“Egg trick gone wrong” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Egg trick gone wrong”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

We went on a coupon deal we purchased on a Saturday night with no reservations. It was not busy and we got right in. We actually had to wait for at least 2 more couples before they would even start to take our orders. The chef totally gave the vibe that he didn't want to be there and while he was doing one of his tricks with the eggs, he lost control of it and it flung toward my husband landing on his brand new shirt, breaking and making a mess everywhere. He just muttered "sorry" and I had to speak up and ask if someone could bring some towels to clean up...he make it seem like it was a big deal to have someone come over.

The food was just average for a Japanese steak house. We had recently been to a different one so in comparing it to that this one couldnt hold a candle to it. We each got the filet which we asked for to be cooked medium...it was a little overdone for our liking. The veggies were pretty good, the rice just OK.

Even with the coupon, it was still a bit pricey. Overall we will not return here.

Visited July 2012

New York City, New York
“Nice time, quick service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

We went here after a day at the Air and Space Museum. We were seated immediately upon entering and had our drinks within minutes. The menu is pretty standard hibachi fare, with a few higher end options. The chef was out to the table pretty quickly (certainly faster than Chantilly traffic moves at that time of day!) and he was very entertaining. His aim with the "food flips" was impeccable and he scored a solid 4 out of 4. The horseradish dipping sauce was excellent and the portions were large. Someone previously noted that the fried rice had no vegetables, and we also found that to be true. On a positive note, the chop sticks offered with dinner were of a much higher quality than those "rough wood" ones found in some other restaurants. Overall, not a bad place to dine.

Gainesville, Virginia
“Bonsai”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

Food is great and of course prepared on the hibachi as you watch. The chef is very entertaining as he prepares the food. It's a little on the pricy side but the show is worth it. Only negative is that they seem to rush you a bit. I'm not sure if this was just Japanese efficency or they were trying turn over the tables as quickly as possible.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Oak Hill, Virginia, United States
“Won't return”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

This restaurant is totally overpriced. I made the mistake of buying a groupon before checking out the prices. For two hibachi meals (calamari & scallops), we paid $32 after using the $15 off groupon. So, they would have cost $47 total without the groupon and we were drinking water. I just think that's too much. What really got me is the $4 we had to pay for fried rice. I have never been to a Hibachi restaurant where fried rice wasn't included!

Besides my problems with the price, I asked if my chicken noodle soup could be replaced with a vegeterian soup since I only eat fish and seafood. The server informed me that it's really fish soup and only tastes like chicken. I did not believe that for a second so asked if he was sure, informing him that I'm allergic to chicken. Once again, he assured me it's fish soup they just call it chicken noodle. Only when I told him that I needed to be 100% sure so I didn't have an allergic attack at his hibachi table did he bring me a vegetarian Miso soup!

The food was good, but too bland for our taste. I think Matsutake in Herndon is much better. It is similarly priced, but they don't charge a ridiculous surcharge for fried rice, the food is much more flavorful, and they've never tried to convince me that chicken noodle soup is vegetarian. I won't return to Otani!

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Chantilly
“A Blaze of Fire Will Put Your Shy Date in your Lap Everytime”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

The Food:
Select Rice or Noodle combo with Seafood, chicken, or steak are the permutations. The food is fried at the hibachi. Full sushi bar and alcohol bar. The taste is pretty good.
Negatives:
The food may not be served at the same temperature because the cook starts with the rice and noodles first before the meats. This means if you are starving then you will nibble on rice or noodles without meats until the chef starts it.
The Entertainment:
Karaoke is in full effect. They will dim the lights on the spot for you.
Catch pieces of chicken or shrimp in your mouth from the flick of the chef across the table. If you are dress sexy in a low cut top then guess where the meat usually lands between. I saw this more than once. Its a laugh.
The fireball is in full effect. That is the camera moment to catch. Be ready, because it gets hot and fades fast. If your date is timid, then she / he will be in your lap during the blaze. I promise it.
The Price: