“Consistently good BBQ” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Consistently good BBQ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Here is one thing Willard's has over the other BBQ places around, consistency. The staff is not always friendly or inviting, in fact, they usually seem annoyed with you, but the food is always good. The sausage, the brisket, the chicken and burnt ends are always cooked well, moist and flavorful. The ribs are done to a nice temperature and have not been dry yet.

Another thing Willard's does well are the sides. The dirty rice, green beans, etc are all done well and there are some special sides which pop up occasionally. It used to be you could swap out the dry cornbread they give you for a small side, but now, depending on who is working the register, they will just not give you cornbread.

There are a lot of combinations you can choose from, including multiple meat platters, lots of different sides, and then throw in things like BBQ burritos, Brunswick Stew, there really is something for everyone.

The only two complaints I have are the unfriendly staff and the sweet tea. The tea is always a bit bitter, or oversteeped, or something. It's not a 5 star sweet tea, that's for sure. It's more like a 1 star sweet tea.

Visited October 2012

Northern Virginia
“Blackeyed Corn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Black-eyed peas mixed with corn. One of my newest favorites. I do like the collard greens too. Can't go wrong with any of the meats at Willard's BBQ. Try the burnt ends if you like beef. They also have some specials usually. I like the Cuban sandwich. There is also another sandwich on the board which is not on their online menu, so I forget the name. It's like Jack's combo or something like that, with sausage and pulled pork. And plenty of sauces. I prefer the spicy ones.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Washington, DC
“Some of the best BBQ anywhere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We've been going to Willards for some years, and the food is consistently very good. The ribs are always great, and we've recently tried the burnt ends, which are really something special. Cornbread is good but not outstanding. Sides are the same. The place doesn't have that many seats, but we've always found a table even at busy times. It's not cheap, but prices are not excesive either. Our biggest complaint is that Willards is quite a distance from our home, but we are happy enough when we can find an excuse to stop by. Why not five stars? It's hard to a BBQ place to get that fifth star.....

If you stop, take note of the photos on the wall. They offer a view of an America long gone but somehow still fascinating.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
winkieunc
“Good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I liked the meal a lot. My dad did not like his as much. I had the BBQ, Ribs, dirty rice, and cornbread. The Mac N Cheese was the special that day and it was good. My dad did not like the coleslaw. he said the beans and potato salad were OK.

Visited November 2012
Waynesboro, Va.
“To de for BBQ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Ok, I would never go to this place with my Cardiologist nor with my personal trainer unless I just finished a marathon. But, a guy's gotta have some fun. Willard's is sooooo good. Not a lot of atmosphere, just great food served quickly. The line was almost out the door at 11:45 last Friday morning but my wait for take-out was perhaps 10 minutes. I had what they call soup but I call it "stoop."
It was a fabulous gumbo full of a variety of BBQ'ed meats with great BBQ flavor, beans and rich. My spoon stood upright in it. A pint, the usual serving, is a full meal plus there was a chunk of cornbread with it. On subsequence days, I has two different chili's which were also thick, tasty and amongst he best I've ever had. And all for less than $5.00!!!!!!!!
I've eaten there or had take-out 5 o 6 times and Willard's never disappoints.

• Visited November 2012