“Almost 3 stars but...” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Chantilly
Belleville, NJ
“Almost 3 stars but...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

I would have given this place 3 stars because it appears to be the cheapest hotel in the area. You get a lot of value for your money, but some of the inconveniences aren't worth the value. First, I'm writing this while listening to the guy next door snore. The walls must be so thin here that he sounds as if he's in the room with me. I can also hear people having normally voiced conversations in the hallway as if they were sitting right next to me. At 2am, after driving 5 hours to get here and working a full day, it's not the rest I was hoping for.

Second, there is no room service. This is usually a not a big deal because most hotels will give you a list of nearby places that will deliver. Unfortunately this hotel does not, so I was stuck doing my own research on the internet. There are some places within walking distance, but the food is alright at best.

The rooms are large and the wifi works, but when I stay for business I expect a decent level of quiet and food that's easy to get access to. I work a lot of hours when on travel, so maybe if I was staying here for pleasure and had more time to customize my stay I'd have given it a higher rating.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

We spent our entire stay here with our two children. Very happy with the location approximately 22 miles from DC. Only 5 minutes to Dulles Airport. Although we didn't use it, the hotel does have a airport shuttle available. We ate breakfast here every morning. Very pleased. Scrambled eggs offered everyday, make your own waffles, a variety of bagel, muffins, bisquits, cereal, yogurt, juices, fresh fruit, coffee. Alternated offering sausage and hashbrowns. Front desk, Brian, was very helpful in accommodating us to a room with two beds upon arrival, instead of the king/sofa sleeper that had been reserved. Very clean room with refrigerator and microwave. Came in handy for snacks and beverages during our stay. 10 minutes from the Vienna Station to ride the Metro which we used four days out of the week for commuting into DC. Highly recommend taking the Metro instead of driving into DC. Tons of traffic. Especially mid-week. Only disappointment was during our stay the pool was closed until further notice. We were told due to a change in ordinance? Check with hotel prior to stay to see if reopened. Very disappointed but did not affect our stay overall. Very happy with our stay. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms face front parking lot.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

First the good: Value and location. You're not going to find a decent hotel in this area priced this reasonably. If you take back roads, you can make it to Reston/Herndon in 20 minutes during rush hour. There are good restaurants very close (Baja Fresh and a Japanese hibachi restaurant across the street, Santini's New York deli 3 minutes walking is good, and Willard's BBQ is 5 minute drive and is the best BBQ in Washington metro area--although Hill Country BBQ in downtown is also great but so expensive).

Now the bad: The beds are uncommonly soft and saggy. Second, the service is inconsistent. The young Hispanic woman working the front desk is very friendly/helpful, however the older Anglo man could use some personality training. I asked him for a microwave-safe plate one evening and he grumbled and then snapped at me about what size I wanted.

The biggest complaint I have came after check-out. As I was carrying my luggage out I noticed my phone charger on the desk. With my hands full, I thought to myself 'I'll come right back up and grab it.' Of course, by the time I got downstairs I had forgotten about it. I called the front desk later and spoke to someone who said they would call me back within 2 hours. They never called. I called a second time and the young man said they didn't have a phone charger in the lost and found and then tried to rush me off the phone. Although this is really my fault, it would be nice if the hotel staff were properly trained to retain items left behind by patrons instead of throwing items out (or doing Lord knows what with them).

Fitness room is small and sparsely equipped; indoor pool is too small for lap swimming, but seems okay for an evening dip.

Overall, this is a decent property, but not an amazing one.

Room Tip: Higher floors seems to be quieter.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
wgm5286, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Chantilly / Dulles Airport, responded to this review, February 24, 2012
Thank you for Choosing the Wingate by Wyndham. Your comments are very important to us. you help make us better. Hope to see you again in your Travels.
Elkton, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012 via mobile

We have stayed at this location before and found it in as good of shape as two years ago. The free shuttle is handy to get to the airport. They offer parking for your car for a fee while you are gone. The breakfast is great as is the work out room. I would suggest staying higher then the second floor as it over looks the lobby and can be noisy. There is a Lonestar Steak House next door. All in all a great hotel.

• Stayed January 2012
Shenandoah, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

After a fabulous experience in a Wingate at another location, I had hoped this one would be on the same high par. On the plus side, the location is great, they have a complimentary airport shuttle, and most of all the price is extremely reasonable for a large comfortable room that includes breakfast and free parking. On the minus side: our non-smoking room smelled like old stale cigarette smoke -- apparently it used to be a smoking room. But they really need to get the old smoke smell out. We also found a bug walking on the nightstand. No sign of any others, but it was unsettling. The elevators were extremely slow -- we thought we were going to be stuck between floors at one point. The breakfast bar wasn't up to par in that there were no bagels or fresh fruit. All in all, it was an okay stay, just not GREAT like our previous Wingate experience.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Warsaw, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

I, with my family went on a trip recently to the east coast covering DC, New York, and Niagara. For our stay in DC, I booked this hotel in Chantilly, VA for 3 nights. In the whole trip, this part was really superb. As far as the cleanliness is concerned, the room and the beds were very clean. We were not particular about fitness center as the whole plan was around the 2 mile stretch from capitol hill in DC. It looked good from the outside though.
It was nice to have the microwave and fridge inside the room. That helped us for late night dinner. The free continental breakfast was way over the average continental breakfast. They had lots of variety and the staff was very quick to refill the items. There could be a queue if you are little late in reaching the dining area.
This hotel is 25 mins drive to Capitol hill building. In my opinion, that's not too far. The travel time to DC depends on the peak hours. So, my suggestion would be to leave by 8 30 am. The hotel location has the usual eating places (subway, McD, BK etc.) around it within 1 mile radius.
I booked the hotel through priceline as I was getting the room at a good price. The usual worry that concerns many travellers is the number of beds and type (king, queen etc.). I had wanted two queen beds but I was reserved on a king bed room. After my booking, I called the hotel to check the same and the staff person was polite enough to change the room type without us having to contact priceline or extra fee.
Overall, the staff, rooms and food were excellent. As a traveller, I was completely satisfied with this hotel. I would definitely recommend this hotel to every traveller. enjoy your stay in DC!! :)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

This is an e-mail I sent to the manager of this hotel recently and believe it might help anyone looking to stay in the Dulles/DC area.

Good Afternoon Bill,

This was our second stay at your hotel, my wife and I were just as pleased this time as we were the first time a year ago.

Thank you and your staff for a most enjoyable and comfortable stay.

I have filled out the survey that was e-mailed to me by Bill Hall from Wyndham and filled it out with nearly all 10s.

It might interest you to know that after our stay at your hotel we went on to Philidelphia ( 4 Points by Sheraton ), Newark NJ ( Radisson ) and Boston ( 4 Points by Sheraton) and of all the places we stayed, yours was by far the best for, level ,comfort, beds, pillows, value, and friendliness....you should be proud.....we love your place.

Thank you again and thank you for accommodating our budget. ....looking forward to our next stay with you.

GMS

Room Tip: If you are going to DC, the hotel shuttle will take you to the Airport where you can catch a inexpen...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to Wingate by Wyndham Chantilly / Dulles Airport? Share your experiences!