

I am a frequent traveler (Business and Pleasure) and have never taken the time to review a hotel, as I feel that Trip Advisor is usually spot on. However, since this was the single worst hotel experience, I feel it necessary to take the time to warn other travelers. We have also written a complaint to the hotel manager so we are upfront with the staff and have not received a response to date.

Were there on business for a conference and this was one of the hotels recommended by the venue. There were several options, but we chose this one as it is a few blocks from the expo center.

We requested 3 rooms with kingsize beds. We emailed the staff a week prior to our stay of and confirmed with Manager in writing who assured us King Size beds were confirmed for all our reserved rooms. When we arrived a very unapologetic staff member let us know no king size beds were available for any of the three rooms and even though we had written confirmation they couldn't help us. We each were given double bed rooms instead. Again, had we not been assured the king size we would have booked elsewhere.

As I sat in the room late night trying to work at night, the internet, both wifi and ethernet connection was so slow that it was unusable.

I decided to turn in for sleep. The pillow had no form. And by no form it was as if someone stuck a cotton balls in a sack. I would have been better suited to take the mini pillow from the airplane. I went though both beds and all the pillows were the as same. I have never seen such a cheap pillow and was shocked at just how uncomfortable they were.

To make matters worse the planes were constantly landing, what seemed like overhead, every 20 minutes and I had a brief moment where i thought about the scene in "My Cousin Vinny" with the train. I wager some of the other hotels in the area were better suited or had thicker walls to defray some of the sound.

And as a final insult to the evening, I heard scurrying around the room throughout the night. What sounded like a critter was coupled with the air conditioning kicking on and off during the evening to make for a comically awful night. I had no sleep and was a mess for the conference. When I awoke I decided to take a shower, where they placed a bath mat. Unlike other hotels that have the mat carefully secure to the shower, this one floated like a hovercraft when water got under it and instead of giving me "no-slip" support, I was trying for the entire to keep my balance and not slip and kill myself the entire shower.

So there you have it. You be the judge and proceed with caution. I only wanted a stop over with my team to get some sleep after a long day of traveling, but was treated to the single worst hotel experience ever. My other coworkers were treated to the same experience so I figure this review is as good as three separate reviews. I am sure there are other hotels in the vicinity with better reviews for you to consider.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
wgm5286, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Chantilly / Dulles Airport, responded to this review, June 16, 2009
The wingate by Wyndham strives to give our guests the best experience possible. This review surprises me1 All email goes thru my box and I have no records of sent or received for reservation requests during that period. As the General manager I handle all guests issues and have no records of a guest complaint directly with the hotel or Customer care department of Wyndham. Be assured all issues are handled until resolved, and our previous reviews prove it.

322 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

Hi, I've been to Chantilly, VA. On the corner is Marriot and Wingate big chain hotels. On 1 corner is Longhorn steakhouse, Boib Evan's family restaurant. On 1 corner is Pizza Hut & Sichuan chinese food. On 1 corner is Sully Plaza, a typical strip mall. Behind Sichuan is a Seafood & Subs place. There's plenty of places to eat around these two hotels.

Madras
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2008

Clean, lots of amenities, convenient to shopping, and to the National Air & Space Museum. The staff shuttled us to the museum at opening time, no charge, and picked us up when we called in the late afternoon. It saved us a parking fee and hassle in finding the museum.
The breakfast room had tea, coffee, chocolate, available at all times, though the premade tea in the big urn was a surprise. As a tea drinker, I thought I had found the promised land, but alas, tea that sits in a big heated urn for hours is pretty awful. I give them an E for effort, though, and there were bags plus a convenient hot water spigot to make my own fresh tea.
Great pool and hot tub, quiet location, everything we could want was right there.
We will stay here whenever we are in Virginia.

• Liked — the shuttle to the museum
  • Disliked — no onsite museum
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
nyc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2008

In March 2008 our family and my sister's family stayed here for 2 nights. The staff was very helpful and friendly. When we checked in, the room we were given reeked of cigarette smoke. I went back to the front desk and they immediately changed our rooms, taking care to keep both families as close together as possible. The facility was clean and well-kept. The breakfast was good. If you've stayed at any Wingate location, the free breakfast is pretty much the same at all. Fresh eggs, make-your-own-waffles, etc.

The indoor pool was a treat in chilly March and the kids totally enjoyed it. The hotel is about 20 minutes from DC and we had no trouble commuting there for our sightseeing.

The next time we're in the DC Area, this hotel would be our hands down choice again.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Orlando
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2007

I just got back from staying here at Dulles Wingate and I must say it was one of the most safest places I had stayed before. I must say whe we checked in it was after 3pm and the Hazy center was open till 5pm and the driver brought us to there and came back for us without waiting long at all. When the driver picked us up we were hungry and he even drove us to a Wendy's for dinner at drive thru, I must say that was awesome and a load off my tired legs from driving from WV. The hotel front desk named "MAX" was so polite and very informational on everything I needed to know. My kids loved the fresh baked complimentry cookies (all kinds) for them to grab and free hot cocoa. I also enjoyed the Whirlpool and indoor heated pool and let me tell you it hit the spot after walking alot. I also enjoyed the buisness center cause it had free internet and free faxes and copies if needed (gotta check that email you know ) I also enjoyed the free breakfast with eggs, susage, muffins, and cereal and alot more I can't think of right now. I would say if you are wanting a close place to relax before going home on a flight or even going to DC to see the sites this place is it. I will stay here again cause it was like 20 minutes to DC and you didnt have to pay DC rates for a hotel and it had the quiet comfort of being safe here with all the free etc's to enjoy. I hope this helps you when traveling cause Tripadvisor rocks for info. PS go into Leesburg right down the road a bit and see all the history and little stores.

• Liked — Very close to DC and the free shuttle to the airport and the Hazy center
  • Disliked — Nothing at all... Loved it
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2007

The Wingates are a good choice for business travel when all you want out of a room is space, internet access, and basic creature comforts, including a reasonable complimentary breakfast. It's almost indistinguishable from the Holiday Inn Express product, and several others. However, the price, at least during the time of my recent stay, was more attractive than any of the competing establishments nearby. As our business kept us there over the weekend, having the rate cut in half on weekends helped. This particular establishment seems pretty new, and everything was clean and in good working order. There are plenty of chain restaurants nearby, some within walking distance. For a change from cookie-cutter restaurants, there is a particularly good Thai restaurant ("Thai Basil") a little way west on Hwy 50.
One warning is in order however: on check-out the bill showed the same rate for every night of my stay. It took what I felt was an unreasonable amount of persuasion to have the bill altered to reflect the weekend rates that applied to 2 nights of my stay, as per the original quote that was received when the booking was made.

• Liked — Nothing special.
  • Disliked — Incorrect bill on check-out.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Vancouver, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2007

I chose the Wingate based on its proximity to Dulles Airport. We had an early flight out, so we wanted as short a drive as possible.

I was not familiar with the chain, and was a bit nervous as I'd picked a non-refundable rate. We were pleasantly surprised by the hotel. It was bland and a non-luxury hotel, but it had everything we needed.

The room was clean, the internet access was reliable, there was a fridge in the room, the drink machine was relatively cheap (we'd been paying $2 - $3 for bottled water in DC), and it was close to a few places to eat. The room set-up was very handy.

We had a problem with the tv remote - front desk staff were very helpful (but the remote didn't work well even after they put new batteries in). Our A/C broke in the middle of the night (smelled like it overheated) but we didn't want to get up, and I forgot to mention it to the front desk when we checked out. One of the towels had a bit of mildew on it, but there were lots, so we didn't need that one. The in-room coffee was the worst I've ever had. If you can bring a pack from another hotel, or at least some extra whitener / milk / sugar, do. At checkout, the young lady working there didn't know if we'd have to pay a toll en route to the airport, but she seemed like she was probably new.

We didn't get to try the free breakfast as we had to leave before it started (6:00 am - ugh).

We will probably stay here again. I didn't think it was a *great* value, as we paid around $145 / nt (it was a weekday), but my husband stayed there again recently on a Friday, and got an excellent rate (under $70).

Nearby attractions included Milwaukee Frozen Custard (yum - wish they had this in Vancouver!!) and the Udvar-Hazy Center of the National Air and Space Museum (Smithsonian). The frozen custard place was within walking distance, but you were walking next to a highway, so it wasn't pleasant. Udvar-Hazy was a short drive away (and was spectacular!).

• Liked — Proximity to airport, overall convenience and room facilities
  • Disliked — In-room coffee
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Wingate by Wyndham Chantilly / Dulles Airport? Share your experiences!