“Big Happy Hour Crowd” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Chantilly, Virginia
“Big Happy Hour Crowd”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Backyard has a tented outdoor area (which is open in warm weather) which is a huge hit with the happy hour crowd and younger people. It is nice that the bar area is separate from the dining room so you can have a quieter dining experience. The food, however, is not so good. Its reminiscent of college cafeteria food (looks good, but not very yummy.) Lots of fun if you're drinking with friends, but not for the discerning palate. Service can be hit or miss.

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Washington DC
“Good Sports Bar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

This restaurant thoughtfully provides a dining room that is completely separate from the bar area. Nice for groups who are with kids or who just don't want to sit in a bar with televisions going. We had lunch here: hubby had the steak sandwich, I had the turkey Rueben. Service was fast and friendly and the food was good and nicely prepared. It was quiet here during lunch time and I'm guessing that things heat up in the evenings or during major sporting events. They have added on a tent like extension with heaters for cold weather that looks like it could be an open air extension of the bar area. All in all. A good, clean place with good sandwiches.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Avoid”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

This used to be a very nice place and great venue for happy hour parties. They say they have the same ownership, but I doubt it. Anyway, we had a very disappointing dinner. The sirloin was the only good item we had. Mashed potatoes were okay, but unremarkable, and fries were fine. Reuben sandwich used to be very good here. This is the second time I had a mediocre one more recently - not terrible but not fresh ingredients. Beef was a bit dry. Gyro was okay but not enough meat. Shrimp tacos were flour tortillas that had grill marks on them - might have been okay, but tasted burnt to the one who ordered them. Ribs were dry and the edges were inedible. Lots of smoky flavor, but that's all - very little meat flavor, spices or sauce. The whole thing went into a doggie bag and might be dumped. Chicken alfredo looked okay, but had a sour smell as if made from expired ingredients. They also went directly into a doggie bag. Drinks served in worn plastic Pepsi cups, like you'd see at a cheap diner. Manager came around a few times, but didn't actually stop to chat. Waitress never smiled, and did not come to refill water. We opted not to complain, because we didn't want to make things worse - just wanted to get out. Should have asked for some of our money back though.

• Visited December 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Fairfax, Virginia
“Disappointing Delivery”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

I live near this place but had not tried it until I saw that they deliver. I ordered a salad and ribs and my husband ordered the prime rib and a loaded baked potato. We were very disappointed. The prime rib was over done and had a hard non-edible edge. The ribs were tough and lacked flavor.

The delivery was timely on a Sunday afternoon and he was still polite when he came to pick up our steak after we complained. We were reimbursed.

Ignore ratings for atmosphere, romance and special occasions. This was a delivery order so we had no experience of the facility itself.

• Visited December 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Bristow, Virginia
“Restaurant is going downhill!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

I have reviewed this place a few times before. It is very convenient for meeting up with my brother in law. Went last Friday night --- will not return anymore. Bar was a happening place. Restaurant had less than 10 tables with people between 6 and 7:30. We were seated and drinks and appetizer order taken. Ordered two chicken quesadillas. They were $9 each! No salsa a little pico and sour cream. Cheese was a qooey mess. 5 of us ordered. My husbands steak came out -- nothing else. Manager happened to stop by. He went to check on it. When my husband was taking his last few bites my chicken sandwich, brother in law salad and sister in law fish tacos arrived. Forgot my mother in law fish. Finally another server brought hers. My chicken sandwich was ok. My husbands steak (use to be there specialty) was not good. 4 entrees, 1 large salad, two appetizers and waters came to $77.38. Service started off good but went down hill. Never refilled our water glasses. Waited a long time for check and even longer to ring up credit card. I tipped about 12% -- too much. Too many other restaurants in the area. Won't go back anymore. No wonder the Manassas location closed.

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
freddy q, Owner at Backyard Grill & Bar, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
To whom it may concern,
I just want to apologize for the poor experience you got the evening you dined with us.
The server you had didn't order your food all right from what I was told and I know that
there is no excuse on are part. I am also not sure why your husband’s steak wasn't good or his favorite anymore because we strive in making sure we serve the best quality food and meats around. We are a scratch free kitchen and we make 97% of our food fresh daily. Please come back in again and give us another try.

I just want to say the reason why Backyard Grill Manassas closed wasn’t because it went under, we didn't want to renew the lease for $23500 a month anymore.